McCormick Railway Park Museum machine shop

In this forum, users are encouraged to share great places to see in their area. Please be sure to list Name of the venue, City & State, Operating hours, a review and a web link if possible. The intent is so that those planning a trip or visiting your area might be interested in visiting! Pictures of the venue are also welcome.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Glenn Brooks

McCormick Railway Park Museum machine shop

Post by Glenn Brooks »

If you wise want to see the most perfectly arranged and spacious 12' x 12', one man machine shop - make a trip out to the McCormic-Spillman Railroad Park in Scottsdale, Arizona, a superb of Phoenix. Just visited today, to ride the City owned 15" gauge Paradise and Pacific Railroad, but while there discovered the Park's amazing little museum. The museum includes a restored, yet original, 1930's era, belt-driven, machine shop- originally owned and operated by Walter Lee 'Gabe' Brooks, on his Powderhorn Ranch out in the desert near Phoenix. Gabe's shop includes a 1925ish 12"x48" southbend lathe, a 10" camelback drill press, 10" grinder, power hacksaw, horizontal mill, shaper, and a shop built sheet metal cutter- EVERYTHING BELT DRIVEN FROM AN OVERHEAD BELT SYSTEM - including the little 16" power hacksaw.

Oh yes, Gabe's round overhead lights are hung on a rope pulley system with lead weights on the end. You want more light on the work area - reach up and pull down the lamp shade. The weight on the end of the line goes up in the air towards the pulley mounted in the rafters and suspends the lamp shade exactly where you want it.

Also included in this 144 square foot space is a slanted plans/drafting table, and 8' long work bench, and tooling for all the machinery.

Soon as I get home, Iam gonna rip my shop apart and build me some clear grain 4x4 fir work tables to put together a 12' x 12' workshop space! Maybe even cover my sterile off white Sheetrock walls with some honest rough sawn 4" fir boards. Here are some pics... all in less than 144 square feet! fantastic!!
Gabe's 12' x12' machine shop
Gabe's 12' x12' machine shop
Side view of building. 1900 Pullman baggage car in background
Side view of building. 1900 Pullman baggage car in background
Grinder and SB lathe on the left.  Draftsman table in the back last corner.  Notice face plates and extra chuck vertically mounted on the lathe bench next to the headstock
Grinder and SB lathe on the left. Draftsman table in the back last corner. Notice face plates and extra chuck vertically mounted on the lathe bench next to the headstock
10" camelback drill press in center of shop. Drill bits on racks behind.
10" camelback drill press in center of shop. Drill bits on racks behind.
Shaper and Benchmaster Horizontal mill on the right wall.  8' workbench and more tooling on back wall
Shaper and Benchmaster Horizontal mill on the right wall. 8' workbench and more tooling on back wall
Shop made 1" OD vertical cutter, power hacksaw underneath.  Wall mounted on front wall
Shop made 1" OD vertical cutter, power hacksaw underneath. Wall mounted on front wall
IMG_1358.JPG (49.57 KiB) Viewed 28440 times
Overhead belt drive system for pedestal grinder
Overhead belt drive system for pedestal grinder
Grinder detail - now I know what my old, unknown, spare, dusty,  center spindle fixture is for - a belt driven grinder!
Grinder detail - now I know what my old, unknown, spare, dusty, center spindle fixture is for - a belt driven grinder!
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
10KPete

Re: McCormick Railway Park Museum machine shop

Post by 10KPete »

By golly I like that set-up!! What a neat little shop. Thanks for the post Glenn!

Pete
Just tryin'
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Brilliant set up!
Use wisely what you've got.
~RN
JackF

Post by JackF »

It does make one wonder why a 30x40 shop is too small. :roll: I need to make another attempt at organizing. :roll: :wink: :lol:

Jack.
OSUMiner

Post by OSUMiner »

My all time favorite railroad park!!
AJC

Post by AJC »

This is a picture of my half-sister with her great grandfather Gabe in Scottsdale Arizona.
Attachments
Picture of Gabe and his grandaughter
Picture of Gabe and his grandaughter
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Only thing missing from that shop is an old steam engine to run the line shaft. :D
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

AJC wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:42 am This is a picture of my half-sister with her great grandfather Gabe in Scottsdale Arizona.
When was that photo taken?
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
AJC

Post by AJC »

1963 - 1964
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

that's a new exhibit since I was last there. I've also been through the railroad shops for the 15" gauge. A lot of Bill Daney treasure hidden back there.
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
Loco112

Post by Loco112 »

That small belt driven shop has been sitting there gathering dust since I visited the Scottsdale crew of a week in 1988.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

When we visited last, I asked why they don’t maintain the equipment. At least clean up and oil once in a while. Apparently they moved this shop to its current location sometime in the past. Prior to the move, one of the volunteers did regularly clean and oil all the machines. Kept everything in working order. After the move, either they told him to stop, or he somehow no longer participated in the museum/railroading docent activities. Since then, no one has kept up with the maintenance.

One saving grace, at least, is the dry desert climate isn’t at all conducive to oxidation.

We will be visiting again next month. I’ll ask about why they don’t at least oil the ways once in a while.

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....