Economy Box 'n Reef

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

ccvstmr

Re: Economy Box 'n Reef

Post by ccvstmr »

INFO NUGGET

When I started this series, wasn't sure what to call the thread. Wanted something that might draw attention in a log that described locomotive repairs and construction. Decided on "Economy Box 'n Reef". Wasn't until I was a week or two into this write up when I said to myself..."Self, what if someone asks why did I call this "economy"?" So, sat down here at the PC and made up a little spreadsheet. Listed all of the costs I could think of. Had to estimate purchases made some 15 years ago.

Was lucky during the build, that steel for the center sills and coupler pockets were cut-offs or from the scrap pile. No cost there. The perf steel for the roof walk material I picked up somewhere. The roof walk risers...were made from sheet metal parts draw dividers. Again, no cost.

Now, I'm not going to list here all the individual costs. Will say...15 years ago, I could purchase a 4x8 piece of 3/4" plywood for something like $20 a sheet. That same sheet of plywood today would cost $60 to 70...EACH! OUCH...it's getting expensive to build wood based rolling stock! When I started construction, naturally I want to put as little money into the project as possible. Still, the cost was secondary.

The Mercer Loco Works bettendorf truck castings were $120 per pair (back in 1987'ish when I got into the hobby. Bought 10 pairs at one time). Paid Mercer $40 more per pair to machine all the wheels and axles too (times 10 pairs again. Think of the time savings there!). That was a bargain! Couplers were Tom Bee "old style" couplers that ran $35/pair. Other large-r expenses included the end and box car door castings, the roof ribs, the door details and the graphics, etc. Much of this all came together since the start of this year.

In the end...my out of pocket spend was approx. $1100...TO BUILD BOTH CARS! Or, $550 per car average. The reefer was a little more expensive than the box car because of some details...but not by much. So in the end, calling these the Economy box and reef was pretty much spot on.

With some serious pencil pushing, wouldn't be difficult to estimate what it would cost to build cars like this today. But then, are you building rolling stock on a budget? ...or are you building models for the pleasure, enjoyment (with a little frustration mixed in) to see what you can create from a pile of raw materials? Despite the long-er than normal build cycle, still ecstatic about the final result. Hope you like 'em too!

Have a few more photos to share when the cars entered "revenue service". Will be back soon enough. Thanx for sticking around. Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
rmac

Post by rmac »

Just curious ... how did/do they apply lettering and graphics to real, actual, full-sized trains?

-- Russell Mac
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Carl:
Often when I read your title "Economy Box 'n Reef", my mind sees:
Economy Boxers & Briefs !

Just saying'.
RusssN
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

NP317 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:16 pmOften when I read your title "Economy Box 'n Reef", my mind sees:
Economy Boxers & Briefs !

Just saying'.
...or, maybe low-cost reefers—and not the kind that have ice bunkers and wheels. :D
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

ROAD SERVICE

As I close out the write up for the box car and reefer construction project, thought I'd share some more photos of the finish products (whether Russ Noe has his boxers 'n briefs in order or not... :lol: ).

The cars have seen daylight a few times since delivered to the club property. So, here's a few more pix of the recently completed equipment in "revenue service"....

IMG_4669.JPG

Here's the new box car and reefer with the wood sided box car and reefer built back in 1987...and rebuilt in '09 and '11 respectively.

IMG_4672.JPG
IMG_4724.JPG
IMG_4689.JPG
IMG_4692_1.jpg

Should be obvious...I like a train that looks like a train. Even if the equipment is from different eras.

Thanks for joining me on this ride. Now, it's time to get on with the next construction project. Cheerz! Carl B.
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

rmac wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:22 pm Just curious ... how did/do they apply lettering and graphics to real, actual, full-sized trains?

-- Russell Mac
Russell, that's a good question. I know in the late 80's, Amtrak had reflective adhesive backed "decals" that were applied to the sides of the passenger cars.

Freight cars, back in the day, made use of stencils for the car data (weights and dimensions). Road names and logos were probably hand painted. The railroads and car manufacturers most likely had sign painters on staff. Today, wouldn't be surprised if freight cars made use of more modern adhesive back decals.

Maybe someone else has more specific info...even persons that might be affiliated with RR museum restoration projects. Sorry, that's the best I can offer at this time. Carl B.
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

Early cars and equipment were hand lettered.

Later, companies went to stencils and stencil brushes, then stencils using spray equipment. The Santa Fe Historical and Modeling Society has two books about painting and lettering freight and passenger equipment, and steam locomotives. On the cover of the first book is a painter spraying a circle and cross herald on a freight car using a stencil several feet across.

Lettering, particularly in locomotives, was done with a stencil brush until replaced by spraying. The stencils were aligned by the use of chalk lines drawn down the loco cab or tender sides or ends, and vertical chalk lines to make sure they were vertical. The stencils were then aligned with the chalk lines and the stencil paint applied.

I used this method to letter the AT&SF 940 in Bartlesville. It was immensely satisfying not only to see how well it worked, but also that I was following a method used by shop forces for many years. I felt a connection with those guys.

I letter all my 1-1/2” equipment using Connie Miracle’s stencils and a stencil brush, except for a couple of Roy Pickard’s cars that I made my own stencils for. Connie has three part stencils for the circle and cross heralds used on early diesels. Beautiful.

Today, most equipment is lettered with adhesive lettering and logos.

I prefer stencils and paint for lettering, as the lettering weathers at the same rate as the car body. Just my preference.
rmac

Post by rmac »

makinsmoke, thanks for the info! Interesting stuff.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Carl:
Thanks for your "brief" construction article!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
RussN
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Nice information, makinsmoke.
I was not aware of a stencil brush, so I did a quick search. Man, are they $$$$$proud$$$$$ of those things.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

Thanks Guys.

Harold, you can make your own stencil brushes, in whatever size needed. It just needs pretty stiff bristles, and pretty tightly packed. Find any round brush like that with long bristles and cut them all the same length.

If you have a photo of a real one fine, otherwise you can experiment with the length. I buy model brushes and cut them to length.

You get a little paint on the end and wipe nearly all of it off. Tap the brush on the surface with the handle at 90 degrees to the surface. Light taps, just dry brushing. Several light applications until coverage is sufficient. You don’t want it wet. That will try and creep under the stencil.

Take care,
Brian
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

Brian...all great info. Both the historical perspective of car lettering...and your own 1.5" scale experience.

So...do you have another piece of rolling stock winding it's way thru your shop? Maybe you can post something outlining/detailing the steps to stencil a piece of equipment. Just saying...

Thanx. Carl B.