16" gauge mystery locomotive

Discuss park gauge trains and large scale miniature railways having track gauges from 8" to 24" gauge and designed at scales of 2" to the foot or greater - whether modeled for personal use, or purpose built for amusement park operation or private railroading.

Moderators: Glenn Brooks, Harold_V

Forum rules
Topics may include: antique park gauge train restoration, preservation, and history; building new grand scale equipment from scratch; large scale miniature railway construction, maintenance, and safe operation; fallen flags; track, gauge, and equipment standards; grand scale vendor offerings; and, compiling an on-line motive power roster.
JR May

16" gauge mystery locomotive

Post by JR May »

Just to kick things off, I took a look at a 16” gauge “critter” today. It came up on ebay and is not far from my home so it was worth the ride to take a look. Its about 4’ long, 2’ wide, a shade over 2’ tall. Its on ebay now, but the guy is pleasant enough to deal with in person. Looks to be well built, hyrdo drive, but has very tiny wheels. If I did not have so many projects in the shop today, I’d pick it up and regauge it to give me something to run while rebuilding my 15” gauge Herschell.

He also has two fairly rough National Amusement 24” gauge locomotives for sale. They are complete, but rough. Came from Ohio, but no idea which park.

Getting back to the critter, does it look familiar to anyone? It came from an estate in NJ apparently.

J.R.
s-l1600b.jpg
JR May

Re: 16" gauge mystery locomotive

Post by JR May »

Looks like the little locomotive has sold. I had taken a close look, but the Army surplus motor which is known to have issues and tiny odd ball wheels scared me off. His two 24" gauge Nationals are now listed on ebay and DLS. The bodies have been mangled by shipping straps, but otherwise not in terrible shape.