Nickel Plate 762

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

NP317

Re: Nickel Plate 762

Post by NP317 »

Expected to operate.
And it is spectacular!
RussN
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Here are a couple snappies of parts for Jim's Berk. The first is the surge chamber for the back pressure gauge. This is just a dummy for detail purposes. It will mount under the running board next to the front of the smoke box on the engineers side. This smoothed out the exhaust pulses so the pressure gauge didn't get beat to death.
Berk300.jpeg
Next we have one of Anthony's magnificent Nathan 4000's. It was chemically blackened and then given a shot of satin clear coat. The blackener was carefully applied being careful not to blacken the packing nuts. It has a Barco flex connector on the steam supply pipe. All it's associated piping is finished and will be fitted up. The steam piping is wrapped with insulation and all is painted. I'll have some photos this week.
Jack
Berk301.jpeg
Last edited by JBodenmann on Mon May 30, 2022 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Anthony has certainly taken model injectors to a whole new level of scale and function!
And you get to integrate them into your equally remarkable modeling.
Thanks for sharing.
RussN
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Here are some snappies of Jim's Berk. The first two are a view of the engineers side of the fire box. There is a large insulated steam pipe coming down from the turret to the Nathan 4000. Then a large delivery pipe to the check valve. Lots of little baloney! Then we have a couple small pressure regulators fitted to a mounting bracket. This assembly will mount under the rear of the cab. One regulator will be for train brakes, and the other for engine and tender brakes. The pressure should be set so the wheels will not lock up. The challenge with things like this is to design and build it so that it can be easily removed for repair and servicing. Un regulated pressure will go to the power reverse, and sand box valve. The piping is mostly finished, just a few loose ends and minor details left to complete.
See Ya' Later Alligator.
Jack
Attachments
Berk250.jpeg
Berk251.jpeg
Berk252.jpeg
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

Look forward to seeing how you plumb the cab mounted brake valves. Going to run control from them to a clippard valve as well? I think that's what Paul did on his 4-8-4.
Peter Crisler

Post by Peter Crisler »

JBodenmann wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:45 pm Hello My Friends
Here are some snappies of the firing valve for Jim's Berk. This is a valve I made years ago. It features a tapered slot on the plug so it has a very usable range of opening in the lower settings. The valve is all bronze.
Jack, any chance there is a sketch, drawing or photo of the plug showing the tapered slot?

Thanks,

Pete Crisler
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
The Nickel Plate Berkshires had these really cool Oakadee engine tender connections like we have here. I like the way that they use a toggle bolt draw things together. They used what looks like a flat seal. I will be using an O ring. I also like the hose clamps with the interlocking fingers. These look like something that would be fun to make.
Okadee1.jpeg
Here is a start on the socket end of the connection. The far end is 7/16" hex. I hand jived a little cutter to cut the recess for the O ring. This little fellow is one of then delightful little puzzles that I often ramble on about. Break it down into shapes that I can make and then stick them together. I like to think of this as sort of a chess game. You have to think several steps ahead, lest you build yourself into a corner. I hate it when that happens :D
Okadee2.jpeg
Here is the O ring stuffed in place along with a test plug. The depth of the recess was fiddled with until the plug fit just right.
Okadee3.jpeg
Here is a start on the second piece. A piece of brass .200" thick and then squared up.
Okadee4.jpeg
These two holes will be for #5-40 mounting bolts
Okadee5.jpeg
Last edited by JBodenmann on Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:58 pm, edited 6 times in total.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Most of the center of this piece will be drilled out.
Okadee6.jpeg
Here is just a test fit to make sure I didn't goof up.
Okadee7.jpeg
Here the center has been opened up to 13/16", and the ends zoomed with a 1/8" diameter round over end mill.
Okadee8.jpeg
Cutting the reveal for the bolt holes. I don't know why they did this on the full size but it looks cool.
Okadee9.jpeg
And here it is.
Okadee10.jpeg
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Now it's time to put things together to have a look.
Okadee11.jpeg
And here is a start on what will be the bottom latch catch.
Okadee12.jpeg
Whittle away everything that doesn't look like the latch catch.
Okadee13.jpeg
Whittle some more
Okadee14.jpeg
And here a 3/4" end mill is being used to cut a radius where it will fit against the 3/4" OD of the socket.
Okadee15.jpeg
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Here are the pieces that will be the latch catch.
Okadee16.jpeg
And put together. They still need a bit of shaping.
Okadee17.jpeg
And a little further along.
Okadee18.jpeg
The parts ready to be silver soldered together as a sub assembly.
Okadee19.jpeg
Here are the silver soldered sub assemblies. These will now be soft soldered together as these parts are masters to pull molds from. They will also get some filler here and there.
Okadee20.jpeg
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Here is the set up for soft soldering the latch catch in place. A frog is used to hold the main body. A spring clamp is used to hold the smaller piece. I used the flux pen to flux things. Then tiny pieces of solder were set in place. The whole mess was evenly heated with a propane torch and the solder slurped into place.
Okadee21.jpeg
Here is the fork for the toggle bolt.
Okadee22.jpeg
Here a 11/16" end mill is being used to cut the radius where the fork will fit to the top of the socket.
Okadee23.jpeg
Here is the fork ready to solder in place.
Okadee25.jpeg
Ahh, just like in the picture. The fork isn't fastened in place yet. I may stick it on with epoxy. Tomorrow I'll start on the plug end of the connection. Too Much Fun
Jack
Okadee26.jpeg
NP317

Post by NP317 »

As always, is it fun to see complex parts broken down into "simpler" pieces.
But I suspect making a mold for that small assembly will have challenges too. I'll be watching...

In the best traditions of Kozo Hiraoka.
Thanks for continuing to share your inspirational sculpture work.
RussN