Second Reconstruction of the Mongrel 2-6-0 "Emma"

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Andy R

Troubles with check valves

Post by Andy R »

One of the modifications that I made was to install some Superscale check valves.
This is a photo of the starboard ones:
IMG_0661.jpg
It seems like every time I steamed up they leaked. Having a positive shutoff was good, but having to unseat the valves was becoming an annoyance. Consulting with Barry Hague, he suggested addition of globe check valves before the poppet valve ones, so I purchased and installed those.

Shortly after that Jack Bodenmann told me that I really didn't need to do that. The trick with the poppet valves is to lubricate the stems with a pencil - the graphite keeps the stem from sticking to the body.

I should have talked with Jack first!
Andy R

Lipstick on a pig - er... Mongrel

Post by Andy R »

Another thing I didn't like was the smokebox front. It just didn't look right. Remember that Dutch had used brake and lamp parts for it. This is how it looked:
Before.jpg
I found a "stick" of smokebox dogs - quite rough - but in the correct proportion, and cut the stick up, drilled, and installed them around the door. The old holes were filled and the thing was repainted.
After.jpg
I was really happy with the result.
Maybe someday I'll add brass balls to the end of Emma's "smile".
Andy R

More History of the Mongrel 2-6-0 "Emma"

Post by Andy R »

I had a nice conversation with Kenneth Roeh of Yakima Washington, for whom Dutch was a live steam mentor.
Ken let me know a lot about Dutch.
Some interesting items:
The source of the pilot wheels was a donation (one each climax driver casting) from Lee Tilletson & Ivan Ergish.
The Briggs boiler was welded out at the Hanford Nuclear Works, where Dutch was a millwright.
The tender tank cylinder was made from a hot water tank and the end was the bottom of a 50 lb freon can.
And Ken has the driver patterns, so they are not "lost".
Ken also said that when sold to Gordon, the mogul already had 2,000 actual miles on it. Wow.
Andy R

Hydrotest reveals flaws

Post by Andy R »

In May of 2018 while pumping water into Emma's boiler for her annual hydrotest, the OCME boiler inspector said: "Andy - You have to see this."

Water was draining into the firebox.
That was not good news.
The bottom three tubes at the firebox sheet were all leaking water into the firebox.
As Jack says: "I hate it when that happens!"

At least they were leaking water during the hydrotest and not steam.
I recall remarking "Well, maybe that's why she didn't seem to steam so well last time on the road."

So after the shock wore off, and I found my transport rails and straps, she was brought home in the back of the Trailblazer … to commence her second reconstruction.
IMG_3488.jpg
The darkness outside really conveyed my mood - anticipating all the work that would be needed to bring her back to life.
Andy R

Second Reconstruction begins

Post by Andy R »

When I got her home, the first task was disassembly, which included dozens of photos to help memory during the reassembly process.It took a while to strip everything so that the boiler could be removed.

I also consulted with lots of live steamers, and everybody had a different opinion about what to do.
Maybe a new boiler, or a modification of the existing 40-year-old boiler, but most suggested some form or other of re-tubing, this time with copper instead of steel.
I had already tired of the odor and soot burning diesel, and figured that this might be a good excuse to change to burning propane instead.

I borrowed a neighbor's engine hoist, and removed the boiler, placing the boiler back in the Trailblazer.
An appointment was made with Ed Perry, and the boiler was driven to his shop on July 30, 2018.
After much talk, and more talk, and even more talk, I commissioned Ed to build a new custom boiler - standard water leg, with 14-inch long firebox.
Ed said that the boiler would be ready by November - but there might be a little delay due to possible treatment for a health issue.
That's OK! I was not in any hurry.

That delay turned out to be a little bit longer than originally anticipated.
Andy R

Burner and Manifold Construction

Post by Andy R »

While patiently waiting for the boiler from Ed Perry I started reading everything that I could about LP burners and manifold design. At LALS Spring Meet in 2019 (and now hoping that meets will soon return) I was able to purchase 10 commercial burners from a member at a significant discount. Another friend donated a short length of 1/8-inch-thick, 1-inch square steel tube, and I fabricated a U-shape to fit inside a 14-inch long, 4.5-inch wide firebox. I drilled and tapped 10 holes, 1/8NPT for the burners on the long legs, and added a female nipple for the gas connection on the short leg. A 1x1 steel angle, suitably milled, drilled, and tapped, was fabricated to both seal the open ends of the U and to serve as an attachment for a stainless steel plate - intended as an arch.

A good friend who is also a really good welder, did his artwork, and after an air-soap test revealed 3 tiny leaks, welded those closed. Almost done.

An 0.093-in copper plate was drilled to clear the OD of the burners, to rest upon the hex portion of the burners, with the intent to limit the air to the gas to that which would be sucked from below the orifices and not from above. There's lots of conflicting recommendations about that that I heard - ones that I had to have the plate, and others that indicated otherwise. At least it just sets on top, so it is easily removed.

I still needed a way to mount the burner - and getting ahead of the story, after the boiler was finished, I measured the difference between the bottom of the firebox and the top of the frame and found that 1x1 1/8-inch steel angles would fit just fine. So four brackets were made and welded to the long legs of the U-shaped manifold, to allow the burner assembly to rest on the frame and yet sit freely within the firebox. I hope that the burners are not too low. The copper plate sits just at the bottom of the firebox - almost as if I had actually planned it that way.

Making the arch was an adventure too. I purchased a scrap of stainless steel from Industrial Metal Supply, and could not cut it, I could not drill it, and even with a 10T press, I could not bend it. What is this stuff - military armor? Back to Industrial Metals to find a scrap of 303 stainless (and labelled as such) which was easily drilled and bent for the required shape - based again upon lots of advice posted in this message board. All assembled and waiting for the boiler - and yet I forgot to take any pictures.
Andy R

Teender Modifications

Post by Andy R »

While patiently waiting for the boiler, I started on the necessary modifications to the tender. The top of the oil tank was modified from the simple filler to adding the air-brake gauge, valve, and emergency dump (shown in the photo on the right) and a LP gas valve and 0-15psi gauge. Likely the gauge will be useless - I should have purchased one showing less than 1psi, or so I have been told. The tank lid will be attached with a few screws and dummy rivets.
IMG_4155.jpg
I also revised the water delivery. Formerly all water supply was from a common manifold under the belly of the water tank. That outlet is now dedicated to drainage, and new outlets with ball valves each side were tapped to allow independent supply to each injector. I had previously used Superscale valves, but the flow through the commercial ball valves will be greater, and open-shut operation will be easier.
In the next photo, an additional water tap is visible for the steam pump - but I'm getting ahead of myself.
IMG_4156.jpg
Also visible are the LP supply pipe and delivery hose. (Clear hose is handy for testing.)
It all looks ugly, but once painted black nobody will notice, except of course for the rivet counters.
NP317

Re: Second Reconstruction of the Mongrel 2-6-0 "Emma"

Post by NP317 »

If you locate a low psi-reading pressure gauge for propane, please let us know where!
RussN
Kimball McGinley

Post by Kimball McGinley »

Inches of water (in H2O) gauges are readily available from McMaster-Carr and others. 27.706 In H2O = 1 psi, so a 0-30 or 0-60 gauge might work well for 0-2 psi.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Thank you, Kimball.
RussN
Andy R

Inches of Water Pressure Gauge

Post by Andy R »

I took Kimball's advice and ordered a "High-Accuracy Low-Pressure Gauge with Steel Case" with 1/4 NPT Male Center Back Connection.
McMaster-Carr Part number 4026K44.
Pressure Range, in. of water: 0-60.
$67.36 (+ tax and shipping of course) and delivered tomorrow.
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

Andy...did you check Ebay? Several types of gauges for sale there. Some sold by Zoro. There was (1) gauge with a 0-100" wc column range...which is not quite 4 psi. The pressure range all depends on the type of burners you're using and how hard you push them when firing.

Stay away from the Dwyer Magnelic gauges. Those are primarily laboratory instrument gauges.

Was going to put a gauge on my loco years ago. The most convenient place to put such a large gauge was out the side under the cab. Convenient, but not without risk. Opted NOT to install the gauge. Instead, installed a Hydac flow control valve where the center of the knob extends the farther the valve is opened...which provided a visual indication. That in conjunction with the sound of the burner operation is what I've been using to run the loco ever since that time...without a gauge.

Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!