Front End Rebuild

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

ccvstmr

Re: Front End Rebuild

Post by ccvstmr »

Glenn....hmmm, "petticoat dogs". Interesting idea. Support and center the petticoat all at the same time. Great solution. Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Thanks Carl. They seem to be working out pretty well.

Quick update on the front end rebuild progress. Finally got the loco put back together and cleaned up. Couldn’t test fire it until today- Mid July- due to rebuilding the floor of the tender, which took all spring. I made some project notes over on my “Woodinville Shops” thread concerning replacing the corroded water tank floor.

So today, moved the loco and tender out onto the mainline and fired her up. What a difference!

Update : here is a link to a short YouTube video of the new blower in action.

https://youtu.be/17bbBan7q_s

The Lempor multi nozzle ejector system made this a new loco! I’ve got almost silent, full capacity exhaust like I’ve never seen before. Almost no smoke exhaust - nearly clear exhaust when pulling a load - as opposed to ever present grey brown partially burned coal smoke with the old, single stack, master mechanics design front end, plenty of power, never seemingly never ending steam.

And, as to making steam... the boiler fired right up to 145# and poped the safety like it’s never done before. I took off running and never dropped more than 5 pounds of boiler pressure in 20 minutes of running. Amazing compared to the old, original front end, which couldn’t keep any constant pressure once the safety lifted - necessitating stopping after every trip to re build pressure.

Now the biggest problem is the new front end drafts so well I didn’t put enuf coal in and burned thru the fire without noticing, then had to shut down when the water got low in th boiler and didn’t have fire to keep the ejectors workings and the crown sheet covered. Completely different loco.

But it runs like a champ.

I’ll post a video of the stack exhaust during firing tomorrow. Beautiful round column of exhaust, vortices and everything, coming out of the stack, with just the tiniest amount of blower. Have to figure out some way to load video on this site. Maybe some kind of you tube link or something...

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Glenn:
Congrats on your smokebox improvements! Pretty amazing to see all your research, design and construction work so well.
Now you just need to learn how to operate this new beast! What fun!!

I'm also learning how to operate my new-to-me steam launch. Sea Trial #2 will happen this Friday.
No boredom and always something to learn.
Our collective motto, perhaps
Russ
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Russ, yes indeed. More learning on tap. I certainly need to learn a new firing technique. Not sure if I need less coal, or more. The fire burns much hotter, which should mean less fuel consumption- maybe more frequent shoveling, with less quantity. Also need to fiddle with the injectors. I had them rebuilt last year, but they are old and still don’t cycle properly, without wasting water thru the outlet.

I added a short video link to my last post- very interesting how the Lempor ejector and multi port blower creates a bunch of mini vortex’s coming out the top of the stack.

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....