Grand Scale Suppliers

Discuss park gauge trains and large scale miniature railways having track gauges from 8" to 24" gauge and designed at scales of 2" to the foot or greater - whether modeled for personal use, or purpose built for amusement park operation or private railroading.

Moderators: Glenn Brooks, Harold_V

Forum rules
Topics may include: antique park gauge train restoration, preservation, and history; building new grand scale equipment from scratch; large scale miniature railway construction, maintenance, and safe operation; fallen flags; track, gauge, and equipment standards; grand scale vendor offerings; and, compiling an on-line motive power roster.
LIALLEGHENY

Grand Scale Suppliers

Post by LIALLEGHENY »

Anyone know of any suppliers offering castings for Grand Scale steam, in particular 3" to the foot? Drivers, lead and trailing trucks, cylinders, etc. I'm not getting any younger, so it's time to start building a loco. Probably going to be a Berkshire or Hudson, although the Hudson has been done already. Most parts will probably be built up weldments, but was curious if anything was available on the market.

Thanks,

Nyle
Fred_V

Re: Grand Scale Suppliers

Post by Fred_V »

There aren't any parts available in 3" scale. 2 1/2" scale is for a 3 ft. ga. prototype and 3 3/4" scale is for a 2 ft ga. prototype. Tom Artzberger has castings and drawings for a number of 2 1/2" scale Denver Rio Grand engines.
http://tacllc.biz/
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
jessebanning

Post by jessebanning »

I am assuming 3" scale 15" gauge?
www.banninglocomotiveworks.com

www.littleengines.com
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

He didn't specify and many guys call 2 1/2" Grand scale. If that's what he wants he is on the wrong forum.
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
Soot n' Cinders

Post by Soot n' Cinders »

Hilcrest Shops is one, although they do more 5" scale 15" gauge. The Arbourway TT & Northwestern may sell some parts as may the Whiskey River Railroad. If not, they can probably tell you where they get their parts
-Tristan

Projects
-2.5" scale Class A 20 Ton Shay

Steam Siphon: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/leavitt ... tive-works
LIALLEGHENY

Post by LIALLEGHENY »

Yes 3" scale 15" gauge. Fred V, If this is the wrong forum do you have any suggestions for the correct forum? I am part of the Yahoo groups Grand Scales which has very little activity, which is why I posted the question here. Personally I feel Home Machinist is he best group on the net. If I'm looking for answers , or information this is where I go.

Nyle
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

:P Hi Nyle,

Welcome! There really isn't a designated grand scale forum on Chaski, (unfortunately :( ) as there are many more " riding scale" enthusiasts than grand scale folk.

Note: this post was in October, 2016. Since then of course, Chaski has published this 'GrandScale ' forum' for steam and internal combustion railroading, of any gauge Larger than 7.x, and scales of 2 1/2" and larger. Gpb

However There are plenty of knowledgable people here who will be happy to help with any questions that may arise. Also, there are a number of individual grand scale threads that you can search, should some technical issue come up that you need a quick answer. Lots of 7 1/2" scale techniques are ideally suited to 15" work, just the part dimensions are different. Sometimes only by a factor of 2x. 2 1/2" scale couplers for example work well enuf for 3" scale to be interchangeable - particularly as no known person produces 3" couplers any more...

As FYI, recently Harold mentioned he could possibly establish a grand scale sub forum in the future, if demand reachs a critical mass. So far, not enuf people are working in grand scale to merit separating from the Live Steam and Railroading fora.

But, still Chaski is a great place to be- maybe the best RRing and hobby machinist site on the web. Look forward to following your build!

Regards
Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Rob Gardner

Post by Rob Gardner »

Is there a cost out of pocket to create a sub-forum? I think there would be a nice following if Harold could create a sub-forum and see what happens over a 90 day probationary period. Harold?

Many live Steamers have been or are involved in 12" gauge and larger railroading.

Rob Gardner
765nkp

Post by 765nkp »

The Redwood Valley Railroad use to sell some castings for 3"/ 15"GA. I don't know if they still do? I thought about building one of the 0-4-0's that they had castings for, but that was probably 10yrs ago. It might be a place to start?
You could also contact Mike Weldon of the Ozark Lives Steamers, he is building a huge Santa Fe Northern in15"GA. I believe he still has the driver patterns. 20" drivers, pretty much everything else is fabricated which you might find would be easier than making patterns for castings.
Mike is a great guy, I am sure he wouldn't mind talking to you at least.

Good luck
Tim
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Rob Gardner wrote:Is there a cost out of pocket to create a sub-forum? I think there would be a nice following if Harold could create a sub-forum and see what happens over a 90 day probationary period. Harold?

Many live Steamers have been or are involved in 12" gauge and larger railroading.

Rob Gardner
I'm thinking about the title of the proposed forum. "Grand Scale, including anything larger than 7½" gauge". How does that sound?
Would you folks like it to be steam exclusively, or to include other methods of propulsion? Any other criteria you may wish to see enforced?

Provide more information then I'll inquire of Marty to see if he feels it would be justified. I'm willing, but while I can create the new forum, I don't make those decisions, as I am not the board administrator.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
LIALLEGHENY

Post by LIALLEGHENY »

Thank you everyone for the info so far and the possible leads.

Harold, my thoughts would be anything over 7-1/2" up to 24" but not including. The http://forum.wwfry.org/ has anything 24" and bigger covered pretty well. Although I prefer steam, I'm not against including diesel, park trains or anything else.

Nyle
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Thanks, Nyle. So then, Grand Scale 8" to 24" Gauge.

All methods of propulsion included.

Anyone else have anything to offer before I discuss this with Marty?

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.