3/4" Scale J1e

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

JBodenmann

Re: 3/4" Scale J1e

Post by JBodenmann »

Here the cylinder is getting zoomed with a 5/16" reamer. The ID of the casting was such that all it needed was the reamer. Then the bore was polished with wet or dry, stuffed through a slot in a dowell and spun in the drill press. #400, #600, #800, and then a small piece of soft cloth and metal polish. The bore ended up with a mirror finish. It needs this as it must slide freely. Third and forth photos, turning the OD of the piston, and then drilling for the crosshead.
Attachments
Door76.jpeg
Door77.jpeg
Door78.jpeg
Door79.jpeg
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

JBodenmann wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:56 pm .... All these pins were made with L something or other leaded stock. Very nice stuff to work with. ....

12L14
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Now here is the whole mess. As you can see we have 10 Lbs. in a 5Lb. bag. Getting all this little baloney to work smoothly and not bind was what had me speaking Navy Language. You have no idea how many times I put this together and took it apart. Trim, adjust, put it together, use Navy language. Take it apart...Getting the little crosshead, .062" steel rod, to work smoothly in the crosshead guide and line up with the cylinder provided a few Navy moments. It all has to work effortlessly because the doors are closed by gravity alone. Stubbornness eventually paid off. The little rascal...will open with 10 LBS. of air, and closes with a satisfying "clink". Too much fun! The manual operating lever pivots a cam, that moves the crosshead to the right. The cam eventually goes over center and keeps the door open. One thing I hadn't thought of is that when the door opens on air, the manual lever and cam drop down and prevent the doors from closing. I hate it when that happens! I will have to come up with some sort of return spring and stop for the lever and cam to keep it raised when the door opens on air. This little fire door was a real gas to make. What shall I make next. Like a kid in a candy store.
Jack
Attachments
Door80.jpeg
Door81.jpeg
Door83.jpeg
Door84.jpeg
Steam Engine Dan

Post by Steam Engine Dan »

JBodenmann wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:32 pm Now here is the whole mess. As you can see we have 10 Lbs. in a 5Lb. bag. Getting all this little baloney to work smoothly and not bind was what had me speaking Navy Language. You have no idea how many times I put this together and took it apart. Trim, adjust, put it together, use Navy language. Take it apart...Getting the little crosshead, .062" steel rod, to work smoothly in the crosshead guide and line up with the cylinder provided a few Navy moments. It all has to work effortlessly because the doors are closed by gravity alone. Stubbornness eventually paid off. The little rascal...will open with 10 LBS. of air, and closes with a satisfying "clink". Too much fun! The manual operating lever pivots a cam, that moves the crosshead to the right. The cam eventually goes over center and keeps the door open. One thing I hadn't thought of is that when the door opens on air, the manual lever and cam drop down and prevent the doors from closing. I hate it when that happens! I will have to come up with some sort of return spring and stop for the lever and cam to keep it raised when the door opens on air. This little fire door was a real gas to make. What shall I make next. Like a kid in a candy store.
Jack
jack, that is absolutely amazing. just can't say enough about it. :D
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

ditto....(except for the Navy language... :D )
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Bill Shields wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:02 pm ditto....(except for the Navy language... :D )

Having been in the Navy, I can vouch for the practice. As Mark Twain once wrote: "Under certain circumstances, urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer."
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

I’ve heard it referred to as “Railroad Esperanto.”
When I would get home from several days away from home on the through freights....I had to remember to “turn it off!”

Keith
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Here is a shot of my messy shop. Where' the broom? The mess isn't what I want to show you though. So lets zoom in and see these hasps' and the little hinge. You saw the masters for these parts a while ago. Now that the castings have arrived I can put them together. They are for the full width turret casing and some will also be used on the tender tank. All this little baloney except the hinges is 1-1/2 inch scale from the old engine house model and has got me to thinking. It would be fun to build one to photograph the Hudson in. Someday when I don't have anything else to to :lol:
Jack
Attachments
EngHse1.jpeg
EngHse2.jpeg
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

That coffee mug is a great touch. I'm surprised it's not coffee-stained, though!
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Here are a couple snappies just for fun. The fire door is a bit oversize, but it will just have to do. It's propped up on a piece of wood just for a look. Now the question is, will there be enough room for a couple water glasses? I plan on making some water glasses that look like the reflex variety but will actually have a tube in them.
Jack
Attachments
Cab1.jpeg
Cab2.jpeg
Andy R

enough room for a couple water glasses

Post by Andy R »

Yes, It appears that there is room if the glass is mounted in front of the doors (not really in front, but further away from the backhead so the doors clear when open) and the bottom fitting is below the arc scribed by the bottom of the door.
Steam Engine Dan

Post by Steam Engine Dan »

JBodenmann wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:41 pm Hello My Friends
Here are a couple snappies just for fun. The fire door is a bit oversize, but it will just have to do. It's propped up on a piece of wood just for a look. Now the question is, will there be enough room for a couple water glasses? I plan on making some water glasses that look like the reflex variety but will actually have a tube in them.
Jack
they look awesome in the cab jack, even though they might be a bit oversized but to your advantage that's good cuz then it will be easy to get the grates in and out after each run. just remember to keep the gears inside the air piston lubricated, dad and I learned that lesson the hard way. but our new flip down door is fantastic. and from a scale look appearance you'd swear you were in a full size cab, most of the standard doors were big as well as the franklin number 8's. im a big franklin number 8 nut. :D :D