Allan Basic 0-4-0 Plans

Discuss park gauge trains and large scale miniature railways having track gauges from 8" to 24" gauge and designed at scales of 2" to the foot or greater - whether modeled for personal use, or purpose built for amusement park operation or private railroading.

Moderators: Glenn Brooks, Harold_V

Forum rules
Topics may include: antique park gauge train restoration, preservation, and history; building new grand scale equipment from scratch; large scale miniature railway construction, maintenance, and safe operation; fallen flags; track, gauge, and equipment standards; grand scale vendor offerings; and, compiling an on-line motive power roster.
jlakes85

Allan Basic 0-4-0 Plans

Post by jlakes85 »

Hi All,

I have a set of the original blueprints that are starting to get a little ratty. Can anyone advise if these are still being sold (preferably in PDF)? The HRC website has been down for sometime. Thanks!
Glenn Brooks

Re: Allan Basic 0-4-0 Plans

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Hi Jake, are these plans for 7 1/2" gauge or larger - 12" or bigger? If they are for 7.x" gauge, you might get a better response by posting your question over on the live steam forum. There are a lot more 7.x" gauge folk there than here on Grand Scale.

BTW if Grand Scale, (8" gauge and larger) it would be very interesting to see a photo of your overall profile view, or similar.

Regards
Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
jlakes85

Post by jlakes85 »

Hi Glenn,

These are for the 5" scale 15" gauge 0-4-0 that was offered by HRC a few years back.

-John
jessebanning

Post by jessebanning »

I am building that locomotive for a customer. It is almost complete. You can call or email me if you like
www.banninglocomotiveworks.com

www.littleengines.com
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

Are you referring to the 15" gauge Chris Allan 2-4-0? I believe Hillcrest Shops has the castings and plans for that now.

_m
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
RussellCofIdaho

Post by RussellCofIdaho »

jessebanning wrote:I am building that locomotive for a customer. It is almost complete. You can call or email me if you like
This sounds interesting! I rode behind what I think was the original at the 2004 RVRy 50th gathering. Nice little engine but he had steaming troubles that day, maybe it was still having the bugs worked out. I am working on a post from the photos of that trip on my blog but memories are fading...

My brother was at one time in discussions with Keith Watson about getting parts made for an 18" gauge version of his 0-4-0. A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away....

http://unknownidaho.wordpres.com

Your neighbor to the north...
Russell Courtenay
Idaho - USA
unknownidaho.wordpress.com
Big trains and big dreams...
jlakes85

Post by jlakes85 »

Hi Jessie,

Sounds good. I'm about 40% of the way done on the buckwalter Shay and am looking towards something bigger.

Regards,

John
jessebanning

Post by jessebanning »

I made some changes. The original calls for a 12" boiler. I was told it had issues keeping steam up since the cylinder are pretty big. I made a 14" boiler and I personally think it looks better. I also stretched the tender tank 8". The locomotive is coal fired and you sit on a small seat on tender deck and shovel coal from under seat. You get am in cab experience.
Attachments
IMG_3469.JPG
IMG_3466.JPG
IMG_3468.JPG
IMG_3463.JPG
IMG_3464.JPG

www.littleengines.com
jessebanning

Post by jessebanning »

Here are two shots of the tender
Attachments
IMG_2922.JPG
IMG_2923.JPG

www.littleengines.com
RussellCofIdaho

Post by RussellCofIdaho »

Sure is a nice looking loco, looks like you will have it running this year? :D
Russell Courtenay
Idaho - USA
unknownidaho.wordpress.com
Big trains and big dreams...
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Jessie, what size are the drives and the wheels for the tender? Where did you find them?

Thanks
Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
jessebanning

Post by jessebanning »

Glenn I had a pattern made and have 44 wheel castings in stock. The drivers are 10" OD on the tread and have steel tires. The tender wheels are machined to 8".

www.littleengines.com