Converting a Baldwin 2-4-2 LYN to a Baldwin 2-4-4

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Cary Stewart

Re: Converting a Baldwin 2-4-2 LYN to a Baldwin 2-4-4

Post by Cary Stewart »

Hi Charlie,
If I recall correctly all of Winson's locos were entirely made with CNC hogged plate. There were no castings on any of them. That was the way they thought the price could be held down. What went wrong? I have no clue. Many of their first engines were made and run fairly well as I have been told. I believe there were 4 or 5 different locos sold with the Lynn being the last.
Cary
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Time to ask for help

I am taking the driver boxes apart to find the bearing in good shape with lots of grease on them. Should be no problem as they have never been run

The seals are another issue. Most are good but one is broken.

When I come in from travel I can take measurments and try to find a replacement but it strikes me that one of the British modelers that have sent me mails may already know the answer to this question.

In the mean time I did a fit check on the leading driver axle and boxes
DSC_0812.jpg
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Scratch Built 3 3/4 scale 0-4-4 Forney
Little Engines American
20 Ton Shay (Castings and Plans Purchased for future)
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

So if I'm looking at this drawing right that curtis posted the link to: http://www.flickr.com/photos/knepp736/6 ... 9171316551

The truck just swings back and forth a little? I am wondering how the truck is attached to the frame on Forneys to allow it to take sharper curves, the back end needs to swing out a fair amount. With a two wheel trailing truck, it's on a pivot who's pivot point is set far forward of the truck, so the body articulates quite a bit while the truck stays on the track. Anyone have good pictures of a forney trailing truck setup?

-Mike
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
Fender

Post by Fender »

Mike,
The forney trailing truck carries the weight of the loco on swing links, very similarly to the setup on a four-wheel lead truck. See attached drawing. The central bolster pivots on the frame but doesn't swing. It is suspended on the swing links from the outer bolster of the truck frame, which does swing.
Attachments
Trailing_truck_3513-3515_cropped.jpg
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

OK so it is the same as with the other drawing I referenced. Thanks. If anyone has an actual photo of such a truck I'd love to see it.

-Mike
Fender

Post by Fender »

Here's a link to a photo of the whole loco. I'm not aware of any photos of just the truck by itself:

http://gold.mylargescale.com/scottychao ... index.html
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

Thanks. I need to see the linkage detail on the truck. Next time Dave Rorher has his 2 1/2" SRRL 5 out I will check it out on the steam bays where I can get underneath it.

Cheers,

-Mike
Curtis_F

Post by Curtis_F »

Harlock wrote:I am wondering how the truck is attached to the frame on Forneys to allow it to take sharper curves, the back end needs to swing out a fair amount.
Mike,

There is no magic in a Forney 4 or 2 wheel Trailing Truck. No special lateral motion devices or swing motion setups. An 0-4-4 Forney with the exact same wheel base as a 4-4-0 will both have the same minimum radius. Though the Forney would have the weight of it's water tanks on the drivers wereas the 4-4-0 would be pulling a tender, so the Forney will (with all else being equal) have the higher Tractive Effort.

Jack Bodenmann put a non-swing motion Trailing Truck on his 2-4-4 #9, but put the bolster on track rollers so that it can move to-and-for several inches allowing it to take very sharp curves. While his trailing truck does carry weight and allow sharp radii, it does not guide the locomotive. Guiding around curves is 100% on the swing motion 2-wheel front Engine Truck.

Cheers,

Curtis F.
25+ Years of SolidWorks experience...now I feel old.
"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink."
"Winning an argument on the internet is like winning the Special Olympics."
www.facebook.com/HillcrestShops
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

Well you kind of guessed what I was getting at, how hard is to retrofit a standard freight truck to become a forney truck. If one wanted to make a swing link, you could re-do the center bolster and keep the sides. But letting it roll a bit is kind of interesting, using some light springs help it keep center on the straights.
srrl5

Post by srrl5 »

Harlock wrote:Thanks. I need to see the linkage detail on the truck. Next time Dave Rorher has his 2 1/2" SRRL 5 out I will check it out on the steam bays where I can get underneath it.

Cheers,

-Mike
First it's 3 3/4".

A lot of thought went into my loco. The curves we run on are nowhere near scale so a lot more then scale travel would be needed. My rear truck has always only had a center pin, no swing links or side travel. The first three years of operation were with a blind main driver and 25 degree angle instead of 10 degree to keep the tip of the flange from digging into the rail. This work ok most of the time. But after the loco rolled on it's side the second time from picking a bad rail joint it was time to make a change. The loco has been a "Mason Boggie" for the rest of the time which has solved all the problems.

David Rohrer
We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Long day at work in Maryland

In my spare time I am drawing the trailing truck plans for the 2-4-4 based on this drawing from Fender.

The drawing is quite clear on the layout of the Swing links although I will make them a little heaver in construction.

I will be able to make it without castings except for the wheels.
Trailing_truck_3519-3521_cropped.jpg
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

I belive I have a good understanding of the leaf springs for the Forney Truck but am looking for photographs of the real thing.

Can anyone help?
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American