Show your Park Gauge train

Discuss park gauge trains and large scale miniature railways having track gauges from 8" to 24" gauge and designed at scales of 2" to the foot or greater - whether modeled for personal use, or purpose built for amusement park operation or private railroading.

Moderators: Glenn Brooks, Harold_V

Forum rules
Topics may include: antique park gauge train restoration, preservation, and history; building new grand scale equipment from scratch; large scale miniature railway construction, maintenance, and safe operation; fallen flags; track, gauge, and equipment standards; grand scale vendor offerings; and, compiling an on-line motive power roster.
Glenn Brooks

Re: Show your Park Gauge train

Post by Glenn Brooks »

John, I have the same problem with photo size. I use my iPhone for most photos and have not found a way to set camera size. So, I usually take a series of photos with the iPhone, then email them to myself. This usually brings up a photo resizing window, which allows me to select small or 'medium' size prior to sending. I almost always select 'medium'. Once the photos arrive in email folder, I save to my iPad and load them up into the forum.

This sounds like a laborious process. But really isn't to bad.

There are some excellent photo editing programs on windows laptops, but since retiring, never open my laptop- so stay with the iPad workaround...

Hope this helps.

Very happy to see you contributing to the grand scale forum. We have a pretty good network of large scale folk that have extensive contacts outside of Chaski. So usually possible to ask a question and get,in touch with someone whom can help out with technical detail or locomotive history.

Regards
Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

John Landrum wrote:
Harold_V wrote:
John Landrum wrote:Well. until I figure out how to resize the file to get below the miniscule 2.0MB limit that is about all I can post
Hmmm. Miniscule 2.0 MB?
Do you understand that a picture with respectable clarity can be posted 1024 x 768 that is only 100 kb in size? I've seen them even smaller, and very acceptable in clarity.

One thing all readers need to keep in mind. There are folks who don't have high speed connections. For them, a 2 MB picture spells failure of their ability to read that particular thread. Make your pictures no larger in file size than is necessary if you hope to have all readers enjoy your contributions.

Harold
My problem Harold, is that my camera does not take small pictures and I am not yet familiar enough with it and the site to post them at a smaller size. With advise and patience I can figure this thing out though!
Not a problem, John. We all had to learn these things, and it's harder for some of us (like me) than others.
There's a very good program that is at one's disposal, and for free. It's the program I used to use daily, to resize pictures that had been posted too large. We have since allowed the software to deal with the issue, and we've also relaxed the size limitations, as newer monitors are more forgiving of text spread, so I don't use it as much as I once did, but I recommend it highly.

If you care to explore, the program in question is IrfanView. http://www.irfanview.com/main_download_engl.htm

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

John Landrum wrote:I was aware of the one in Detroit that is stuffed and mounted and I would love to see Mr. Franks engine. Is he a member of this forum? Also, I had never heard of Chrysler doing anything to any Cagney's, I would like to know more about these engines as well.

John
Hi John;
The Detroit Zoo web pages show a little about the railroad here. https://detroitzoo.org/visit/zoo-attrac ... -railroad/

And pictures here: https://www.google.com/search?q=Detroit ... 56&bih=445

Dick Franks is not on this list. He is a campground owner and the miniature railroad is just an attraction there.

Keith
RussellCofIdaho

Post by RussellCofIdaho »

Glenn Brooks wrote:John, I have the same problem with photo size. I use my iPhone for most photos and have not found a way to set camera size. So, I usually take a series of photos with the iPhone, then email them to myself. This usually brings up a photo resizing window, which allows me to select small or 'medium' size prior to sending. I almost always select 'medium'. Once the photos arrive in email folder, I save to my iPad and load them up into the forum.

This sounds like a laborious process. But really isn't to bad.
I use the free app Reduce on the iPhone and it works great.
Russell Courtenay
Idaho - USA
unknownidaho.wordpress.com
Big trains and big dreams...
John Landrum

Post by John Landrum »

Ok, think I've outsmarted the photo size thing!  Here is a new steel trestle I am building on the Crystal River and Tincup.
Ok, think I've outsmarted the photo size thing! Here is a new steel trestle I am building on the Crystal River and Tincup.
John Landrum

Post by John Landrum »

Resized picture of Cinder belle
Resized picture of Cinder belle
John Landrum

Post by John Landrum »

Ok, that was a royal pain in the rear but it can be done!
John Landrum

Post by John Landrum »

Glen, thanks for the advice. I have reduced the image on my camera so it will no longer make pictures that are too large and I have found a program to reduce the photos I have taken so they will fit. Honestly, I realize 2MB is good sized but every new iteration of cameras seems to take ever larger file size photos. Glad to hear there are technical types to lean on in the forum. I have been doing this for most of my life now but the steam project is a new venture and will have its own issues so I will be happy to get help from anyone who wants to offer it.
John Landrum

Post by John Landrum »

Ok, one rumor put to rest. I was in touch with the owner of the campground in Pennsylvania that reputedly had a gasoline Cagney running through it. Here is what his assistant sent me:

Hi John,
Lee wanted you to know that the mini trains we have are not Cagney.
Our in an Industrial Railway and Locomotive Works powered by a Ford Gas
Engine. If you would like we can email you some pictures we can do that
or if you have any questions, please let us know.

Thank you,
Carrie

I watched video of the train and was immediately certain it was not a Cagney as it consisted of a boiler on two trucks with some sort of drive shaft between them and the motor. looked something like a shay only more crude.

John
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

John Landrum wrote:Ok, one rumor put to rest. I was in touch with the owner of the campground in Pennsylvania that reputedly had a gasoline Cagney running through it. Here is what his assistant sent me:

Hi John,

Thank you,
Carrie

I watched video of the train and was immediately certain it was not a Cagney as it consisted of a boiler on two trucks with some sort of drive shaft between them and the motor. looked something like a shay only more crude.

John
That train that you describe is not the 18" Cagney that had been there. Also the "Cagney" steam outline Pacifics were supplied to them by the Industrial Railway and Locomotive Work and were all powered by a Ford engine. They are the same thing.
The locomotives that IR&L built were Pacifics. They were built by the Walden Iron Works and were designed by Peter McGarigle Col. Timothy Cagney's brother-in-law and assembled by Robert Parr and employee of the Cagney brothers. I.R.& L. was a firm that employed Charles Lincoln Cagney.....Timothy Cagney's son. So they are all connected.
Keith
RussellCofIdaho

Post by RussellCofIdaho »

Is this engine, on display at the Detroit Zoo a gas powered Cagney? Nice looking engine, much better proportioned that the steam Cagneys, I think.
IMG_8810.JPG
Russell Courtenay
Idaho - USA
unknownidaho.wordpress.com
Big trains and big dreams...
John Landrum

Post by John Landrum »

LVRR2095 wrote:
John Landrum wrote:Ok, one rumor put to rest. I was in touch with the owner of the campground in Pennsylvania that reputedly had a gasoline Cagney running through it. Here is what his assistant sent me:

Hi John,

Thank you,
Carrie

John
That train that you describe is not the 18" Cagney that had been there. Also the "Cagney" steam outline Pacifics were supplied to them by the Industrial Railway and Locomotive Work and were all powered by a Ford engine. They are the same thing.
The locomotives that IR&L built were Pacifics. They were built by the Walden Iron Works and were designed by Peter McGarigle Col. Timothy Cagney's brother-in-law and assembled by Robert Parr and employee of the Cagney brothers. I.R.& L. was a firm that employed Charles Lincoln Cagney.....Timothy Cagney's son. So they are all connected.
Keith
Yes Keith, you are correct and when my brain caught up with what I was reading it occurred to me that IR&L was one of the names under which the Cagney 18" gauge engines were produced. Indeed, Cinder Belle originally carried a IR&L plate tucked away inside her cab although the Cagney builders plates were on her smoke box and gave the New Jersey address for the firm. I may have to take the young lady up on her offer of photos after all. By the way, mine came with a Chevrolet engine and was built in 1922 so may have been one of the earlier iterations.
John