Basket case 2-4-0

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

OddDuck

Re: Basket case 2-4-0

Post by OddDuck »

You could be right, Bill. Searched out some photos and it looks very similar. Not much (read none...) progress to report, hopefully get back to it soon.
"If you took the bones out they wouldn't be crunchy!" -Monty Python's Flying Circus
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

In the process of trying to figure out what to do next, I checked a few things out with the engine. Figured out a few good things, and found a few not so good things.
I think my next step is to manufacture an axle pump, and either rebuild or replace the hand pump that came with it. Gotta have ways of getting water to the boiler, and I can't afford an injector or steam pump yet.
I think in conjunction with the axle pump, I am going to cast a new smokebox saddle. It looks like the back of the saddle would be a good place to mount the axle pump. It came with a saddle, and I think a fake surround for it, but I can't get things to line up when trying to use them together. I think the saddle may be a later build, not sure. I don't like it, however, it's a boogered together welded assembly, and there is no provision for the exhaust to come up into the smokebox. It also doesn't match either the opening in the bottom of the smokebox, and more importantly, the curvature is wrong.
So, off to pattern making and cast a new one.
Attachments
IMG_20191207_133210786.jpg
IMG_20191207_133222630.jpg
IMG_20191207_133324488.jpg
IMG_20191207_133401724.jpg
"If you took the bones out they wouldn't be crunchy!" -Monty Python's Flying Circus
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

And now the bad. I took the steam dome off the boiler. Yeah... Almost wished I didn't, but glad I did at the same time. I would have had to take it off to install a throttle anyways at some point.
The whole steam dome needs replacing. I thought the flange was too thin, and I was right. The base that is welded to the boiler is only about an eighth of an inch thick, and as I suspected, the actual dome looks like it was made from a transport cap for a hundred pound propane tank. Yes, the gentleman that traded it to me tested it to 300 psi, and it probably would hold up for a while, but I think it's asking for failure unless I replace it.
Luckily I have a good lead on a code welder who said he could weld on a new one. I got a chance to look inside and it looks clean, aside from some surface rust. I still suspect that it was never fired. So, there's a project for when I have several hundred bucks to spare. I sure as hell ain't firing it up as-is, which had been my first thought. Oh well, you win some, etc.
Attachments
IMG_20191207_131702453.jpg
IMG_20191207_131644886.jpg
IMG_20191207_131738960.jpg
IMG_20191207_131822083.jpg
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

as long as the saddle fits around the edges you can always fill the gap with Permatex...nobody but the 4000 people reading Chaski will know the difference after it is painted :shock:

the flange / welding on the boiler looks a bit iffy..but it is probably just surface crud obfuscating the optics.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

And those tubes appear a bit "carbuncled" indicating deposits from steaming it.
Just my guess.
RussN
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

Ahhh. It's good to get back out in the shop. It's been a long summer, basically work, sleep, and mow lawn. Things are slowing down, so normalcy can resume. I have a list of projects as long as my arm that I want/need to get done before the snow flies.
One of those projects is to get my 2-4-0 loco closer to running. I have a lot of parts that need replacing on it, and a bunch to come up with out of thin air. A set of plans came with it, but they are not for this loco exactly, but a very similar one. So have to get out the ol' thinking cap.
The first replacement part I decided to tackle was the smokebox saddle. What it came with was a sheet metal thing that quite frankly, doesn't really fit and probably would be more trouble than it would be worth to make it right.
So, over the last few days I made a pattern for a new one, and I'll get it in the sand tomorrow.
Attachments
IMG_20201004_170437484~2.jpg
IMG_20201004_170343278~2.jpg
IMG_20201004_170119625~2.jpg
IMG_20201004_170130210~2.jpg
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

One of the next things I think I need to address, and it's part of the smokebox saddle puzzle, is the exhaust manifold. It's basically a piece of square tubing with flanges welded to the ends, and a "nozzle" brazed to the center. It also has the post for the leading truck bolted to the bottom.
My gut tells me this isn't going to be a real effective exhaust. I can't see if there is a baffle under the nozzle, I suspect it's just a straight tube from one end to the other. The nozzle also seems very restrictive.
I think I need to replace it. Advice would be appreciated, the plans I have aren't very helpful here.
Attachments
IMG_20201004_170405171~2.jpg
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

That looks like how the Bill Morewood Raritan exhaust system is designed. From what I understand, it works just fine, and it has to be pretty sturdy too. I would definitely figure out a way to change the blast nozzle orifice size pretty easily so that you can experiment with that to get the draft you need when you get it operational.
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

Thanks Pontiacguy1. That nozzle is brazed in place, I'll have to cut it off to get rid of it. My concern was that the exhaust pulses would interfere with the events on the other end of the manifold. I may be overthinking it.
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

Success! Not perfect, but useable. Might recast them, but I think I can get by with these. I don't even think I have to clean up the saddle area that much. Onward and upward...
Attachments
IMG_20201005_150524647~2.jpg
IMG_20201005_150549208~2.jpg
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Wow! Nice casting. That should work well for you.

For the cylinder exhaust system of my Mikado, I machined a brass plug that inserts into the bottom of the "T' ( a commercial brass T) connecting the cylinder exhausts with the vertical stand pipe.
The blank insert was silver brazed into the bottom of the exhaust "T". I used a 1/2' diameter ball end mill to make the "ramps" on both sides of the insert, using the horizontal openings as alignment guides for the ball end mill. The exhausting steam will hit the milled ramps and deflect upward to the nozzle.

The attached picture looks down the stand pipe. You can see the milled ramps in the insert.
Sorry I don't have a front or rear view of the milled insert, but I didn't take pictures of it.

Tests using compressed air showed that this setup actually produced some vacuum on the opposite cylinder during exhaust flow. I am hoping it acts as a "tuned exhaust" decreasing back pressure to the cylinders when steaming the locomotive.

As for the mount for your front guide wheel set, make a plate that bolts to the bottom of your new smokebox saddle. The front truck mechanism can interface with that plate as required. And drill some drain holes in the bottom plate so condensate will not sit in the spaces.
RussN
2-8-2 Exhaust Deflector sml.jpg
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

NP317, that's kinda what I was thinking too. So I'm not crazy, good. I can probably do something very similar after I cut off the gumped up
"nozzle"