Anybody recognize these 12" ga trucks?

Discuss park gauge trains and large scale miniature railways having track gauges from 8" to 24" gauge and designed at scales of 2" to the foot or greater - whether modeled for personal use, or purpose built for amusement park operation or private railroading.

Moderators: Glenn Brooks, Harold_V

Forum rules
Topics may include: antique park gauge train restoration, preservation, and history; building new grand scale equipment from scratch; large scale miniature railway construction, maintenance, and safe operation; fallen flags; track, gauge, and equipment standards; grand scale vendor offerings; and, compiling an on-line motive power roster.
Glenn Brooks

Anybody recognize these 12" ga trucks?

Post by Glenn Brooks »

These trucks come with a "G-12" train. But they are not MTC trucks. And I suspect the loco body is not actually a G12 locomotive. It looks like one, but the cab windows look larger and the body profile seems shorter.

Any MTC experts out there that can clarify?

Thanks
Glenn
IMG_1449.JPG
IMG_1447.JPG
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
STRR

Re: Anybody recognize these 12" ga trucks?

Post by STRR »

Glen,

While I'm not an expert on this one, I do believe you are the proud owner of a Tom Thumb. Sure looks like one to me and looks to be in pretty darn good shape, except the rusty trucks.

I'll ask an expert to weigh in on this one. I know for sure he can tell us if it's a Tom Thumb or not.

Terry
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Terry, thanks for the quick reply! What is a Tom Thumb?? Although I have heard of these, I am not at all knowledgeable, as it were.

Regards
Glenn

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

STRR

Post by STRR »

Glenn,

I have sent info to my expert. He will get back to me as he is not currently a member here.

Tom Thumb is the name of trains made by different manufactures but the same train. I believe they were made in the '50's. My expert says they were mostly 15" or 18" gauge. He has not seen a 12" gauge.

After sending him your photos, he says the style of the trucks are as he remembers of the Tom Thumb trains. He also says; your bodies definitely have the Tom Thumb look.

Personally, I believe I have heard of a 12" gauge but I wouldn't bet a nickel on that memory. I'll be sure to pass on any further info, if I get any.

Cheers,
Terry
ALCOSTEAM

Post by ALCOSTEAM »

The Illinois central train at the Little Toot Railroad in Flora IL is a Tom Thumb train but its 15" gauge.

You can see it sort of in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Sq12xzjZus
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Hi Terry, Just a brief update. These trucks and the accompanying train set are indeed a 15" ga Tom Thumb train. I measured the wheel gauge at an actual 14 3/4" ga, so think it was meant to be run on 15" ga track.

Also the truck frame members are cast with the words "Tom Thumb" intergal with the side frames of the truck. No word on who did the restoration, or where the train itself previously lived. I need to go do so more research as the PO is still around. (An antique dealer bought it and has it for sale currently).

Glenn

RussellCofIdaho

Post by RussellCofIdaho »

Glenn Brooks wrote:(An antique dealer bought it and has it for sale currently).
Ah yes, and if is your usual antique dealer the price is original price x inflation x 2 + 'original patina' (Rust) charge + 100% markup :shock:
Russell Courtenay
Idaho - USA
unknownidaho.wordpress.com
Big trains and big dreams...