Erie K5a Pacific

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Andypullen

Re: Erie K5a Pacific

Post by Andypullen »

Fender wrote:Andy,
I like the way you have the drivers overlapping, kind of like on the "Soul Train"! Now, that would be a cool model....

Thanks Dan... :lol:

Andy
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw, Hardinge HSL speed lathe, Hardinge HC chucker, Kearney and Trecker #2K plain horizontal mill, Haas TL-1 lathe.
Brian Tusin

Post by Brian Tusin »

Thanks for posting the picture Andy, they look great! I can't wait to get them in a couple weeks.

Brian
Brian Tusin

Post by Brian Tusin »

I just finished the lead truck for the engine yesterday. I am very happy with how it turned out. It took two and a half weekends to build. The frame and center piece are bar stock, and the swing links were cut on my friend Brian Keim's CNC machine. I want to say thanks to my friend Brian Keim also, if it was not for the use of his shop and his help I would not be able to build the engine.

A swing link in the CNC getting profiled.

The just about finished center piece in the mill. I had between 10-12 hours in this piece.

Turning the axles to size to press the wheels on.

The completed lead truck.

I also have the springs made for the trailing truck and some of the pieces for the main springs. The next thing is going to be the trailing truck and putting the tires on the drive wheels.

Brian
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

Wow, is that an old Southbend you're turning the axles on? Looks a like standard SB taper attachment behind the live center.

That hand scraped bed is clean!

Any reason why you are turning on the tailstock end instead of the head end or are you doing both ends at the same time without flipping the axle?

Brian
Brian Tusin

Post by Brian Tusin »

Brian, I am turned the axles between centers. That is what he print called for.

I am not sure how old the lathe is, my friend just had it refurbished.

Brian
Andypullen

Post by Andypullen »

Very nice, Brian!

andy
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw, Hardinge HSL speed lathe, Hardinge HC chucker, Kearney and Trecker #2K plain horizontal mill, Haas TL-1 lathe.
BobbyT

Post by BobbyT »

You are making good progress Brian. I see you are inspired! Maybe we can see a K5 doubleheader at the BCRR?

Bobby
Brian Tusin

Post by Brian Tusin »

Thanks Andy and Bobby. Maybe one day Bobby, mine will not be as nice as Bob's though. Not to much progress this weekend. The trailing truck wheels are rough turned and ready for the axle hole to be bored. The trailing truck journal boxes are about half way through machining, and the trailing truck frame was started. I ran into some problems holding the trailing truck frame, I ordered some machinist jacks and that should fix the problem.

The goal for next weekend is to get the tires mounted onto the drive wheels and turned. Does any one have a suggestion for a metal prep? There is some light surface rust on the drive wheels and I am not sure how to get that off since I can not bead blast them since they are mounted on the axles.

Brian
Brian Tusin

Post by Brian Tusin »

I made a good amount of progress this weekend. The trailing truck frame is machined and the journal boxes for the trailing truck are about 80% complete. Also the tire blanks are machined and are ready to be shrunk onto the drivers. The drivers still need a step cut into them for the tires, then I can turn the outside of the tires on the wheels between centres. Hopefully I can complete the trailing truck within a couple weeks. Here are a couple pics.

All of the holes for the suspension are drilled into the frame too.

Brian
Andypullen

Post by Andypullen »

Nice! Keep up the good work!

Andy
Erie2936

Post by Erie2936 »

Nice shop facility!
Brian Keim
Brian Tusin

Post by Brian Tusin »

Thanks Andy! Yes it is a nice shop facility Brian! I am lucky I have access to such nice machinery!

Brian