Queensland Rail diesel tilt train

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

kel1944

Queensland Rail diesel tilt train

Post by kel1944 »

Hi All,
A few years ago I managed to obtain a full set of drawings for the Queensland Rail diesel tilt train that runs from Brisbane to Cairns. The manufacturers were very helpful there and also gave me the frequencies of the 5 tone air horns used in the country and the single used in the city. From these drawings I redrew my modified version and started building. Its in 1/6 scale due to our track gauge for full size being 3' 6". I am building 2 locos in push pull arrangement though only the front one powered, as well as 2 carriages. The scaled length worked out to be almost 12ft but for ease of handlinf I reduced mine to 10ft length x 22" wide x 27" high. I changed to truck arrangement to articulated trucks meaning I only need 5 trucks instead of 8. These trucks are all the same although the real train had different ones on the carriages. Mine have trailing arm suspension, something quite different from normal. Each truck is 21" long for 7.25" gauge track. Power used are 4 x 24vdc 500w electric motors getting power from a 24v 200A alternator driven by a 13hp 4 stroke motor. I'm adding a auto dash camera to each loco cab feeding audio and video to 4 x 7" monitors, 1 in each unit and I can switch video from each camera or a dvd player. Smoke generators for exhausts in each loco plus small aircraft strobe lights to each cab roof. A Knightrider style of lights across each loco nose to represent aircraft style left right scanning radar for track scanning ahead and behind for safety. I must at this point say tghat I am airforce trained in avionics having served 16 years with the RAAF then another 10 years modifying F-111 avionics with Boeing followed by 2 years with Boeing on 737 mods for AEW&C Wedgetail aircraft as a technical writer. Anybody interested on further information can contact me on silverknight1944@hotmail.com as I have yet to work out how to attach pics here.