Building the 2.5" Scale Shay

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Soot n' Cinders

Re: Building the 2.5" Scale Shay

Post by Soot n' Cinders »

Harold, My 1/8" end mill is carbide and only has 1/8" tall flutes on it so taking slow 0.010" cuts worked out just fine. The ideal arrangement wouldve been a slitting saw in a horizontal mill, but I have neither. The woodruff cutter may have worked but there isnt enough clearance on my mill because the quill is so thick. Either way, exact widths aren't necessary as my latch block is tapered so it locks into the notch tightly. Got both the block and the quadrant made last night and got them mounted. Now for the guide for the latch and the handle.
IMG_0245.jpg
IMG_0246.jpg
IMG_0247.JPG
-Tristan

Projects
-2.5" scale Class A 20 Ton Shay

Steam Siphon: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/leavitt ... tive-works
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Got it, Tristan. I didn't expect a short carbide end mill, which was a good choice under the circumstances.

Well done!

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
FLSTEAM

Post by FLSTEAM »

Wow, Looking good........

JB
Soot n' Cinders

Thanks guys! Forming the handle should be interesting. Probably just going to take time and a hammer though.
The handle, latch lifting link, and spring retainer are the last three parts of the valve gear to make. Then I need to start looking at what to do for the drain cocks. I was going to use modified valves from American Model Engineering Supply, but since they've shut down I have to find plan B. May have to make my own from scratch.
-Tristan

Projects

John_S

Post by John_S »

Quadrant looks absolutely fantastic! Good job!

The handle and latch are lots of fun to make. I made mine oversize (for my big, clunky hands). I love making little tapered handles and whatnot.
Soot n' Cinders

John_S wrote:Quadrant looks absolutely fantastic! Good job!

The handle and latch are lots of fun to make. I made mine oversize (for my big, clunky hands). I love making little tapered handles and whatnot.
Thanks John! How did you make the handle for your mogul?
-Tristan

Projects

Soot n' Cinders

Got the handle and spring retainer made today so the johnson bar is complete! Also sanded the wood for the deck boards and end sills, I'll start varnishing them tomorrow so they will be ready in time to take to the railroad on Saturday.
IMG_0252.jpg
IMG_0253.jpg
-Tristan

Projects

NP317

Post by NP317 »

Building those small fiddly parts sure is fun. BTDT.
Great results there! Gives your fingers goodies to play with and admire.
Keep having fun.
~RN
Soot n' Cinders

The wood is hung up with a coat of varnish right now so I spent the evening fiddling with finishes for the quadrant and johnson bar. After playing around about I went with a hot blackened finish for the quadrant, will probably do the same for the johnson bar but haven't completely decided yet. I do like the oxide finish and it seems pretty durable, plus it isnt too hard to apply. Just coat the cleaned steel part with some boiled linseed oil and heat with the torch until it turns black.
IMG_0254.JPG
-Tristan

Projects

Soot n' Cinders

Got the johnson bar blackened, the truss rods installed, and the wood mounted today. Now its ready to go to the railroad in the morning!
IMG_0255.JPG
IMG_0256.JPG
-Tristan

Projects

John_S

Post by John_S »

Tristan, the handle itself was turned from a piece of 3/8 round steel. I hogged most of the rough shape out and then used files and sand paper to get the finished shape. If I remember correctly, I left a 3/16 stub on the end of the handle that got silver soldered into the top of the square lever arm.

I made it very much oversize because I don't have little girly hands!
20160911_141602.jpg
Soot n' Cinders

Well, progress on the shay slipped back a bit. While disassembling the engine for painting, I found that one of the press joints had torn apart wrecking the hole in the counterbalance and also completely wearing out the rearmost carrier bearing in the engine base. After a couple attempts to repair the crankshaft by remaking the one balance, I have to remake all four. I can't get the keyways to line up correctly which renders the whole crankshaft useless. So I've pressed the whole thing apart and am remaking all of the counterbalances.
I'm remaking the crankwebs and will be using counterweights off the old shaft. So the new one will be assembled much like the prototype ones, the crankweb has a mortise with a matching tenon in the counterweight with the whole then held together by a threaded metal strap. Also, instead of pressing the joints I'll be doing a heat shrink fit. Trying to get the proper 0.0005" interference for the 0.5" hole is too tight for my old machinery. So I'll be using heat shrink fits with a 0.001" interference. I think this should work out much better, and should keep the holes from getting shredded by the force of the press cause my 20 ton press had no problem doing that.
-Tristan

Projects