CNW J class Mikado

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Brian Hilgert

Re: CNW J class Mikado

Post by Brian Hilgert »

Those journal boxes look very prototypical. Very nice! How did you machine them? what are the fixtures in the background for? How are you machining the bearings (bronze?)

Sorry about all the questions.
B
Rwilliams

Post by Rwilliams »

Interesting set of injectors in the one photo. Never seen a set like that in 1.5 scale before. Are they a style of Nathan injector or a Monitor?

Who made them and where does one find them if they are still on the market?

Posting images always bring sup questions.

Robert
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

Interesting set of injectors in the one photo
Looks like a Sellers from LS Supply. They haven't been available for quite a few years. Here is a link to an archived web page -
http://web.archive.org/web/200102200718 ... ellers.htm
FLtenwheeler

Post by FLtenwheeler »

Brian Hilgert wrote:Those journal boxes look very prototypical. Very nice! How did you machine them?
I had them cut out with a wire EDM machine by http://www.cumberlandmodelengineering.com/ .
Brian Hilgert wrote:What are the fixtures in the background for?
Those are just the drops. I will use them for something.
Brian Hilgert wrote:How are you machining the bearings (bronze?)
I am looking at options, encluding how the prototype was machined. I will be using C93600 High-Leaded Tin Bronze (Modified SAE 64) (81-7-12).

Tim
Last edited by FLtenwheeler on Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
He who dies with the most unfinished projects: Should of put more time into their hobby.
FLtenwheeler

Post by FLtenwheeler »

Dick_Morris wrote:
Interesting set of injectors in the one photo
Looks like a Sellers from LS Supply. They haven't been available for quite a few years. Here is a link to an archived web page -
http://web.archive.org/web/200102200718 ... ellers.htm
You are correct Dick. I also have 2 new starting valves in my box of fittings.

Does anyone know if someone purchased the "2.5" Scale Nathan Check Valve Tooling"? I know it was for sale.

Tim
He who dies with the most unfinished projects: Should of put more time into their hobby.
Brian Hilgert

Post by Brian Hilgert »

I had them cut out with a wire EDM machine
Ahhhh. slick!
B
FLtenwheeler

Post by FLtenwheeler »

I have final been able to machin the frames. I had them water jet cut with machining allowance of 0.100". When I get around to making the rods I will only leave 0.020".

Tim
Attachments
Frames.jpg
FLtenwheeler

Post by FLtenwheeler »

I just got back from the foundry. I have my custom driver centers.

Tim
Attachments
Driver-Centers.jpg
PeterCraymer

Post by PeterCraymer »

Tim,

The castings look great! I am very interested in your process to make the patterns and get the wheels cast. I want to build an N&W J and there is no similar driver on the market, so I will need to do the same. I don't have near the amount of parts collected as you, but still need to start the project!

thanks,

Peter
FLtenwheeler

Post by FLtenwheeler »

Hi Peter

I used Solidworks to draw the drivers from the original drawings. Then had Shapeways print the drivers and the backing board. They came out great.

Can you get the drawings for the driversame from the N&W historical society?

Tim
PeterCraymer

Post by PeterCraymer »

Tim,

By print them you mean the patterns themselves?
What material for the patterns?
How are the backing boards used in the mold process? I see they must be the white pieces but in the photo it is hard to tell how they come together.
I have heard of printing the sand mold itself also.
Did you use a foundry on the east coast or?
Did you allow for shrinkage?

I guess I need to work on my 3D AutoCAD capabilities! The drawings are available so this may be the best route.

maybe a PM is in order! I have many questions as they are great looking and very specific castings much like what I need to do!

Thanks,

Peter
FLtenwheeler

Post by FLtenwheeler »

PeterCraymer wrote:Tim,

By print them you mean the patterns themselves? Yes, the patterns where printed by Shapeways in white strong and flexible.
What material for the patterns?
How are the backing boards used in the mold process? I see they must be the white pieces but in the photo it is hard to tell how they come together. The backing board is used with a loose pattern that does not have a flat back when ramming up the cope. It is removed when the drag is rammed up.
I have heard of printing the sand mold itself also. I checked into doing it that way. $4000.00 for the 8 wheels.
Did you use a foundry on the east coast or? I used "Consolidated Castings" in Jacksonville. Great to deal with.
Did you allow for shrinkage? I used 0.100" for shrinkage.

I guess I need to work on my 3D AutoCAD capabilities! The drawings are available so this may be the best route.

maybe a PM is in order! I have many questions as they are great looking and very specific castings much like what I need to do!

Thanks,

Peter