Nickel Plate 762

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Mike Walsh

Re: Nickel Plate 762

Post by Mike Walsh »

Looks great!
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Time to fit up the ultra cool Nathan 4000 injector that Anthony provided. The delivery pipe on the Berks has a couple Barco flexible connectors. I recently got some good photos of this and here they are. I'll be making some actual flexible connectors. Both straight and 90 degree. The delivery pipes on Jim's Berkshire will be 3/8" tube.
More to come.
Jack
Attachments
Barco1.jpeg
Barco2.jpeg
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Where will you get the 1/8-scale spider?
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Here is a bit more on the Barco connectors. First, a few illustrations from the 1940 locomotive cyclopedia. A straight connector, a 90 degree connector, and a cut away. There is a threaded ring that holds the ball against the seat. Here is a start on the threaded ring. Some rotary table work to make the raised bosses on the retainer ring. I had to make the little prongs extra thick as they were de forming under the force of the milling cutter.
Attachments
Barco3.jpeg
Barco4.jpeg
Barco5.jpeg
Barco6.jpeg
Barco7.jpeg
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Now over to the lathe to thin up the little prongs. I could do this with a single point cutter, taking very light cuts at high speed. In the second photo our little part has been parted off. It's looking a bit rough with burrs showing here and there. The next photo shows it after having a go with the jewelers buffer. All burrs removed, and the edges slightly softened. Finish is very important on a model. I am constantly using the buffer on small parts like this. It can easily be overdone though, rounding the edges too much, and losing the sharp crisp look. The last photo for tonight shows a small gaggle of bits and pieces. One of the tightening rings is assembled and you can see the raised ribs. The other is un assembled just for a look. The thread for the tightning rings will be 5/8" 40. the thread for the piping will be 3/8" 40. I won't be machining the brass ball, which will be 1/2". I bought them from McMaster and they will be silver soldered to the castings when I get them back from the foundry.
See Ya' later Alligator.
Jack
Attachments
Barco8.jpeg
Barco9.jpeg
Barco10.jpeg
Barco11.jpeg
Last edited by JBodenmann on Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Been working on Jim's Berk all this week. Mainly things like the piping to and from the oil firing valve and atomizer. There will be some snappies later, but things are not quite to that point. Also painting this and that in preparation for final assembly. The burner is mounted up and the piping run. One thing to think about when mounting a burner is that you have to take the little rascal out once in a while for cleaning. This should not be a major ordeal. The burner should come out and go back into place easily. As this is a model of a coal burner, and not an oil burner, the piping needed to be mostly hidden. Both the steam and oil line squeezes between the actual draft pan and the dummy ash pan. There was just enough room :D Today was spent making a cylinder cock control valve. This valve is a much simpler version of a brake valve. It contains a rotating disc valve like a brake valve, but doesn't have a detent ring as it only has two positions. One of my brake valves has four. There is an O ring packing under the packing nut. This will mount high up in the cab. Just inside the removable roof panel. It will be right at your fingertips. This engine will also have an auxiliary throttle lever that sticks up through the roof opening. It will be easily removable if your back is in good shape, and you want reach through the cab side window to operate the engine with the grape vine throttle in the cab. When much younger I was against this through the roof throttle set up. It was not prototypical! But when I built a Pennsy K4s for a client he insisted on one. After operating the engine for about five minutes I became enlightened. It was a very comfortable engine to operate. Oh well, this is how we learn :D
See You In The Funny Pages...
Jack
Attachments
Cyl.CockValve.jpeg
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Giggle...on the extension...us oldies with bad backs find the most unprototypical ways to make a bad situation tolerable.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
JKreider

Post by JKreider »

Bill Shields:

Very true Bill.

Jim Kreider
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Here is some progress on Jim's Berk. The cylinder cock valve is finished, and the piping in the cab for it has been mostly put together. This piping is all 5/32". 1/8" was too small, and 3/16 was too big. So 5/32" it is. This is a nice size and I don't know why it isn't used more. One pipe goes to the turret. The exhaust pipe goes out through the cab floor, the third will run forward under the engineers side running board to the cylinder cocks. The brackets that hold the air reservoirs and running boards have cut outs for this piping, along with the piping to the two driver brake cylinders. These brackets also hold the piping for the air reservoirs with its 180 degree return bends. One last connection to the steam turret will be the emergency steam valve and piping to the power reverse. The power reverse will normally be operated with air. This steam line will be tee'd into the air line with a check valve to protect the air reservoir from the steam. This is something that Jim wanted and I think it's a good idea. If you run out of air, from a flat battery, or some other failure of the air system you can still move the engine. Full size engines had his same feature. I'll have more snappies as things progress.
Jack
Attachments
Cyl.CockValve2.jpeg
Cyl.CockValve3.jpeg
Cyl.CockValve4.jpeg
Cyl.CockValve5.jpeg
Cyl.CockValve6.jpeg
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
This valve has a Teflon disc as it's set up for steam. Valves that I make for air have a cast iron valve disc.
Jack
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

How cool is that
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

is the 3 way valve going to become an offered product? Some railroads also had neat push pull 3 way exhausting valves.