Converting a Baldwin 2-4-2 LYN to a Baldwin 2-4-4

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Pipescs

Re: Converting a Baldwin 2-4-2 LYN to a Baldwin 2-4-4

Post by Pipescs »

Started tying up a lot of loose ends,

Made the throttle rod gland nut and packed it,

Put all the clean out plugs in place along with the blow down. Will need to notch the outer frame member (which is a façade added to give me another inch and a half in cab width) to allow the water to stream straight out on blow down.
DSC_6098.jpg
Also lagged in the copper line venting the site glass. (I realize this may not be a locomotive practice but we did it on ships. The lagging is linen fishing line from model ship building days, painted with high temp paint.

DSC_6096.jpg

This next week I will be building a pair of rolling road plates to allow the engine to turn over on air.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Scratch Built 3 3/4 scale 0-4-4 Forney
Little Engines American
20 Ton Shay (Castings and Plans Purchased for future)
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

A Red Letter Day. (For all you that have built many locomotives, you will understand)

This last week I have started at the bottom and finished up a large number of loose ends. First on the boiler I installed the Blow Down Valve and the seven clean out plugs. Made a gland nut and packed the throttle gland (Recently was given a roll of 1960's graphite yarn meant for faucets back in the pre-washer days). Installed the steam dome piping on the valve and turret line, and installed the steam dome cover. When I had it buttoned up, I installed a gauge in the turret fitting and did an air test to 50psi at which point I did a bubble check on the the fittings.

Today I ran around South Tennessee to purchase the parts to make a pair of bearing plates to put under the drivers. (this weekends project) Not wanting to wait I made up the line between the dry pipe and saddle.

So the big event tonight was pressurizing the boiler to 50 psi (after making sure I had large stop blocks on my short track stand) and opening the throttle. It has officially moved under pressure.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
rmac

Post by rmac »

Charlie wrote: It has officially moved under pressure.
I've never built a locomotive, but I can see where that would be a really big deal! Congrats.

-- Russell Mac
Andy R

It moved under air pressure !

Post by Andy R »

After all the fussing with the valve gear (etc.) it is really satisfying to see the drivers roll. Congratulations!
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

Congratulations!

I have observed that "Rust Bucket" quietly dropped from your vocabulary. :D
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

The Rust Bucket quietly was renamed the Lura Ann after my Mother in Law passed away this last December. Seemed fitting.

So today's project was making a set of bearing plates to put the main Drivers in. This so I could run it on a air compressor and start working on the timing. I am not sure what "Sounding Square is suppose to sound like, but I am pretty sure the 1-2-3-skip sound it is making is not right. More on that later.

Wanting a way for it to run on the test stand lead to making a set of ball bearing stands to put under the Drivers.

A friend had four to use on a 1.5 inch scale Shay, but when I picked them up I realized that, while they are good enough to split the shays weight four ways, they would definitly not carry the weight of a 3.75 scale Forney.
DSC_6099.jpg
I built these out of 5/8 inch hot rolled rod, quarter inch thick plate and R-8 bearings on 1/2 inch shoulder bolts.
DSC_6103.jpg
DSC_6107.jpg

Getting the engine up high enough to insert them is not for the feint of heart. I ended up using a engine hoist and doing one end at a time. I don't care for the way the engine is up off the tracks. Decided to put straps on it, to the stand when I move it in the shop. Plan is to take it down after I get the timing set better.

One other temp fix was to run copper tubing from the dry pipe to the saddle to be able to run the engine with the throttle lever and check the piping out. I am told this should be replace by SS before I get too involved in running it.
DSC_6109.jpg
Thanks for the comments, Good, Bad and all others. Beginners need all they can get.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Runs great on the bearing plates, Boy do I have timing issues. In the mean time I am ordering parts from Blackgates in England. Cylinder Cocks, Snifter Valves and Steam Chest Oil Check Valves. I know I have drawings to make them all, they are the right size and threads for the British Cylinders I am dealing with along with the fact that they are actually fairly cheap even with shipping.

In the mean time I have made the final decisions on the Ash Pan that I have roughed in earlier.

DSC_5925.jpg

This is from the Lucky 7 design back in the 1970-80 period I have the main box built and realize there is not a lot of area to drop the bottom down for clean out. This design has side doors that open to allow pushing the ashes out the other side with a rake. I understand it allows cleaning out the ashes even when not located in the firing bay or over an ash dump.
Ash Pan Doors (Lucky 7).JPG
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

A lot of ash pans have a sliding cover on the bottom that slides in forward or back. This is a pretty good arrangement as there's no way to for it to open somehow and catch the track etc.

Side doors would be good as well and might be easier to clean out.
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

Pipescs wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:07 pm Before I start cutting wood for patterns, does anyone know of a source for this style steamdome/sand dome?

It would be for a boiler and jacket 11 inches in diameter. I believe I will be casting them in the six in diameter region after getting measurements from this O scale model.

IMG_3030.jpg
I sent you a private message concerning a source of Portland Co. domes.
Portland Co. Forney
Portland Co. Forney
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

Another picture
472377E1-09B4-41E4-AB73-93BA97DB5DF6.jpeg
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Thanks for the PM, I sent off a PM to the owner.

The domes are exactly what I am looking for but may be too small as the boiler on mine is 11 inch's in diameter with the jacket.

What really catches my eye is his version of a winter cab. I really will have to try it after seeing his design. I am looking for some clear Ash but may have to settle on Oak.

Not in the shop since Tuesday. My son came home from College with COVID-19 and now all My wife and I are down with it. I started showing symptoms on Tuesday with Last having been the crest. Feeling better this morning

Public Service announcement: I know many people are anti-Vax these days My sister was one of these people that did not trust the gov. She passed away from the virus the last of August at 63 years old. Every one I know, that has caught it after the vaccine, has recovered in about a week.

i know people say "Stay Safe and Social Distance" That really does not mean that much when you are dealing with life and family. You truly can catch it anywhere.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

Pipescs wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:34 am Thanks for the PM, I sent off a PM to the owner.

The domes are exactly what I am looking for but may be too small as the boiler on mine is 11 inch's in diameter with the jacket.

What really catches my eye is his version of a winter cab. I really will have to try it after seeing his design. I am looking for some clear Ash but may have to settle on Oak.
Get well soon! Ed’s version of the cab is exactly what was used by the Portland Co. when they built the original Sandy River RR No.5 (now WW&F No.8)
Ed usd the original Portland Co. drawings which are available at the Maine State Archives. And direct measurement of the original which is located t the WW&F Rwy. Museum in Alan, Maine

Keith