15" Gauge 1907 4-4-0 Project

Discuss park gauge trains and large scale miniature railways having track gauges from 8" to 24" gauge and designed at scales of 2" to the foot or greater - whether modeled for personal use, or purpose built for amusement park operation or private railroading.

Moderators: Glenn Brooks, Harold_V

Forum rules
Topics may include: antique park gauge train restoration, preservation, and history; building new grand scale equipment from scratch; large scale miniature railway construction, maintenance, and safe operation; fallen flags; track, gauge, and equipment standards; grand scale vendor offerings; and, compiling an on-line motive power roster.
JR May

Re: 15" Gauge 1907 4-4-0 Project

Post by JR May »

John:
My goal had been to be able to take it to other railroads, although the lap seam boiler may be an issue with such plans. Many thanks for the lead. Sounds like a great place to visit.

Keith:
Call it stubbornness, but the goal had always been to keep it 15” gauge with an eye on visiting other 15” gauge railroads. To me, right or wrong, it has to be 15” gauge to be done right. Besides, I paid good money for the wheels and axles set at 15” gauge and have trucks and such already set at 15” gauge.

Many thanks all for the push!

J.R.
FLSTEAM

Post by FLSTEAM »

BTW I have a set of 15" ga. trucks for sale.

JB
JR May

Post by JR May »

Looking at the topic I created covering my Herschell Spillman 4-4-0, I see that I have not provided an update in quite some time. A stumbling block had been the driver journal boxes which needed additional work to fit to the frame and which challenged my abilities on a mill just a bit. With no spares, I did not want to turn one into scrap, but by some miracle, and moral support from some good friends, they are now done. With that step over with, I can start further reassembly and test fitting.

I really wanted to get the chassis together and rolling, which I saw as a kick in the pants to keep this project moving forward. Plus, I need to see how long the crank pins need to be so there is a need then to assemble the cylinders and cross heads to get the measurements I need. As mentioned previously, the boiler is a tad too wide for the chassis, so for the moment it is sitting on wooden blocks until some formal solution is identified, preferably a new boiler, but that will be a ways down the road. Over this past weekend the chassis was moved to the rolling cart and the boiler added to get an idea on how things will look with the extra 3-1/2” of needed height to clear the drivers. Probably the first time the engine has been this “complete” in 70+ years.

Anyway, on to the crank pins.

J.R. May
Attachments
Wheels in Frame.jpeg
IMG_3293.jpg
IMG_3292.jpg
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

J.R.,

Ryan Knowlton who goes by RKCARGUY here on Chaski works for a large boiler and fab shop that has all the necessary stamps to make boilers. He might be able to send you a quote for a new boiler.

Iam in the process of making up a sketch to send to him for the same purpose for my Campbell loco.

Maybe something to consider.

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

Thanks for the plug Glenn.
Yes our shop has PP, R, S, and U "stamps" for building certified pressure vessels and piping.
In some states riveted and lap seam boilers can be ran on private property only, other states disallow them being pressurized all together.
You're welcome to PM me if interested and I can provide links to our certifications and a quote from your drawings/sketch.
JR May

Post by JR May »

Ryan:
Just sent you a message. Look forward to talking to you.

As to the lap seam, NJ allows them. I would prefer a proper fitting boiler though and one that could be used in any state.
J.R.
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

I received your email and replied from my company email. I'll await your drawings.
We can "keyhole" the bottom of the firebox on the new boiler so that it will fit between the rear drivers, Glenn is having the same problem.