Another CliShay Build

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

dakine

Re: Another CliShay Build

Post by dakine »

I am just starting to work on 12" x 40" bed plate. Can you tell what a oval hole if for:
It is 1" x 2 3/4" in size , Located above the front truck, 7 3/16 from end. Distance from center not shown?
I haven't ben able to figure out what it is for... thanks for any info, John
bill4227

Post by bill4227 »

Its for water connections at the rear tank and hand pump and is over the rear truck and calculated from the rear end of the plate. See dimension at the very lower left. The left side of the drawing is the rear. The engine is at the front where there are holes for the crank and eccentrics.

Consider adding an extra hole for a large balance pipe between the front and rear tank.
jeanluc83

Post by jeanluc83 »

As noted there is an issue with the rear tank overflowing if plumbed per plan. The cross head pump draws from both the front and rear tanks but only returns to the rear tank. My half thought out plan is to put a larger diameter tube connecting the front and rear tanks to equalize. The piping diagram on page 80 and 81 of the book should clear things up. You can also see a picture on page 83 showing the piping going through this cutout.

As far as the location, it looks like there are enough chain dimensions to get you to the center. I get 6-11/16 from the end to the center of the cutout and 3-5/16 from the center line of the plate to the center of the cutout but check my math.
bill4227

Post by bill4227 »

I have solved the issue with the rear tank overflowing. Tee the line from the crosshead pump to the boiler with the tee running to a needle valve, the output of the needle valve running to the front tank. I fed mine to the filler neck. I keep the rear tank bypass valve closed unless I want more water in the rear tank. In operation this works great and setting the needle valve when running keeps the boiler water level fairly constant.
dakine

Post by dakine »

yes, got it/ I had my thinking backwards.
jeanluc83

Post by jeanluc83 »

Inspired by the recent boiler discussion, I'm starting the search for materials for my boiler build. Does anyone have recommendations for suppliers of A516 gr. 70 plate and A106 gr. B pipe.

So far I've found Trupply for the pipe and Metals Depot for the plate. It looks like they both accept small orders but even then I'll end up with lots of extra.

https://www.trupply.com/collections/ste ... 4003691598

https://www.metalsdepot.com/steel-produ ... e-a516-pvq

I still need to see what is available locally.

Any other recommendations out there?
dakine

Post by dakine »

Starting my CliShay build. Transferring holes to frame from bed. Ordered all the steel for the trucks and boiler. I am going to use a 8" schedule 40 boiler with 1/2" copper schedule K tubes. Ordered a used roller from ebay.
Attachments
IMG_0895 (2).JPG
IMG_0887.JPG
dakine

Post by dakine »

Any one out there in CliShay land have a truck "Solder fixture" as shown in Mr. Maynards book page 18, photo 6 they would want to sell, rent, loan...?
Thought I would ask before buying the material and building the fixture.
John
jeanluc83

Post by jeanluc83 »

I've been on some other projects but I'm back on the Clishay again. The machining is just about done on the crank shaft. Everything is keyed and will be secured with locktite. I don't want anything to fail under load later on.

Next I'll start work on the eccentrics. I'll add two setscrews at 90° since I've been told by others they've had theirs spin.

Crankshaft on some blocks
Crankshaft on some blocks
Clishay crankshaft
Clishay crankshaft
Broaching the keyway in the drive gear
Broaching the keyway in the drive gear
Clishay crankshaft parts
Clishay crankshaft parts
Turning the cranks
Turning the cranks
Cranks laid out to fit on the flat bar I had on hand
Cranks laid out to fit on the flat bar I had on hand
jeanluc83

Post by jeanluc83 »

More work on the Clishay. The cylinders are getting closer to completion. I got the valve ports done. I still need to drill the steam passages. Then I have 18 holes in each that need to be drilled and tapped that I'm not exactly looking forward to.

I've been trying to get all the "I'll do it later" things done so it is nice to get back on something a little more interesting.

Clishay cylinders getting close to done
Clishay cylinders getting close to done
Milling the steam ports in my horizontal Atlas mill
Milling the steam ports in my horizontal Atlas mill
Poor man's DRO
Poor man's DRO
jeanluc83

Post by jeanluc83 »

The steam passages have been drilled. I don't have an angle vice so I used some blocks to prop up one side of the cylinder. It worked out pretty well. Next is the exhaust port in the side of the cylinder.

Steam ports drilled
Steam ports drilled
The edge of the cylinder is shimmed to give me the correct angle.  The tape is there to keep the shims from moving.
The edge of the cylinder is shimmed to give me the correct angle. The tape is there to keep the shims from moving.
dakine

Post by dakine »

Looks GREAT!