Nickel Plate 762

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

JKreider

Re: Nickel Plate 762

Post by JKreider »

The master craftsman, Jack Bodenmann, and his work.

Jim Kreider
20210226_122545-1.jpg
NP317

Post by NP317 »

He's REAL!!!!
RussN
kcameron

Post by kcameron »

What size or type of wire was used to wrap the tube? Copper, brass, or what? From the photos I couldn't tell.
-ken cameron
Syracuse Model Railroad Club http://www.SyracuseModelRr.org/
CNY Modelers http://www.cnymod.com/
Finger Lakes Live Steamers http://www.fingerlakeslivesteamers.org/
Member JMRI Developer Team http://www.jmri.org/
mailto: kcameron@twcny.rr.com
In the Upstate New York US area of the world
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
String was used to wrap the tube. I believe I mentioned that in the text. But the size wasn't noted, which was .025".
The old Bozo in the photo isn't me it's my evil twin brother. :lol:
Jack the Old Bozo
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

JBodenmann wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:58 am The old Bozo in the photo isn't me it's my evil twin brother. :lol:

AH HA! See, I knew it! There ARE two of him. He's admits it. That's how he gets all this stuff done. I thought I heard a thump in the supposedly empty shop when I visited some time ago.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
The secret is out, Greg is correct. There are two of me. But I am the smart one. You can tell he's the other one by the blank confused look on his face. And mom always liked me best! :lol:
Bozo
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Jack,
Thank you for explaining us your brilliant yet simple methods of making all those fine details!
Please carry on!
Asteamhead
NP317

Post by NP317 »

I can see Jack's builders plates:
"Bozo Locomotive Works"
:lol: :lol: :lol:

RussN
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Bozo here, with a few snappies of Jims Berk. The first two are of the turbo generator muffler and an octagonal elbow. Both of these are new castings and the first that I have had to make soluble cores for. Modern steam came with a lot of these octagon type fittings. 90 degree and 45 degree ells, also tees. I plan on having a pretty complete set of these castings before too long. The Nickel Plate Berkshires had them in prominent locations so I figured other engines did also. Full size ones don't seem to be available any more so they have disappeared from most operational locomotives. There are a couple more of these ells down on the smoke box. The exhaust line from the air compressors connects to the air compressor muffler-water separator with a union ell. There is another bit of piping that exits the smoke box and connects to one of the auxiliary ports in the smoke stack. This may be the exhaust from the hot water pump but I'm not really sure. One more new casting set is the pipe clamp for the feed water line to the check valve. Probably only of interest to those building Berks. Having fun here.
Jack
Attachments
Muffler.jpeg
Muffler2.jpeg
Comp. Muffler.jpeg
Clamp.jpeg
partime

Post by partime »

The details are just great Jack! The high standard you hold and your willingness to share your experience is certainly appreciated.
I do hope to see Jim's engine in person one day.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Thank you very much partime, I greatly appreciate your kind words. As Jim says, "We are going to run the wheels off this engine". So it will no doubt be putting on a show at many of the west coast tracks. Here are a few snappies of what I was up to today. Jim had these ultra cool junction boxes, I'm not sure where he got them but they were just perfect for the conduit connecting the generators and alternator to the hand rails. Beautiful boxes with screw down lids and microscopic lettering. Someone did a very nice job on them. Dummy compression fittings were made up from 5/32" hex stock and the junction boxes were drilled for the hand rails and tapped 5/32" MTP for the compression fittings. The conduit is .090" brass tubing. Here is one of the compression fittings. Then we have a mandrel tapped 5/32" MTP one one end and external threaded on the other. I have these in many sizes and they come in handy for holding things like these little compression fittings for buffing and such. Last two photos are the turbo alternator on the engineers side, and the two generators on the fireman's side. These engines came with one generator for the headlamp, markers, and cab lamps. It's the one with the cool casting for the mounting bracket. The second generator with the mounting bracket made of bent steel was added along with the Mars lamp. The turbo alternator was the last to be added to power the two way radio set. It had a mounting bracket made of a large bit of channel steel with some legs welded on. The original generator had the muffler- water separator. The other two had octagon section 45 degree ells fitted to the exhaust outlets. I hope to have a fairly complete line of the octagon section tee's and ell's soon.
See You In The Funny Pages...
Jack
Attachments
Conduit1.jpeg
Conduit2.jpeg
Conduit3.jpeg
Conduit4.jpeg
Conduit5.jpeg
Last edited by JBodenmann on Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Hello Jack,
That's always a pleasure to me, watching your great work! 8)
All the best by Asteamhead