Monitor for Acad

Related to all sorts of CAD and CAM tools. Users should post questions, comments, and recommendations with respect to their favorite CAD and CAM tools.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Harold_V

Re: Monitor for Acad

Post by Harold_V »

Thanks, Jon W for those comments. That should help when the day comes. What little I used 10 was with a tablet, template and puck. That sure makes it easier.

BDD----thanks. I'm likely to stick with ACAD, if for no other reason, it's the devil I know, although not well.

Bill: Patio, one of our readers, uses Fusion and has become quite comfortable with it. It would be an option for me should I decide to venture beyond 2D drawings. He claims it's dead easy to extract such prints.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

I just use an old school drafting table with "drafting machine". Much faster than computer layout for the stuff I do...

As others have said, as long as the inputs are available, you can use a "TV" as a monitor. And they make ridiculously large monitors now, but I find multiples of more modest sized monitors to be superior to one massive monitor. The larger examples of more budget priced monitors are so long that they exhibit significant view angle issues when seated front and center. But avoiding that, it's really about resolution and saturation relative to display area.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

4 each 32" monitors that I use cost under $200 each.

As much as I liked old ACAD, I have found fusion easy to use....but still drop back to acad for somethings...old habits and all that...I still have my old acad 8" floppy. I started using when they introduced dimensioning.

Since autodesk is doing no more development on the product, eventually will come a time when Microsoft does something that will make it tough to run.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Tried Fusion for a while and went right back to AutoCad.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

It is a different mindset but worth the investment 8n time.

Similar to solidworks, Dassault and others
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

I have been using Acad 2004 for 15 years now. I have gotten so familiar with it that I can't imagine switching to a different CAD. It does what I use it for and never had a problem using it. It was the industry standard and might still be. Certainly, it has its quirks, but you learn to work around them. With Acad, there are many ways to "skin a cat". It suits my needs for developing prints for my projects. I have a 29" monitor, but the aspect ratio won't let me display a circle as a circle, something my old monitor let me do.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

I'm still using 2004 as well, and for the same reason!
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

GlennW wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:07 am I'm still using 2004 as well, and for the same reason!
Glenn, Is there a way that I can change the aspect ratio of my wide screen monitor so circles appear on the screen as circles and not ovals?
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

I have no idea, as I have never experienced that.

It may be the screen resolution. I use pretty high resolution to where text such as this forum appears quite small. My monitor at home is 21" and at work it's 24" or larger.
Glenn

Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Look at the resolutions acad 2004 and the video card support and set the monitor accordingly.
rmac

Post by rmac »

Mr. Ron wrote: Is there a way that I can change the aspect ratio of my wide screen monitor so circles appear on the screen as circles and not ovals?
The aspect ratio of the monitor is fixed by its physical construction. Your video card needs to be set to a resolution that matches the monitor's aspect ratio. And maybe (as Bill hints) you also have to set something in ACAD to match as well. I don't use ACAD, so I'm no help there.

-- Russ
pat1027

Post by pat1027 »

BigDumbDinosaur wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:08 amPeople still use AutoCad??? :shock:
Every day. We have two solid modeling applications depending if it is a machine or structural project. Any 2D output goes through Autocad. Electrical guys are Autocad or E-Plan.
Mr. Ron wrote: Is there a way that I can change the aspect ratio of my wide screen monitor so circles appear on the screen as circles and not ovals?
Check your display resolution in Windows settings. You might be mis-matched between Windows and the monitor.