Converting a Baldwin 2-4-2 LYN to a Baldwin 2-4-4

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Pipescs

Re: Converting a Baldwin 2-4-2 LYN to a Baldwin 2-4-4

Post by Pipescs »

After looking at the photos above and this one I have decided to drop the boiler 1.5 inches to improve its profile.
8ECE6EE0-AF89-4DB3-A68B-3D0A99C652E7.jpg

This is simple at this point as I have yet to do the rear boiler mounts. It will require me to pierce the inside frames to allow access to the boiler cleanouts and blowdown.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Scratch Built 3 3/4 scale 0-4-4 Forney
Little Engines American
20 Ton Shay (Castings and Plans Purchased for future)
NP317

Post by NP317 »

That is a good esthetic decision to my eyes.
RussN
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

Agree 100%. Lower boiler will look good. Always thought the RMI engines sat a little tall with their boilers.
EdC

Post by EdC »

I have been following along with your conversion and couldn't agree more. The profile of that engine seems perfect for your model.
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

I dropped the boiler 1.5 inches which made a large change in shape. I dummied up a cardboard cab to get an idea of the look. I will try to post it later.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
EdC

Post by EdC »

This may be of interest to you (and others) http://forum.wwfry.org/index.php?topic=2247.0
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

a chaski board member also built a 3.75 scale SRRL 5 with very similar proportions. Might find some inspiration photos of that. I think the engine is out west somewhere.
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Finished her grates today.
DSC_5912.jpg
No one mentioned how tedious these were going to be. They also came at a cost with the increase in the cost of stainless steel.

They are made up of 1 inch by 1/4 inch stainless 316 flat bar stock and stainless bolts and nuts.

I will also say that these should not be attempted without a good drill press/mill and a way to sharpen drill bits as the stainless eats them up. I stacked the bars four deep in the milling vise. I had to change drill bit out after each hole.

In the mean time I have been welding on the frame along with continuing to work on the boiler mounting. I decided today I was still unhappy with the level and plan to drop the boiler down 3/8 inch more on the front end. I now have the sheet of steel that will be the cab floor.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Managed to get the decking in place around the boiler. This is 1/8 inch mild steel. I ended up using 31, 6-32 screws to hold it down.
DSC_5913.jpg
After that I pulled the boiler to work on the two cross pins that run thru the frame to support the grates along with hang the ash pan on.

The Firebox door is wide enough to allow installing and pulling the grates out with a rake.

I was going to bolt the ash pan to the frame with the idea that pulling the pins would drop the fire into the ash pan. I have changed the idea so the grate and ash pan both are held in place with 1/2 inch stainless rods. Pulling the rods will drop them both. With the grates inside the ash pan there is plenty of room to slide the entire setup out from under the boiler if out on the track.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

In the process of learning Sheet Metal Fab. After only one short exposure to Stainless Welding I am also about to tackle the welding of thin stainless. Process to be TIG. Any pointers appreciated at this point.

The Wooden structure on the back of the deck is my mock up of a wooden tank prior to having it made.
Ash Pan in the Works.jpg
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Ash Pan is framed, (needs a bottom), the arch supports are welded in and the arch is made up of removable panels of 316 SS Bars.

Spent a few hours today putting the strapping on the boiler to support the cladding.

Tomorrow is a work day at Mid South and am planning to go.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Working on the completion of the boiler.

The grates were completed and are suspended on Stainless rods run thru the frame and the ash pan is also suspended by these rods. Last week I was able to hang the arches inside the firebox. I ended up welding in side bars inside the firebox and welded up short plates that run across the firebox, laying on the side bars.
DSC_5927.jpg
I have the boiler off the frame again, and am working on the jacket. The jacket is being patterned with poster board.
DSC_5931.jpg
Monday the plan is to have the three plates sheered to size and then cut the openings. Then back to Pontiacguys shop to roll the plates into cylinders.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American