Converting a Baldwin 2-4-2 LYN to a Baldwin 2-4-4

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Marty_Knox

Re: Converting a Baldwin 2-4-2 LYN to a Baldwin 2-4-4

Post by Marty_Knox »

Well, Charlie - how do you like the TIG? That weld around the 1" pipe looks good.
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Hey Marty,

I will say that Stick, Mig and Tig do not come naturally. I think I am having good luck understanding the TIG process as I had a year of torch welding years ago in highschool where we made a puddle with the torch and then added metal with the left hand as we moved along. I know MIG and TIG must have existed in the early 70's but we were not introduced to it at the high school level

I can see where the stick is the best method of putting boiler plates together. By the way, After showing the Head of the Welding Dept at Calhoun Community College what I was attempting, He guided me toward the 6018 root pass with over passes of the 7018. Last semester I was in a Stick, Fillet Class with plans to take a groove class this semester. With the Virus everything was shut down on the fillet class at the point I was about to start working a vertical weld lab to be followed by over-head.

This summer they had a small class on Special Interest. Basic intro to Stick, Mig and Tig. They understand I am not looking to get certified and the instructors have let me concentrate on Stick and Mig in flat Horiz and Vertical only. The last two weeks I have been working MIg. I can see a need for this with a much more powerfull machine than I have here at the house. We are welding 1/4 and 3/8 inch with the mig machine. Very serious machine compared to my Lincoln Mig that will only do 1/8 max.

Thursday was my first day of Scratch/Lift Arc Tig.

After one day I am liking it but am still unsteady. I figure i will work another two weeks on the horizontal Tig with my afternoons working on the process of going around a smaller and smaller circle. At that point where I can do it every time on a sample, I will put in my Clean Outs.

By the way, When you add up the hours of training , cost of tools and classes, I should have just ordered the boiler from you. But the trip has been fun so far.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Scratch Built 3 3/4 scale 0-4-4 Forney
Little Engines American
20 Ton Shay (Castings and Plans Purchased for future)
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Charlie,
You are an excellent example of an individual who enjoys the journey. I, too, would weld my own boiler, assuming I was in the position to do so. There's a degree of satisfaction that can't be duplicated when one conquers such a task.

I read your comment about a root pass with interest. I have labored under the impression that one would use 6010/6011 for the root pass. I have never read or heard of using 6018. Am I missing something?

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Yes I messed up.

Root Pass is with a 6010 and the filler is 7018.

I have just finished up a summer semester the school offered that was labels "A Special Interest Class" There were only 10 people allowed in the Lab, we all had to stay apart and wear mask. It quickly dropped to only four students for various reasons.

I was able to work on my boiler as the instructors wanted to work on things we felt pertinent. I was able to work thru Short Circuit MIG, Flux Core Mig, Dual Shielded MIG, TIG Steel, TIG Stainless.

The greatest improvement for me was with the MIG system and the TIG interested me enought that I have signed up for a TIG fillet Class this next semester starting the 19th of August.

The main thing that has come out of this class is my desire to upgrade my welder at the house to be able to do all the various processes.

The school had four Miller Multimatic 220 welders and were willing to let me use one for the class period. I have one on order that should come in next week some time.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Cool!
Please continue posting on your progress. I've followed this thread with considerable interest.
I sure like the looks of that round TIG weld you posted last month. You appear to "get it" quite nicely. I'm envious! :wink:

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Progress got slow but continues.

I will try to post some progress photos soon.

the steam dome base is welded along with all the internal piping. Today I stared welding the Mud Ring to the Fire box.

This week I start a dedicated TIG Class but have already become comfortable with welding in the clean outs.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My friends
I must commend Charlie for the fine job he has been doing. As Harold mentions, there is nothing that can beat the sense of satisfaction and accomplishment as the first time you run a locomotive you built. Wether you did all the work yourself as Charlie has done, or built one with a lot of help. Many have started engines...few complete them. Good job Charlie!
Jack
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Some photos.

I really am creeping along on this. The current virus brought my two youngest home from college (where they have returned to this last month) and I am back in a TIG class right now.

I have made progress on the Lyn Boiler but very little on the Shay. Mostly because Richland LLC has been swamped an my steel order was delayed.

On the lyn ( Rust Bucket) the majority of the small assembly work is complete with the latest being the building and checking of the inside steam lines. The pressure tested good and they were welded in at the top of the boiler and then tested for leaks again.

This week I have put together a FAB table with a new 2'x4' top.
FRLQ1413.jpg

Today I started tac welding the sheets to the top of the table and fitting them together. This showed me the mud ring on my fire box is about 3/32" too long and wide to fit. A little grinding is in order to fit it. By tacking the throat and one side sheets in place with squared it allowed me to set the tube in place to fiddle it into the final fitting.
Shay boiler in the Back Ground
Shay boiler in the Back Ground

The plan is to tack the throat sheet and two side sheets to the tube so that I can roll it around and do all the finish welding on them prior to sliding the fire box into place.
IMG_2025.jpg
More later.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Welding class and the new table are showing their benefits. Having set up the sidesheets, throat sheet and main tube using squares I tacked them all to the flat table top with four tacks that I could reach to grind away when all the pieces were tacked to each other.

I then fitted the fire box from the backhead opening. This took a little grinding on the mud ring and when all seemed straight I tacked all of the pieces together with large tacks. At this point I cut it all free from the table top

Now I am making root passes with my old Lincoln 225 AC/DC and 6010 Rods. I will mention the new Miller TIG/MIG/Stick Multi Process welder, while being great at TIG and MIG, will not run a 6010 rod. When I contacted MIller about it, they simply stated that they would not recommend I use that rod as the Open Circuit Voltage was too low on the Multimatic 220 to support that rod. They recommended that if I wanted to run that particular rod I should move up to a Miller 255. I,m good with what I have as the old Lincoln runs the 6010 fine and the new one is doing all in need for MIG and TIG

Next few days are completing all the root passes on this section.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

So,

Welding a boiler together is a lot like beating yourself in the head with a ballpeen hammer. It feels good when you stop.

I am progressing well and am happy with the results so far. Of course I am on my third semester of welding classes and even a really old dog can be taught some new things.

I do not spend a lot of time at this on a daily basis but the progress is starting to show.

I spent my time in the shop yesterday and today finish welding the mud ring bottom into place. This takes multiple passes with 6010 rods followed by filler passes with 7018. So far I have consumed 5 pounds of 6010 rods and 5 pounds of 7018. I am about half way thru the process of welding it all together.
DSC_5824.jpg
Short discussion on welders.

When I started welding classes the instructors recommended I look into the Miller Multimatic 220. They had four at the school so I was allowed to use one for both Mig and Tig welding. Absolutely love it. Decided to buy one along with a bottle of Mig Gas Mix and a bottle of Argon for Tig. All was good in the world until I decided to use it for Stick welding with the 6010 rod. Did not work. Speaking to the Miller rep I was told that most inexpensive ($3200.000) inverter welders will not run the 6010 rod due to low Open Circuit Voltage. I would need to move up to the $6000.00 Model 255 to do that. Interestingly enough the shop I bought it from offered to refund my money as they knew what I was buying it for. As I have really learned to like Tig and Mig welding,which it does very well, I have decided to keep it.
GIES7704.jpg
I also decided to keep my transformer Lincoln 225 AC/DC welder for stick welding. This is also a cheap welder costing around $250.00 used, but is a wizard with the 6010 and 7018 rod.
DSC_5622.jpg
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Before someone asks. The front tube sheet is not in position. I simply have it stuck in the tube to help balance it on the stands. It will be the last part I weld in after all the stay bolts are welded in and the main tube is cleaned out.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Welding Stay Bolts
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American