Allen models Fitchburg Northern build by first timer

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

mcjustis

Re: Allen models Fitchburg Northern build by first timer

Post by mcjustis »

I finished up the journal box bearings this morning. Also was able to get the shaft made for the front end along with the front wheels. Next part will be the spring shoes. I should have some time to press the wheels onto the axle in the next day or so. Getting there.

Martin
Attachments
36904236-5902-438A-9EB1-EA97C0C065DE.jpeg
2067C789-C9D4-483C-B532-8ADBA3E24BCC.jpeg
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

I tend to leave wheels off of axles until I am sure everything fits....

it is not always safe to assume that drawings are totally correct (even those that have been around as long as Chloe)...
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
mcjustis

Post by mcjustis »

Thanks for the tip. I'll wait until the main chassis is ready to get some wheels before I put any wheels on axles.

Martin
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

Going to put steel tires on the drivers?
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

strongly suggest that route...less slippery....
mcjustis

Post by mcjustis »

Got a little work done on the frame today. I set up both frames on top of each other and lined everything up. I drilled and tapped three holes in the extra half loop on the bottom of the journal box area. I also drilled and reamed holes for 1/4 inch dowel pins. That should keep everything all lined up until the frames are finished. I also milled the top edge of the frames just to be sure they are all the same height. I had added .010" on the top face and the the journal box faces before I cut them out on the waterjet.

Martin
Attachments
IMG_7176.jpg
mcjustis

Post by mcjustis »

Haven't updated in awhile. I got some more work done on the frame pieces. I finished up the brake cylinders with tops and bottoms as well. I think after looking at the up close pictures I may spend a little more time on filing the cast surfaces of the cylinders.

I did start on the main steam cylinder yesterday. I got one side flat and then put it on the surface grinder to make the other side flat. Then flipped it over and ground the first side flat and parallel with the first side. I still have some material to remove from one side to get it to thickness and keep the molded in steam passageways centralized. Still enjoying the build.

Martin
Attachments
brakes.jpg
cylinderfacing.jpg
mcjustis

Post by mcjustis »

Wow, haven't posted on here in quite awhile. I spent a month or so getting a new mill in my shop and cleaning it all up. It's up and running with new readouts. So now I can hopefully get some more work done quicker.
frame on mill.jpg

I have been working on the frame putting the holes in the top and sides. As of now, I have a couple of holes to tap on the frames and they will be done.
frame machining.jpg

I started working on the journal boxes yesterday. I got all 6 of them done as well as a few spares if I ever need them. I cut the back face of the flange first to make sure they were square to the rest of the part. Instead of making the bearings, I opted to buy them. My local hardware store has bronze bushings the exact diameters I needed. They were 1/8" longer than needed. I made the journal boxes with .0005" press fit on the bearings. I made a fixture to hold the bearings as well as the journal box/ bearing so I could machine the back face and trim the length of the bearing/ box. After the back side was done, I flipped them on the fixture and trimmed the bearing flange up to length. Lather, rinse, repeat for the other six.
fixture.jpg
brgface.jpg
jourboxbrg.jpg
And some of the finished boxes.
jourbox.jpg

Martin
Kimball McGinley

Post by Kimball McGinley »

Did the plans specify solid bronze, or sintered porous bushings? I think some people say go solid and just drill an oil hole? The solid lasts longer...
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Stay away from sintered.
mcjustis

Post by mcjustis »

Ok, well, taken to heart. I made the bronze bearings this morning. I'll get them installed when time is on my side.

brgs.jpg
mcjustis

Post by mcjustis »

Got the bearings all finished the other day. The axles are all done as well. Wife and kids were gone yesterday so I was able to spend some time in the shop. The frame sides are all finished. I also got the cap pieces that bolt to the bottom of the frame to keep the bearings in place all done.

Need to put in an order for some 10-32 bolts. Seems I have every size but 10-32 laying around.
Still enjoying the build.
Martin
Attachments
916E9AAB-C629-4A68-BF8F-107E737DEAE0.jpeg
5608E62A-064C-4577-B50C-FCD73846171B.jpeg
58826CCF-19A3-42A4-8C6D-1A313A4FAA1B.jpeg