Like most of us in this hobby I find I have too many things going on in life and get distracted.
I have been doing too many side projects and my work was seriously getting in the way.
The kids are off in college now and my work has changed to the point I have no travel.
While I still do have one other project ongoing, I did pull out the Rust Bucket and start cleaning it off to work on. I think I will be cleaning it this week, with the idea that I will be running it on air just to motivate myself. Just before I had quit working on it, Pontiac Guy and I did a test tow at Mid South. This proved the front truck was not going to work without some serious redesign of the suspension. At this point the engine became a 0-4-4 project and it tracks perfectly around the 40 foot radius curves.
While I was on my break I took two semesters at my local Tech School on the Lathe and Milling Machine. During these classes I had to make the school projects but was also allowed to make other projects. I was able to make a repair part for my Jet Lathe and I started the pilot beam for the new short nosed Rust Bucket.
This weekend I took the parts I made in class and started their matting. The holes in the frame beam needed to be transferred to the pilot beam and then drilled and tapped. I have seven of the ten done. The holes are blind in the pilot beam so they will not show from the front.
The pilot beam is one inch thick and the frame spreader is a piece of 2x2. My logic in the heavy parts is one of adding weight for traction. My suspension is equalized put has no springs. With all my weight riding over the rear truck, I am adding weight forward of the drivers.
The plan is to start at the nose and work thru to the rear of the engine making sure I fix any issues before starting on the boiler project.
2.5 Baldwin 2-4-2/2-4-4/0-4-4 Conversion (What ever)
Little Engines American Restoration