Another 2900 project...

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

SF2900

Re: Another 2900 project...

Post by SF2900 »

Boiler and smokebox will be lagged and jacketed. Watching the 2926 guys down in New Mexico gives us lots of helpful info in that regards.
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

Nothing like having a prototype being rebuilt to follow! Their webpages have hundreds of disassembly and assembly photos.

The Santa Fe began lagging their smokeboxes fairly early. In doing so many were painted black like the boiler. Only the ring (smokebox) remained Front End Paint or Tarpon Gray.

In photos if you see a Santa Fe engine in service with a black smokebox it’s lagged.
SF2900

Post by SF2900 »

Brakes anyone?
Brakes anyone?
Rob Gardner

Post by Rob Gardner »

So how does the front end of your 2900 look right now? Loved the shot of your smokebox front. BTW, I just broke down a bought a very nice custom painted HO 2926. Now I just need to get a DCC throttle so I can enjoy running it. Can't wait to see your 1.6" scale model continue to take shape. Looking back at your photos of the cylinders makes me want to get back to work on the cylinders for my Greenbrier. Soon enough. A few more things to accomplish on my 1" project and then I'm going to get back to work on the Greenbrier. We need more 4-8-4s!

Rob Gardner
SF2900

Post by SF2900 »

Hey Rob - Good luck with your engines, both big and small. Unfortunately the smokebox front end on my 2900 doesn't look much different than it did in the earlier picture. We have disassembled the entire locomotive and have been painting the pieces and parts and reassembling it for the "final" time. We have almost finished welding up the boiler and are chasing a few stubborn leaks at the rear flue sheet. The lead and trailing trucks are pretty much complete except for the piping on the trailing truck brake cylinders. The stuff that we are currently working on include finishing up the installation of the brake rigging on the drivers, finishing installation of the valve gear, completing the rockers on the cradle, and completing the front end (pilot beam, cow catcher, front coupler pocket). We have also been monkeying around a bit with the tender cause we are all a bit ADD and cant totally focus on one thing at a time...
Ward
Attachments
buckeye frame.jpg
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Hello SF 2900,
Looking great your casted frame for the 8 wheel tender truck! 8)

All the best by asteamhead
dkellldog

Post by dkellldog »

Fine looking 4 axle buckeye tender truck frame. I'm building up a H8 and wonder if these are castings that are available. This whole series on the 2900 has been very informative and I want to thank all the contributors who have supplied their expertise. Second, does anyone know the history of the H8 Locomotive that was being built by Cliff Hadlock of Indiana? Cliff and I traded information years ago but then lost touch with one another. I'd like to get information on either Cliff or the successor builder of that project.

Dave Kelly
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

How far along are you on the H8? Any photos?
dkellldog

Post by dkellldog »

Not very far along. I started with an all welded frame pair, which has caused me a lot of grief as I corrected minor discrepancies in alignment. The boiler is being welded up now, after a false start with steel tubes. I may not finish but I sure enjoy working on the thing. It's upside down now as I work on the brake rigging but once upright, I'll send pictures. A lot of loco builders have set the bar very high. My plan is to rough out a working loco and fine detail it as time and my lifespan permit! I'm still working so accumulating parts is the top item on the list. I have a high def plasma table that I need to use as much as possible for parts before it moves out of the building.
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

Very cool. you might want to start a new thread documenting your build. I'm sure many here would enjoying following such a project. Look forward to the thread and photos!
SF2900

Post by SF2900 »

These Buckeye truck castings were supposedly made by Harry Haas for his Santa Fe locomotives and I purchased these castings from his son. They are not readily available as far as I know.
SF2900

Post by SF2900 »

Finally got the rockers done. Look almost too nice to paint!
Attachments
rocker cropped.jpg