Grand Scale

Discuss park gauge trains and large scale miniature railways having track gauges from 8" to 24" gauge and designed at scales of 2" to the foot or greater - whether modeled for personal use, or purpose built for amusement park operation or private railroading.

Moderators: Glenn Brooks, Harold_V

Forum rules
Topics may include: antique park gauge train restoration, preservation, and history; building new grand scale equipment from scratch; large scale miniature railway construction, maintenance, and safe operation; fallen flags; track, gauge, and equipment standards; grand scale vendor offerings; and, compiling an on-line motive power roster.
STRR

Grand Scale

Post by STRR »

It was mentioned in another thread, this forum was not the place for Grand Scale interests. Another post was made referring to there might be a Grand Scale sub heading if there were enough people interested.

Just how many Grand Scale people are there on this forum???

I'm ONE.

Who else?

Terry Miller
FLSTEAM

Re: Grand Scale

Post by FLSTEAM »

I was in 15" ga. when I started on this forum. I am still here however I have switched to 2.5" scale.

John B
Loco112

Post by Loco112 »

Me. Grand scaler, Narrow Gauger, rivet counter.
Rob Gardner

Post by Rob Gardner »

I think that's an excellent idea. "Grand Scale" is a much closer cousin to the rest of Live Steam than any other segment of railroading. I can't hardly find much discussion anywhere else except a Yahoo Group that is rather dead most of the time. I think this would be a MOST excellent idea.

Rob Gardner
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Yep, me to. 12" gauge mostly.

I'd love to see a grand scLe forum, bit agree with Harold that there should be sufficient participation to set it up. A few months ago I posted a " show me your Park Guage Train" thread on the Railroading forum. It only got limited input for a long time. Generally speaking, modeling in any scale/Guage up to 24" Guage has traditionally been considered "miniature Railroading" with live steam. So unless we get a grand scale forum, this 'live steam' page is it. Different scales, same thing.

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
LIALLEGHENY

Post by LIALLEGHENY »

I'd be all for a Grand Scale forum as well. Like Rob said, the Yahoo group is pretty much dead, and I have yet to come across any other groups.

Nyle
STRR

Post by STRR »

Harold,

Thank you for considering a Grand Scale sub forum. BUT, thus far, there appears to be only 6 of us. Hardly enough to justify a complete sub forum.

Now you know why the Yahoo Grand Scale forum is so silent. Include Park Trains, MTC, and just about every other large scale forum. Just doesn't seem to be a large interest there. I believe it's due to the high expense involved in these railroads.

We'll see how many more post in this thread.

Thank You All,
Terry
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

I've been thinking about this lack of activity. Seems like a self fulfilling professy - no forum/networking site, therefore no interest. The larger scales have always been problematic regards money and cost. However, Chaski sure would be a great place to centralize Grand Scale interest. - e.g. Have one central location where owners, vendors etc, could reach out to other Park Guage people.

Maybe we can develop this thread , or the Park Guage thread for awhile to see if there is enuf interest to develop a Sub forum?

If all the grand scale posts were condensed into one thread it certainly would be a good resource.

Glenn

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

STRR

Post by STRR »

Well Gentlemen, it's been a week and only 6 of us showed up. Pretty well defines the Grand Scale interest here. Hardly enough to justify a complete sub forum.

Sorry,
Terry Miller
JR May

Post by JR May »

I didn't even see this topic until tonight and I check a couple of times a day. Geez.

So, add me to the roster here with a 15" gauge 1907 4-4-0 Herschell.

I have found quite a bit of activity in large scale via several FB pages and yahoo. I am not a fan of yahoo at this point.

It would be nice to have such a topic area as it may grow into something via Chaski.

JR May
Wall, NJ
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Hi JR. Glad you caught up with this one.. there is sort of a companion thread on this forum a few lines down entitled Grand Scale Suppliers that has some discussion relating to a Grand Scale/Park Gauge forum also. Might be interesting to you.

So All - good news of sorts - Marty has tenativelly approved setting up a Park Guage/Grand Scale forum page to support Park Gauge folk (12" to 24" gauge railroading). I offered to help moderate the forum to lessen the administrative burden on Harold and Marty.

While there are only a small number of people who currently responded to this thread, generally we know there are around 1000 or more Park Gauge locomotives still in existence in North America, and many more Live Steamers starting to build in the larger scales 2.5" and even up to 3 3/4" in 7 1/2" gauge. A companion thread over in the Railroading forum entitled "show us your Park Gauge Train" has 57 replies and around 3000 hits from members - so am hoping the new forum can assist Park Gauge owners and others interested in the larger scales better network and become better represented in the broader live steam community.

More to come!

Regards
Glenn

JR May

Post by JR May »

Can I suggest that it start at 9" gauge? Yes, I have a reason to suggest it. I'm thinking the Becker C&S RR which ran here in NJ.
JR