3/4" Scale J1e

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Bill Shields

Re: 3/4" Scale J1e

Post by Bill Shields »

Especially with the "land of the Giants" hand...
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Hello Jack,
Almost unbelievable your precise miniature piping and valves 8)
The only thing I hate is to remove and refurbish all those parts in case of heavy boiler repairs :roll: Hope you won't ever experience that (which I didn't :( )
Like your precise work very much!

All the best by
Asteamhead
Attachments
Piping and small valves at my class 44
Piping and small valves at my class 44
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Thank you Asteamhead. I spent the day finishing up the little valves I needed for the smokebox blower piping. I need two, but went ahead and made 4. The steam piping to the air compressors will be non functional and will have a dummy valve. These little fellows are two much trouble to make and I won't be using them for dummy piping. I think I have about ten hours in these four valves. This is all 5/32" piping. The valve stems through the packing nuts is 1/16". The bonnet nuts are threaded #10-56. Next I will be making some 5/32" angle union valves for the water glass top connections. These little valves were fun to make, but also a bit of a challenge. I'm thinking about some really tiny ones for the water glass blowdowns, 3/32" Too much fun.
Jack
Attachments
Globe1.jpeg
Globe2.jpeg
Globe3.jpeg
Globe4.jpeg
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Jack:
Are those valve stems threaded a miniature ACME thread????
Gorgeous work, as always.
RussN
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Hello Jack,
just jewels :)
By the way, I used 1.5 mm / M 2 tread for my smalest valves of size 1 mm - nearly similar to yours.
When you start with the parts for your water gauges, please think of making them from bronze rather then brass :idea:
Brass will be prone to be destroyed by the water due to it's high zinc content after some time.
The photo is showing, what it's all alike after some years of runing :(
Just my two cents.
All the best by
Asteamhead
Attachments
44 cab after some running
44 cab after some running
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Thank you Russ and Asteamhead. Those do look like Acme threads don't they. They are regular #2-56. And Steamhead, the cab of your engine looks very much like the full size engine. Very Cool!
Jack
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
A little package came from the foundry today. Inside were castings for the trailing truck booster steam piping, and parts for the stoker engine. The first photo we have here shows the castings for the booster steam piping. This is for one piping set. There are two long pipes that connect to the booster cylinder head, one right and one left. Two straight and two 90 degree sockets. There are six ball joints, four straight and two 90 degree, and twelve packing rings. Then some snappies of assembled ball and socket joints. The piping that will connect them will be 1/4" with #40 (likely intended to mean 40 pitch) threads. Some of the #0-80 tee bolts are too long and will be shortened. More to come.
Jack
Attachments
Booster Pipe1.jpeg
Booster Pipe2.jpeg
Booster Pipe3.jpeg
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Pretty stuff, Jack!

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

Outstanding! I'm just glad the projects I'm working on are less modern and a lot less complex.
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Hello Jack,
What an achievement to construct, prepare and not at least have produced all those superb investment castings 8)
I envy you to have all those parts in stock now :)
Please have us informed this way regarding your progress in making parts, thank you!
All the best by
Asteamhead
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

]Hello My Friends
Thank You Dick, and Asteamhead. Here is some progress on the booster and piping. First some loose ends needed buttoning up. The booster cylinder cocks were never finished. Some little pipe plugs were made up. The thread is #2-56 and the square part is .050"
Booster Pipe70.jpeg
Booster Pipe71.jpeg
Now we have the completed booster engine. This was a fun little trinket to make. Much of it will be hidden in the trailing truck but the cylinder end will be visable if you look closely.
Booster Pipe72 .jpeg
Booster Pipe73.jpeg
Last edited by JBodenmann on Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Now it's time to start the steam and exhaust piping. Here we have the underside of the cab floor. Some pipe clamps are being used to hold the piping in place.
Booster Pipe74.jpeg
Booster Pipe75 .jpeg

Now we can start running the piping with it's cool flexible connectors and insulated piping. The prototype had large pipes with insulation. The insulation had a metal covering held on with metal rings similar to hose clamps. Here we have 1/4" tube to represent the steam pipe and 5/16" tube slipped over the 1/4" tube to simulate the insulation and metal covering.
Booster Pipe77.jpeg
Here they have been soldered together
Booster Pipe76.jpeg
Here the rings are being fitted up. They were parted off of some thin wall brass tube. They were soldered on using soft solder
Booster Pipe78.jpeg
Booster Pipe79.jpeg