3/4" Scale J1e

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

JBodenmann

Re: 3/4" Scale J1e

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Rodent nut? Heavens to Betsy I have no idea. I usually try to proof read before I hit Submit. Rodent nut...Rodent nut? I think I may have stripped a gear in the old coconut!
Jack
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

Ooof!

(Spills beer....)
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

RATS! I thought it was a real thing.....

Keith
Sandiapaul

Post by Sandiapaul »

I even googled it!
BAdams

Post by BAdams »

You weren't the only one. :)
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
I think I figured out what a rodent nut is supposed to be... a rod and nut. Silly me!
Jack
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Rodent nut:
Made from petrified rodent testes.
Usually only available in small sizes.

Jack: You are priceless!!
RN
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Thanks RN, well I've had my coffee this morning and hopefully both my brain cells are firing. Hopeful we will have no "Rodent Nuts" this time :lol: Here is a bit of an update on the Franklin power reverse. The ends are mostly finished up and are getting some primer and filler. All the gussets were stuck on with Gorilla super glue as these parts will be used as masters to make molds for investment casting. The ends were shot with self etching primer to smooth things out and create fillets. In some spots extra filleting and void filling was needed so here is something you may find useful. Some primer was squirted into a bottle cap and a tooth pick was used to put some here and there. Because I can do this the gussets were not precisely fitted. And then the toothpick routine, and capillary action did the rest. Some light sanding and filing will be needed to finish things up. Still a couple more masters to be made for the reverser, and then I can finish up the running board supports.
See you in the funny pages...
Jack
Attachments
Franklin1.jpg
Franklin2.jpg
Franklin3.jpg
Franklin4.jpg
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
It was brutally cold here today with the wind roaring. Good day to hang out in the shop near the heater and fiddle with the Little Hudson, mainly the masters for the power reverse. One end of the reverser has a packing ring with five bosses around the shaft that links to the valve gear. Each of the five bosses will have #1-72 stud through it's center. To make this packing ring I used the drill, machine, silver solder, and part off dodge like was used a while ago on the throttle rod packing. Here our work piece in the rotary table. Thats the only trinket I have that will do five divisions. It was center drilled and then drilled 5/32" for the bosses. Then to the lathe, and it was turned down as in the third photo. Last photo here it is being well fluxed and assembled for silver soldering.
Attachments
Franklin10.jpg
Franklin11.jpg
Franklin12.jpg
Franklin13.jpg
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

The 5/32" round pieces were tap drilled for a #1-72 tap before assembly. Here is the whole mess silver soldered together. It was then faced off, drilled and had the center cut out with a brand new 9/16" end mill. It was parted off, and then the packing ring was also parted off. The next two photos show why. The next to last photo shows the bolt bosses fitted to the end casting with the packing ring along side. This is one of them "delightful little puzzles" that I often ramble on about. The power reverse is mostly done now and I can proceed with the last running board support, which holds the Franklin power reverse. Later on once I start on the cab I will make the hand wheel and indicator unit that fits there. On the full size J1's the hand wheel assembly fit alongside the boiler but on a model that can make it difficult to get at so I will probably move it aft bit and angle it towards the center of the cab. Our last snappy for now is as far as progress progressed today.
See you later alligator.
Jack
Attachments
Franklin14.jpg
Franklin15.jpg
Franklin16.jpg
Franklin17.jpg
Franklin18.jpg
NP317

Post by NP317 »

You are today's Kozo.
Just saying'.
Thanks for sharing.
RussN
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Hello Jack,
Just skilled modeling of it's finest 8). Thank you for posting the detailed process!
Wulf-Dieter