New Electric boxcab Project

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

FredR

Re: New Electric boxcab Project

Post by FredR »

Very nice. Can't wait to see the next pictures you post.
I wish Chaski had "like" buttons like facebook :D
I woukd be using it a lot!
Fred
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

FredR wrote:Very nice. Can't wait to see the next pictures you post.
Fred
I asked about having one for the board, some time ago. The owner has a very busy schedule, putting his kids through college and working many hours. I'll try to gently remind him, so it might be included in the upgrade that is overdue, thanks to his busy schedule. All in good time, Fred :-)

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
FredR

Post by FredR »

That would be cool.
Still tried to find the like button :D Bad habits ...
Harold_V wrote:
FredR wrote:Very nice. Can't wait to see the next pictures you post.
Fred
I asked about having one for the board, some time ago. The owner has a very busy schedule, putting his kids through college and working many hours. I'll try to gently remind him, so it might be included in the upgrade that is overdue, thanks to his busy schedule. All in good time, Fred :-)

Harold
btlnco

Post by btlnco »

hey all,
last weekend I took the engine out to the opening day for the PNLS in Mollala, OR. was well received even if it was a very large paperweight at the moment. the trucks are just about done as is the body.
Attachments
working on the doors
working on the doors
front end with door in place
front end with door in place
btlnco

Post by btlnco »

some more pictures
sides being built and at the train park.

I tried rolling her down the tracks but with no suspension, an pins to hold the frame, she just derailed.
this past week we hammered out the equalizing suspension and with a few tweaks still to work on, shes almost ready to roll through some curves and switches

Jason
Attachments
getting sides laid up
getting sides laid up
at PNLS  the size through me off, at home she look huge, but put her next to a 1.6 scale SW, and she isnt all that big
at PNLS the size through me off, at home she look huge, but put her next to a 1.6 scale SW, and she isnt all that big
Last edited by btlnco on Sun May 12, 2013 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
btlnco

Post by btlnco »

so,
after some time figuring out how we were going to rig up the suspension we finally came up with a plan an executed it in precision military style..... well ok, it was allot of trial and error, and "what do you thinks?" and "we dont have any of those, and this is what we got's " but as you can see, shes fully equalized.
the fasteners and bar stock will all be replaced with laser cut pieces and the screws and bolts replaced with pins. but the truck rolls and as one set of wheels goes up, the other down. AWESOME!

more to come
Cheers

Jason
Attachments
one set of trucks fully equalized
one set of trucks fully equalized
checking to see if a bolt and nut will work for a pivot point... it does!
checking to see if a bolt and nut will work for a pivot point... it does!
IMAG1390.jpg
btlnco

Post by btlnco »

Hey all,
And here is a quick video of the suspension in action.

cheers
Jason
Lovesthedrive

Post by Lovesthedrive »

btlnco wrote:at PNLS the size through me off, at home she look huge, but put her next to a 1.6 scale SW, and she isnt all that big
Remember it isnt the size that matters. What matters most is that you feel what you have done is correct. Some one will always come along with something bigger. Yet as the addage says..... Bigger they are, the harder they fall

One of the reasons I got rid of the behemoth I had.
1969 MF 40 Industrial
timmy wheeler

Post by timmy wheeler »

btlnco wrote:it was allot of trial and error, and "what do you thinks?" and "we dont have any of those, and this is what we got's "
Why, that sounds exactly like military style......

Timmy (a former US Army Combat Engineer)
illigitimi non carborundum
btlnco

Post by btlnco »

Hey all,

Sorry I haven't posted much on the boxcab.

the picture below is the rolling chassis. works pretty good, needs some tweaking. kept derailing. have some other tricks. that andwere adding deeper flanges, and profiling the wheels which should let them track a bit better and not want to climb the rail as much.

I had the floor cut out and now Im ready to mount the body to the floor as soon as I can rig up a way to secure the flooring so I can remove for a shop tear-down.

almost ready to mount the motors and give it the test.

Painting to follow.. still undecided on what color/s to paint.

cheers
Jason
Attachments
here is the rolling chassis. the equalized suspension works pretty good. need some more tweaking.
here is the rolling chassis. the equalized suspension works pretty good. need some more tweaking.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

I suspect your de-rail problem will diminish when you get some weight going, to make the equilizing go to work for you. The climbing over is a symptom of too stiff or too light for the weight. So being bare, I think you have it close.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

steamin10 wrote:I suspect your de-rail problem will diminish when you get some weight going, to make the equilizing go to work for you. The climbing over is a symptom of too stiff or too light for the weight. So being bare, I think you have it close.
I can speak for Jason, the equalization is very flexible, in the last pic (shot at my place)
yes more weight will help but we have determined the need to be adjusted because of the long wheel base, the "point" of the flange is making contact with the rail head and allowing it to climb. (they are still in a rough state and was never finished)

the wheel sets out at my house and i will be "finishing" the wheels in the next couple days.
then they should be fine
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.