Grand Scale Suppliers

Discuss park gauge trains and large scale miniature railways having track gauges from 8" to 24" gauge and designed at scales of 2" to the foot or greater - whether modeled for personal use, or purpose built for amusement park operation or private railroading.

Moderators: Glenn Brooks, Harold_V

Forum rules
Topics may include: antique park gauge train restoration, preservation, and history; building new grand scale equipment from scratch; large scale miniature railway construction, maintenance, and safe operation; fallen flags; track, gauge, and equipment standards; grand scale vendor offerings; and, compiling an on-line motive power roster.
Harold_V

Re: Grand Scale Suppliers

Post by Harold_V »

I have requested a review by Marty, to see how he feels about providing the new sub-forum. I will respect his choice.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

Harold_V wrote:Thanks, Nyle. So then, Grand Scale 8" to 24" Gauge.

All methods of propulsion included.

Anyone else have anything to offer before I discuss this with Marty?

Harold
I like the proposal as is. I am starting a 15" project soon and it would be fun to post about that there.
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
Steve Alley

Post by Steve Alley »

april 26 ocls trains001_edited.jpg
Allen Models is adding to it web sit a New Engine casting set. This is a 3 3/4" scale for 7 1/2" rail. Also can be built as a 15" gauge engines also. I have had these castings and patterns for 5 years and have sold casting now and then. So we are going to introduce this at a special price for the first two casting sets. There is 1100 lbs in 109 castings that makes this set for a 2-6-2 engine. Sale Price is $6,000 for the first two casting set. Then what the new foundry prices will determine the new price levels. At 6,000 for 1100 lbs is less than $5.50 per pound. The shipping of these are to be determine to the end address needed.
This Model has been around sense the 80's. The plans for this engine is in Live steam Mag articular dates, Jan 1977 thou March of 1980 Don Young was the Builder of this and Live steam ran these in both the Mini and Maxie Locomotives. Village Press, Live Steam & Outdoor Railroading has these to buy. I have the Maxie castings. These patterns where done by Ken Schroder in Nevada. He has built one of these engines. I have finish a engine 10 years ago that we believe came from the original casting by C A Streets and later Power Models. Those patterns are lost due to a fire. Little Engines has the air compressor casting for this. It use a 14" dia boiler. So make sure in your state it Ok.
Cylinder is 4" X 5" with 11" drivers and outside Counter weights. Also The Lucky Number 7 is what the drawing make. Its a 2-4-4 Rangley Lakes Loco. 2 Ft. gauge scale to 3 3/4" on 7 1/2" track. Its big. I don't think there is a bigger Locomotive in this Hobby.

Steve Alley
Allen Models of Nevada, LLC
Attachments
IMG_1544.JPG
IMG_0391.jpg
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

I have some car detail parts available in 3" scale, such as hand brake wheels, boxcar door trolleys, door stops, rachet and pawls, brake drum stirrups, etc. I need to update my shapeways site, and then I'll post the link. They now support multiple scales with one product listing, so it will be easier to navigate the store.

Also, regarding 3" scale for 7.5" gauge, YES IT EXISTS. I model 3" scale in 7.5" gauge, which comes out to exactly 30" gauge prototype. 30" gauge was a not-uncommon industrial gauge used in various places all over the world including sugar plantations in Hawaii. A few other friends are also building in the same scale. No there are not a lot of suppliers for that particular scale, so I make everything myself or in some instances use 2.5" scale parts (for trucks and couplers primarily, but also stake pockets and other items which varied widely in size in prototype anyhow)

In any case, scale is scale, and the parts will work with any gauge you choose.

We also have a one of a kind 9" gauge, 3" scale railroad here in California (1/4" scale of 36" gauge exactly) with a D&RG 268 and a freelance mogul made from the same casting set. We have most of the patterns but as the demand is small it would be costly to produce a one-off set at this point.

If you are thinking of 15" gauge I would go with Steve Alley's more substantial Maxi-7 castings which are 3 3/4" scale, as seen above. We're working to get them added to the website along with other new offerings this fall. The drawings are available as a book from Village Press, and could be adapted to an inside frame engine for larger gauges.
Last edited by Harlock on Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

LIALLEGHENY wrote:Having read Keith and Greg's views on the idea of a sub-forum I can't say that I disagree.

I've been giving a lot of thought as to why there isn't more information or discussion about the grand Scales on the internet. My conclusions are as follows; 1) Yes, the cost is more than many can afford. 2) The shear size and weight can be problematic for most people . Not only do you need bigger machines with which to build your project, but there is also the issue with transporting the larger gauges. 3) There aren't many clubs out there with which to run the larger scales as compared to the smaller scales. 4) A good portion of the Grand Scales equipment is for commercial purposes, Park trains , etc, The builders/suppliers of that equipment may not necessarily be interested in sharing their "secrets" or photos of their builds or any other info as they are running a "commercial" business that targets other businesses.

Considering the fact that this site is the" Home" Machinist and is geared towards those of us building out of our house, basement or garage or hut, I guess it would make sense to just carry on as usual .

However It would be nice to see some Grand Scales once and a while.
Just my 2 cents!

Nyle
it is indeed a more rarefied section of the hobby. I will tell you though that there is a hotbed of activity here in California for 5" scale, 15" gauge railroading, representing 3-foot narrow gauge. Erich Thompsen, Bill Daney and Jim Holmes & his associates pioneered this gauge and scale and it is carried on today at the Redwood Valley Railway, Hillcrest & Wahoke, Joshua Tree & Southern and several other remarkable private railways.

If you are on Facebook, you might ask to join the "15" railroading" closed group. A lot of those people are on there. There is also an 18" gauge Yahoo Group that is still active if you are into that.

-Mike
RussellCofIdaho

Post by RussellCofIdaho »

Just a couple links from my collection:

http://www.grandscaleparts.com Have a nice selection of parts in 3 3/4" and 5" scales including some cast iron 'utility wheels' for a pretty reasonable price.

http://hillcrestreedley.com Hillcrest Shops in Reedley, CA. nice professional builders of 5" scale equipment, when we visited in 2004 they had just received a fresh pallet of steel couplers from a foundry and they were beautiful in gleaming silver! They were working on an order of several locomotives for a private 15" gauge railroad.

https://www.ez2rail.com Kimes Rail. new rail, small wheels and track parts supplier. These are new, high quality commercial parts, expect prices to match.

http://www.nelsonmachinery.com New and used mine equipment in British Columbia, Canada

Mammoth Locomotive Works, who used to manufacture the Winton Mogul in 15" and 24" gauge seems to be gone...

http://www.wrrc.us Wasatch Railroad Contractors in Wyoming. Build and restore 15" gauge Cagneys and other trains up to and including full size.

http://www.constructionequipmentcompany.com Construction Equipment Company. A possible source for wheels, rail and other parts.

http://livesteamcalibration.ieasysite.com A&K Locomotive and Steam Supply, makers of fittings and gauges.

Merrick Light Railway Equipment Works website is down but I believe they are still in operation....

Some of these are from my own 20 year old collection of links, many are from the 18inch group on Yahoo. The link section was mostly build by Olin A., but many of the links have now gone dead. I have been able to access much of the original information (but not the attached files) via http://www.archive.org.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/18inch/links/all The 18inch group links section is only available to members but I am a moderator and would be glad to admit you if your interest is legitimate, and I have met few who's interest is not!
Russell Courtenay
Idaho - USA
unknownidaho.wordpress.com
Big trains and big dreams...
Ken Schroeder

Post by Ken Schroeder »

I have two 3 3/4" scale dummy Sunbeam generators available at $350.00 each plus UPS flat rate shipping. These are assembled units. I have taken several of these and made them operating units by making a turbine when and using a nog cogging DC motor (slot car) as the generator unit. If any one is interested contact me at shaylocomotives@charter.net.
Attachments
100_1335.jpg
100_1337.jpg
trivettj

Post by trivettj »

I would like one of the generators please.
Loco112

Post by Loco112 »

Mammoth still has their web page up. Has it not been up, or have they not responded to inquiries lately?

Mammoth has the Winton line and lots of the Grand scale parts. The Winton steam driven air Pumps always looked the most prototypical of all the air pumps.

Has anyone built a Winton grand scale pump in 3", 5" or 8" ? Mammoth had them in all the scales, even the little ones.

The Old Winton Catalog was posted to the Mammoth site a few years ago. That is a must read for any aspiring grand scale builder.

http://mammothlocomotiveworks.com/Home_Page.html

Let us know if they don't respond.
RussellCofIdaho

Post by RussellCofIdaho »

Loco112 wrote:Mammoth still has their web page up. Has it not been up, or have they not responded to inquiries lately?

http://mammothlocomotiveworks.com/Home_Page.html

Let us know if they don't respond.
This is the first time in YEARS that the Mammoth Loco site has worked for me! Not a lot there but some nice videos of a 15" train I had never heard of. The loco looks like a nice size. I sent for a price list.
Russell Courtenay
Idaho - USA
unknownidaho.wordpress.com
Big trains and big dreams...
Mountaineer

Post by Mountaineer »

Steve @ Allen Locos, I'm not interested in castings for your large scale 2-6-2 but am interested in drawings. Do you offer a set of drawings that are based on SR+RL #24 for your 2-6-2 model?

Thanks for info,
Mountaineer.
Steve Alley

Post by Steve Alley »

There is a Live Steam article In Feb 1987 on the side and front elevation drawing, It was by Jean Villette. Find this article or go to Village Press and they can supply this for you. call 1800-447-7367 www.homeshopmachinist.net Steve Alley