Couple of Shorties

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

ccvstmr

Re: Couple of Shorties

Post by ccvstmr »

While writing up the construction of the shorties, was surprised nobody questioned why some detail assemblies were made in lots of (3)...when only (2) such assemblies were needed.

Part way thru the construction of the model shorties, was in contact with a former club member that has since moved out of state. Was telling him and sharing photos from the train 2019 train show and my model #5 and #6 construction progress. He wrote back and said he had a pair of castings for the original Oakley Little old time passenger car trucks...was I interested? Asked him how much he wanted for the parts and when he responded with what I thought was a good price, wrote him back and said SOLD! Here's what the original casting set looked like...

Little Central Pass Truck Castings.jpg

From the above photo, was primarily interested in the cast aluminum side frames, journals & covers, swing center parts, brake shoe ring and the cast elliptical springs. Had no need for the brake links. The cast aluminum drop equalizers would be replaced with steel. Would make my own body and truck bolster centers. Already have a set of spiral back wheels. Might even have axle stock available.

What does this mean? Well, the Sierra Railroad only had (2) shorty cars. However, the C&CV railroad might have an addition to the fleet...car #7. So during the construction of the model #5 and #6, figured I might as well make some items in sets of 3's...for a future project. Hence, an extra air brake valve/cylinder and air reservoir assemblies were fabricated, painted and set aside.

In thinking about a model #7, had to decide what kind of car to model? Already built a combine and coach...didn't want to repeat something already done. What else could be built using the same basic construction and dimensions to create a 3-car fleet of shorties? Decided a parlor car or executive car might best fit the equipment roster. This time though, wanted to figure out ways where I could "kick it up a notch".

First item that came to mind was the windows. How about a round top window? ..and let's make the half-moon from some green colored acrylic material. Would use the same colored acrylic for the clerestory windows too. Pulled up the CAD drawing from the #5 and #6 side windows and drew up a new window frame...

parlor window 053120.jpg

Overall dimension are similar, but needed to adjust height and width to create the round top. All the time, had to keep in mind how to cast and install the windows "easily"! Found hole saws are available in the 3.25" diameter size. Close enough. Dimensions adjusted accordingly. The idea here was to use the hole saw OD to cut the opening in the car body side walls...and then go back with a template and vibrating saw cutter to "square off" the bottom of the window opening. AND...the ID of the hole saw was hopefully in the 3.125" diameter size to cut acrylic window material that could then be scored and snapped in half to make the half-moon windows.

Additionally, would install (2) round top windows on the back of the car similar to the back of the #6 coach. And have different window patterns on each car side. Just in case the parlor car MIGHT contain a sleeping berth, dining area/kitchen or other.

This also meant having to make: (4) corner steps, (4) more roof vents (already fabricated), (1) stack (already made), (2) end beam assemblies (might already have these too), and more. Also meant having to make (12) end beam posts. OR...maybe the back end of the car would have some kind of "decorated" railing for a rear platform. Might need square, tapered posts for this.

No doubt, there's lot of possibilities here. But...before considering making any chips and saw dust for #7...have some other train projects to clear off the 2do list. So hopefully that answers the question about...extra details that appeared in various photos. Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
Jerry_H

Post by Jerry_H »

Beautiful work, Carl.

Jerry
www.chaski.com
Rwilliams

Post by Rwilliams »

The board of directors always needs a comfortable place to travel further away from the smoke and hot ashes from the locomotive up front. Also, a nice way to entertain potential investors or online shippers. The luxury motor home on rails of the last century. Way to go Carl!

Robert
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

Sorry for the long delay...

Jerry...thanks for the compliment.

Robert...as noted, even though the Sierra Ry only had the two cars (#5 and #6), there are plans for a 3rd shorty in my passenger car fleet...car #7. Will be interesting to see what kind of luxury motor home creature comforts MIGHT fit in a 32 foot long scale car body. Once you get past a seating area, bedroom, kitchen and a couple pot belly stoves and lavatory in the corners...there's not much space left. Time will tell.

Thanx for posting. Carl B.
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

Maiden Run

Construction for the shorties was finished in mid March 2020. Soon after, work started on the (2) Central Pacific passenger cars for Honest Dave. These are described in the "Couple More" Chaski thread. As work on the CP cars neared completion, it was time (to) ramp up work on the Rutland. The loco only needed a few matters addressed since the end of the 2019 running season. However, the tender needed more involved work. After 24 years of service, there was evidence of water leakage between the fiberglass tank and the steel deck. This led to a total tear down of the tender for a complete reconditioning (can write a thread for the tender rebuild if there's any interest).

Loco and tender finally made it to the local train club this past week. After completing all the connections between the loco and tender (4 water, 2 air, 1 fuel and 1 power cable) and then connecting the stock car with propane and needed power and air modules (same connections less water), the Rutland was brought to life. Once up to pressure and sure the safeties lifted and other water feed devices were in good working order...made a run around the track looking for other issues. Had a few weeping packing glands, but no other mechanical items to look after.

Backed up to the car barn and coupled on to the shorties for their maiden, non-passenger revenue earning run around the railroad. As luck would have it, turned out to be a fantastic day for some miniature railroading. So, here for your viewing interest (or amusement) is how the cars appeared as stops were made along the railroad to snap some photos with Dave's assistance...

IMG_3830.JPG
IMG_3837.JPG
IMG_3842.jpg
IMG_3851.JPG

There's still one matter left to complete...and that's the marker lamps. Waiting for delivery of some small 1-pin connectors to connect the exterior mounted marker lamps, run the wires thru the end walls and complete the connections inside the coach for power. Hope to complete this in the next couple weeks. Hope too, the weather holds out for some more steaming! Carl B.
daves1459

Post by daves1459 »

The "Couple of Shorties" that Carl built are true works of art. The photos don't capture the attention to detail and the significant effort he put into building them.

However, I question the wisdom of the head end cattle car followed by the two passenger cars. I can't image that the board of directors would confuse the aroma from the beefs up front with T-bone steaks on the grill. Not to mention the methane gas that would totally destroy our environment.

Honest Dave
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

Okay Dave, thanks for the compliment. However, have to ask...WHERE'S THE BEEF? :lol:

Carl B.
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

daves1459 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:42 pm However, I question the wisdom of the head end cattle car followed by the two passenger cars...Not to mention the methane gas that would totally destroy our environment.
Leave it to an old fart to pass that along.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Perhaps the varnish is loaded with politicians and the hogger is seeking revenge.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Greg_Lewis wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:10 pm Perhaps the varnish is loaded with politicians and the hogger is seeking revenge.
'Must be hauling hogs in that car...
RussN
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

Was able to fire the Rutland last Sunday. Was a fantastic day to be outside. Ran a few laps around the railroad until the fireman's side lubricator check valve failed. Hate that when that happens! Looking into that problem now.

But before the unexpected shutdown, was able to snap the following pix for those previously concerned about the stock car proximity to the passenger cars. Hung a bunch of "odor eaters" in the stock car (not) and coupled up to some revenue cars to put some distance between the two different types of livestock being hauled! Liking the views of the back of the train more and more. The idea of a rear platform drum head has casually crossed my mind. Enjoy. Carl B.

IMG_3866.JPG
IMG_3869.JPG
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Gorgeous! Thanks for those inspiring pics.

Next question:
Do you have drawings to share of the Walschaerts valve gear conversion for your Ten Wheeler?
I think I asked you that many moons ago at Train Mountain, but we never pursued it.
It's time to rebuild the Stephenson valve gear on my TW, and I'm considering alternatives.

Thanks.
RussN