Grand Scale

Discuss park gauge trains and large scale miniature railways having track gauges from 8" to 24" gauge and designed at scales of 2" to the foot or greater - whether modeled for personal use, or purpose built for amusement park operation or private railroading.

Moderators: Glenn Brooks, Harold_V

Forum rules
Topics may include: antique park gauge train restoration, preservation, and history; building new grand scale equipment from scratch; large scale miniature railway construction, maintenance, and safe operation; fallen flags; track, gauge, and equipment standards; grand scale vendor offerings; and, compiling an on-line motive power roster.
Harold_V

Re: Grand Scale

Post by Harold_V »

It is my suggestion that the yet to be created forum include anything beyond 7½" gauge. Even 8", if there is such a gauge.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
ALCOSTEAM

Post by ALCOSTEAM »

I guess I fall in there as well. We have the #7 2-6-0 a narrow gauge engine running on 12" track with the drive wheels and cylinders being from one of the parted out House of David 4-6-0's. Myself I have a 4-8-4 in 12" that has a long way to go to finish. Its been 70 years in the building so far. For those that have a copy of "Little Railways of the World" published in the 1950's a read of the chapter on the WF&P tells of them starting to build a 4-8-4 in 1946. The boiler all 2000 pounds or so of it was constructed by a commercial boiler builder in St.Louis in 1947. The WF&P sold the project in the 1980's and I bought it in 2004. Originally started to become a Wabash 2900, the previous owner wanted to build a C&O J3, I am continuing along those lines but modeling the later version roller bearing J3A Greenbriar.

Here is a short video of the #7 at the WF&P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LyK58M8UsU

LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

JR May wrote:Can I suggest that it start at 9" gauge? Yes, I have a reason to suggest it. I'm thinking the Becker C&S RR which ran here in NJ.
JR
Becker's Centerville and Southwestern was 9 - 7/16" gauge and much of the equipment is now at a museum in Phillipsburg, NJ.
Keith
P.S. The attached photo was taken by Keith Muldowney on September 4th, 1972....the last day of operations at Roseland.
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

JR May wrote:Can I suggest that it start at 9" gauge? Yes, I have a reason to suggest it. I'm thinking the Becker C&S RR which ran here in NJ.
JR
We could also throw in the Mesa Grande Western, which is the only currently operating 9" gauge railroad in the united states.

-M
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
STRR

Post by STRR »

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Thank You. We have succeeded in getting a Grand Scale sub forum.

Spread the word and get all the Grand Scalers to join and contribute.

Good Luck,
Terry
Rob Gardner

Post by Rob Gardner »

Keith, I believe the C&SW 4-8-4 is still in private ownership in Dearborn, MI. All the other rolling stock is in Phillipsburg, NJ. Dave Sclavi has tried repeatedly to get the 1500 returned to NJ without success, yet.

Rob Gardner
John Landrum

Post by John Landrum »

I for one am glad of this forum and I agree with the comment about the Yahoo site being pretty dead. Great to know there are others out there in the larger gauges!
John