3/4" Scale J1e

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Bill Shields

Re: 3/4" Scale J1e

Post by Bill Shields »

Jack:

have you done any quick calculations as to the air pressure needed to (not) lock up the front wheels?

I gave up on actually USING these brakes and plugged the steam pipe and removed the flex line since all I was getting was flat spots on the wheels. I did similar on the rear trailing truck axle which also has a brake shown.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
First, thank you John for the compliment. You don't do so bad yourself when it comes to building. And to answer Bills question. I was planning on starting out at about twenty PSI. I will be using air for the brake system and will have a regulator to adjust the pressure. At twenty PSI the tiny one half inch engine truck brake cylinder will only provide about three or four pounds of force. I just want the engine and tender brakes to function, and not lock up the wheels. Most of the actual braking will be provided by the riding car, which will carry the battery and compressor at the back end as a counterweight to the Bozo on the front end :D. At least that's the plan for now.
Jack the Bozo
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Here is what has been happening with the little Hudson. The weather has been nice lately so I have been mostly working on the railway. The New York Central Hudsons had recessed areas on the smoke box to make room for the cross compound air compressors. Fortunately there was a drawing of this detail contained in the CD from the New York Central historical society. The first thing was to make a card stock pattern, this you can see in the top photo. Then the brass pieces in the second photo were made and stuck to the inside of the smoke box with flathead brass machine screws and JB weld. The next photo shows the boring head being used to cut the recesses. The last photo shows the smoke box at this point. On larger engines with steel smokeboxes I have welded this detail. This smoke box is brass so welding was out. Next up, the smoke box front with its door dogs, Okadee hinges, and headlamp mount. Too much fun!
Jack
Attachments
SMKBX2.jpg
SMKBX1.jpg
SMKBX3.jpg
SMKBX4.jpg
SMKBX5.jpg
Steve Bratina

Post by Steve Bratina »

Very nice work. One thing to take note of. The Baker gear on this engine was the style they used for the Michigan Central engines. The Baker for the Hudson you want is what I think they call the short frame. When the Hudsons were changed over from the Walschearts they used a long frame Baker gear. The profile of the long and short are similar but the MC engines were noticeably different. More of a slab side look. If this subject was already discussed, sorry for the waste of electrons. At my age I only read the last page of books now to see how it ends.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

cannot say that i have ever seen a picture of a NYC Hudson with a short frame Baker.

That's a cool way to 'dent' the smokebox.....
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

I’ve only seen short frame Baker on switchers.
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

Short frame Baker gear
71F60B77-3891-4559-A830-A0D44DA783F0.jpeg
Steve Bratina

Post by Steve Bratina »

Check the baker bracket on a rebuilt 5200 class engine. Now go to a 8200 class engine. Finally look at the 5344. See any difference?
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

Steve....I see two different style long frame gears. But I have never seen a Hudson with a short frame baker gear.
Do you have a picture of one?
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Thanks for the info. I never knew there were different Baker gears. I was surprised to find that this engine has the wrong one. It runs so good that I don't think I will be changing it, although I am a bit disappointed as I want to build a very detailed model. Go with what you got :D
Jack
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Jack:

what do you mean by the 'wrong one'?
Steve Bratina

Post by Steve Bratina »

Bill. Look at my previous post, read once then repeat. Keith, if you punch up Richard Leonard's NYC web site, look at the 5243 and then the 5300. The Michigan Central engines actually had two styles of the flat baker frame. One we will call slab side and the other had an opening similar to the baker on the CNR 5700 class as built.
Last edited by Steve Bratina on Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.