G-16 refurbish project advice

Discuss park gauge trains and large scale miniature railways having track gauges from 8" to 24" gauge and designed at scales of 2" to the foot or greater - whether modeled for personal use, or purpose built for amusement park operation or private railroading.

Moderators: Glenn Brooks, Harold_V

Forum rules
Topics may include: antique park gauge train restoration, preservation, and history; building new grand scale equipment from scratch; large scale miniature railway construction, maintenance, and safe operation; fallen flags; track, gauge, and equipment standards; grand scale vendor offerings; and, compiling an on-line motive power roster.
DennisBassetti

G-16 refurbish project advice

Post by DennisBassetti »

Dear Friends:

Thanks for allowing me to participate in this group.

I've been a fan of the MTC/Allan Herschell G-16 locomotive since I was a kid 55 - 60 years ago or so. Some 10 years ago I was able to finally purchase one but due to the economy had to put it up for sale. Fortunately it never sold and I now find myself in the long process of refurbishing it.

The engines will need to be dismantled and possibly rebuilt, as will the centrifugal clutch and transmission. The locomotives and cars will need new electrical.

The trucks will need some break hangers refurbished as will the vacuum cylinders, break pads, and possibly the wheels, axels and bearings.

The cars have rust that will need to be cut out/removed and tons and tons of dings.

In short, it's quite a project.

I don't want to make any scrap metal during this project and wanted to reach out to anyone who has gone before me to help give me some guidance, or refer me to some documentation/blue prints I could avail myself of.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Dennis Bassetti
Avon Park, FL
JR May

Re: G-16 refurbish project advice

Post by JR May »

Dennis:
Sometime back someone had detailed their efforts in restoring a G-16, but off hand I can not locate it. The G-16 is one of the best looking park train diesels so makes an excellent project and with a decent financial return as they seem to hold their value better than many park train products.

I'll keep hunting for the postings that I am thinking of. There is a guy here in NJ who has two or three G-16s that he is working on. Might be worth having you guys talk at some point.

J.R. May
Wall, NJ
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Might be a long shot, but have you considered contacting Chance Ride Company to find out if they have any idea where the original blueprints and replacement parts went off to? Or if they still provide restoration advice, etc.

I vaguely remember hearing years ago that they still field inquiries of this sort.
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
STRR

Post by STRR »

You might try the current owner of the MTC company (Allen Herschel after they bought MTC and after Chance bought Allen Herschel and sold A.H. to): Carousel Society of the Niagara Frontier. They're in upstate New York, North Tonowanda. Last I knew, Ed Janoulis (I know that's wrong spelling but it's the best I can do) was the MTC guru. I believe he has access to all the MTC inventory and plans.

This is the best I can do for now. I'll see what else I can dig up but I would recommend you contact the Carousel Society and ask for Ed. Make sure you are sitting down when you ask for prices of parts. Have someone nearby with smelling salts.

Good Luck,
Terry Miller
FLSTEAM

Post by FLSTEAM »

I rebuilt a G16 a few years back.

John B.
Attachments
676Zoo4.JPG
ObCarpainted.JPG
NP317

Post by NP317 »

FLSTEAM wrote:I rebuilt a G16 a few years back.

John B.
Beautiful!
~RN