Boston & Albany K6b Pacific

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

BobbyT

Boston & Albany K6b Pacific

Post by BobbyT »

I am finally ready to start building a 1.5" scale, 7.5" gauge locomotive. I have been hesitant to take that first step but after reading many of the build logs here I have worked up the courage. Special thanks to Hudson Honey for being an inspiration. I am very fortunate to know some very accomplished live steam builders who are also very gracious teachers. Mr. Bob Dean and Mr Peter Bialecki are my mentors. Both of these fine gentlemen are avid live steam builders and master machinists. Now about my locomotive choice, I was fortunate to acquire various components and castings over the years which left me with:

* Bob Dean water jet Pacific frames.
* Little Engines rear cradle and Delta trailing truck castings
* Spokes driver castings
* Roger Goldman Baker valve gear
* Roger Goldman cylinder castings with Alligator style cross heads

Now this presented a bit of a dilemma. There really weren't that many Pacifics with the Delta-Spoked-Baker-Alligator combination. But then I stumbled on this beauty: Boston & Albany K6b pacific. These finally ended up on the P&LE at the end of their career.
Attachments
ba595.jpg
Last edited by BobbyT on Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BobbyT

Re: Boston & Albany K6b Pacific

Post by BobbyT »

The NYCSHS had the drawings for this which really makes life easier.

The cylinder casting I have came on a LE style built up frame. But since I already had the water jet cut frames I decided to make the switch. The primary reasoning is that each driver set can be removed individually if the need ever arises whereas the built-up frame is a lot more complicated.

First step was to true up the journal openings locate the cross head bracket mounts.

Fair Warning: I have been a train nut for over 40 years yet I still can't remember all the proper names of the parts so if terms like "thing-a-ma-bog" and "doohicky" offend you, then this is not the build log for you. :wink:
Attachments
K6b frame.jpg
Last edited by BobbyT on Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BobbyT

Post by BobbyT »

The next project was to work on the rear cradle. Clean up, square up and mill the end to fit the rear of the frame rails.

Here is Bob Dean doing the milling.
Attachments
RDeanmachingcradle.jpg
Last edited by BobbyT on Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BobbyT

Post by BobbyT »

Bob and I were discussing the cradle angle. The LE cradle casting I have is fairly flat yet the prototype is at an angle. As we held in over the the drawing (which plot out to approx 1.55 scale) we noticed the prototype was designed differently altogether. So Bob Dean with great enthusiasm cut my cradle up and re-welded the aluminum.
Attachments
modified cradle 2.jpg
BobbyT

Post by BobbyT »

another view:

It comes out of the main frame straight then angles up part way before leveling out again.
Attachments
modified cradle 1.jpg
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

Looking forward to following the build!
BobbyT wrote:Fair Warning: I have been a train nut for over 40 years yet I still can't remember all the proper names of the parts so if terms like "thing-a-ma-bog" and "doohicky" offend you, then this is not the build log for you. :wink:
A picture is worth a thousand words, so as long as you have a picture of the thing-a-am-jigger, it don't matter what you call it!
hwboivin3

Post by hwboivin3 »

And a very nice looking pacific to model. I will enjoy watching the progress.
Andypullen

Post by Andypullen »

hwboivin3 wrote:And a very nice looking pacific to model. I will enjoy watching the progress.
Very beefy looking....good choice Bob!

Andy
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw, Hardinge HSL speed lathe, Hardinge HC chucker, Kearney and Trecker #2K plain horizontal mill, Haas TL-1 lathe.
KidAmato

Post by KidAmato »

Sir,
I wish you the best of luck and I look forward to observing your progress on this build. Nice choice in Hudson's to model by the way, very beefy indeed.

Best Wishes,
Nico A.
7-1/2” gauge 5” scale 2-4-4t
7-1/2” gauge Fitchburg Northern
4-3/4” gauge 1.5” scale 0-4-4t
BobbyT

Post by BobbyT »

Did a little more work on the rear cradle this weekend.
Attachments
cradle061414b.jpg
BobbyT

Post by BobbyT »

Cradle mounted to frame.

I appreciate all the encouragement.
Attachments
cradle061414a.jpg
Slipped Eccentric

Post by Slipped Eccentric »

Lookin' good Bobby! Must feel great to finally dive into this.

Justin