Converting a Baldwin 2-4-2 LYN to a Baldwin 2-4-4

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Pipescs

Re: Converting a Baldwin 2-4-2 LYN to a Baldwin 2-4-4

Post by Pipescs »

Yesterday I took all the painted parts back apart and assembled the basic frame parts permanently using Loctite on all the bolts.

Not mentioned in the instructions were dowel pins in all the major frame juntions. I assume to help hold alignment when running. I replaced these with new pins. As they were not metric and not mentioned in the book of instructions I am assuming it was done by the original owner.

I layed out two parallels on my surface plate and assembled the frame on them. I did this to ensure they frame was not twisted and to get it square.

Continuing to derust parts using the battery charger.

Trying to also work on the Pacific
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Scratch Built 3 3/4 scale 0-4-4 Forney
Little Engines American
20 Ton Shay (Castings and Plans Purchased for future)
Adirondack

Post by Adirondack »

Pipescs wrote:Not much time in the shop tonight as I am wore out lately from work.

What I did get down to do tonight was to put together a rust removal experiment using a battery charger.

I followed the advice of a coworker and went to this site

http://www.instructables.com/id/Electro ... aka-Magic/

It was simple to throw together and it is running right now with a couple of test pieces. Going to look at them in 3 hours and see how they do.

Basicly it is a five gallon plastic bucket with five pieces of rebar around the edges connected with copper wire.
DSC_0737.jpg
A product called Washing Soda is added (Five Tablespoons)
DSC_0739.jpg
The positive lead is connected to the five rods and the negative is connected to the part using clips and wire.

It is suppose to take between half an hour to two days to get the rust off.

I have it on six volts low amps and the parts are bubbling as advertised. We shall see.
DSC_0740.jpg
By the way I did pick expendable parts for the test.

By the way, this is one NIFTY trick! I definitely added this to my bag of tricks.

Cheers,

Chris
Adirondack Car & Foundry
Check out our projects: https://www.facebook.com/ADKrail/
Visit our ALL-NEW online store: https://adirondackcarfoundry.square.site/

A little locomotive with 4 wheels on the track is a lot more fun
than a 1/2 finished one with 16 wheels on the bench!
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Still de-rusting and painting parts. No use in posting photos as its boring stuff. Needless to say I am in love with the battery charger method of getting the rust off.

In the mean time Fender sent me a drawing a Forney that I believe he said ran on 3 foot gauge. don't quote me on that.

To see how things would fit I loaded the drawing from the book of instructions as a JPEG into AutoCAD.

It is not a dimensioned drawing, bus as I know my frame length is 70 inches I scaled the drawing to that size.

After doing a trace layer on top showing the basic frame, driver and leading truck I then turned the base drawing off so it could not be seen.

At this point I loaded Fenders drawing into the file and placed it behind the model drawing. I scaled the drawing to the same driver wheel base to see how the engine would look.

I am very pleased with it and then started tracing in the full scale details to see how they would measure out.

It appears the frame extension to the rear will be 24 inches. The cab will be 28 inches over the track.

The red ink is the original model trace with the boiler in green. The green shows a 10 inch pipe for a boiler and it would be 43 inches long. the purple is the cab area.
Baldwin 2-4-4 Effort Model (1).jpg
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
SilverSanJuan

Post by SilverSanJuan »

That looks great Charlie. Should be a nice project. And, it's a real good lookin' loco.
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

Adirondack wrote:
Pipescs wrote:Not much time in the shop tonight as I am wore out lately from work.

What I did get down to do tonight was to put together a rust removal experiment using a battery charger.

I followed the advice of a coworker and went to this site

http://www.instructables.com/id/Electro ... aka-Magic/

It was simple to throw together and it is running right now with a couple of test pieces. Going to look at them in 3 hours and see how they do.

Basicly it is a five gallon plastic bucket with five pieces of rebar around the edges connected with copper wire.
DSC_0737.jpg
A product called Washing Soda is added (Five Tablespoons)
DSC_0739.jpg
The positive lead is connected to the five rods and the negative is connected to the part using clips and wire.

It is suppose to take between half an hour to two days to get the rust off.

I have it on six volts low amps and the parts are bubbling as advertised. We shall see.
DSC_0740.jpg
By the way I did pick expendable parts for the test.

By the way, this is one NIFTY trick! I definitely added this to my bag of tricks.

Cheers,

Chris
Does using a higher voltage, 12V, or a higher amperage setting on the battery charger change the results at all? De-rusted quicker? or damage done to the pieces?
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Higher voltage definitly kicks the process into high gear. This site tells a little more on the process.

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/andyspatch/rust.htm

One thing I noticed is that after a lot of use the current has started to fall off and the process was really slowing down.

today I pulled the sacrifical rods and found them covered in rust. I took a wire brush to them and it is back to full blast again with the current being between five and ten amps.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Adirondack

Post by Adirondack »

Pipescs wrote:Still de-rusting and painting parts. No use in posting photos as its boring stuff. Needless to say I am in love with the battery charger method of getting the rust off.

In the mean time Fender sent me a drawing a Forney that I believe he said ran on 3 foot gauge. don't quote me on that.

To see how things would fit I loaded the drawing from the book of instructions as a JPEG into AutoCAD.

It is not a dimensioned drawing, bus as I know my frame length is 70 inches I scaled the drawing to that size.

After doing a trace layer on top showing the basic frame, driver and leading truck I then turned the base drawing off so it could not be seen.

At this point I loaded Fenders drawing into the file and placed it behind the model drawing. I scaled the drawing to the same driver wheel base to see how the engine would look.

I am very pleased with it and then started tracing in the full scale details to see how they would measure out.

It appears the frame extension to the rear will be 24 inches. The cab will be 28 inches over the track.

The red ink is the original model trace with the boiler in green. The green shows a 10 inch pipe for a boiler and it would be 43 inches long. the purple is the cab area.
Baldwin 2-4-4 Effort Model (1).jpg
I'm pretty sure this is a Maine two footer. Probably SR&RL #10. Should be built to 3 3/4" scale on 7 1/2" gauge f you're fussy.

Cheers,

Chris
Adirondack Car & Foundry

Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Stripping rust.

The frame is all stripped and even though I am not planning on using the british "Buffers" (The Red parts) I went ahead and screwed them on to stiffen the frame.
DSC_0797.jpg
DSC_0796.jpg
I am now removing rust on the driver parts that I broke apart last week.
DSC_0781.jpg
While she will never be a show piece, she is cleaning up nice for something that had been close to the junk yard
DSC_0792.jpg
In the paint shop drying
DSC_0794.jpg
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Ooops.. I thought that was a chunk of tread missing in the last photo, until I clicked it, and realized it is just some blue tape crease, and not metal. From what I can see, the process does a nice job. I am encouraged to try this on some flooded parts I have. Thanks for post9ing it so well.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

The drivers appear to be CNC cut from disk as they have no casting marks on them at all.

One is in the tank having been there all night and one is ready to mask. After that I will moving to the Axles and eccentrics.

The eccentrics are not going to be so easy as to simply bolt them on.

When Winson designed the kit they put a keyfor the cranks and on both sides of the axle they put a key for the two sets of eccentrics. Trouble is that they broached all five (One for the front alxe waterpump that I dont have) in exactly the same place so they are not adjustable. I will get the rust off this weekend and worry about the timing when I get back home next month.

You can see what I mean in this photo where both eccentrics are together on each side.
DSC_0713.jpg
I should mention they have set screws
DSC_0787.jpg
All the British Modelers seem to have had to deal with this.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Adirondack

Post by Adirondack »

Pipescs wrote:Stripping rust.

The frame is all stripped and even though I am not planning on using the british "Buffers" (The Red parts) I went ahead and screwed them on to stiffen the frame.
DSC_0797.jpg
DSC_0796.jpg
I am now removing rust on the driver parts that I broke apart last week.
DSC_0781.jpg
While she will never be a show piece, she is cleaning up nice for something that had been close to the junk yard
DSC_0792.jpg
In the paint shop drying
DSC_0794.jpg
That is one BIG gorgeous loco!

I love narrow gauge engines for just that reason. UK narrow gauge even better.

cheers,

Chris
Adirondack Car & Foundry

Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Having had a bad day on the PS-4 I can say the Forney comes along nicely

This is the last driver coming out of the tank.
DSC_0800.jpg
After drying the sludge comes off as a dry powder using a battery drill with a wire brush wheel.

This is the first attempt at doing multiple parts on a wire.
DSC_0790.jpg
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American