Regauged 12" Cagney for sale

Discuss park gauge trains and large scale miniature railways having track gauges from 8" to 24" gauge and designed at scales of 2" to the foot or greater - whether modeled for personal use, or purpose built for amusement park operation or private railroading.

Moderators: Glenn Brooks, Harold_V

Forum rules
Topics may include: antique park gauge train restoration, preservation, and history; building new grand scale equipment from scratch; large scale miniature railway construction, maintenance, and safe operation; fallen flags; track, gauge, and equipment standards; grand scale vendor offerings; and, compiling an on-line motive power roster.
Glenn Brooks

Regauged 12" Cagney for sale

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Couple of really exquisite looking 12" gauge loco's popped up on DLS tonight. Located in Minnesota, apparently. One is an extremely rare Cagney, D model, regauged to 12" ga track. The other is a nicely detailed 4-4-2 Atlantic. Wish I had the bucks to make an offer. But alas, no mas and no room left in the shop! Still, magnificent looking 12" ga motive power.

Here are the photos.
Nice looking, and rare Cagney
Nice looking, and rare Cagney
4-4-2 Atlantic
4-4-2 Atlantic
Early style Ottaway
Early style Ottaway
Ottaway smoke box view
Ottaway smoke box view
IMG_1595.JPG (31.77 KiB) Viewed 12654 times

Holly smokes he has another one for sale - 2 Ottaway's and a Cagney, plus the Atlantic. Whoever the owner is, they won the race for the most toys!
Ottaway in finery!
Ottaway in finery!
IMG_1593.JPG
IMG_1593.JPG (48.78 KiB) Viewed 12670 times

- Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
jcbrock

Re: Regauged 12" Cagney for sale

Post by jcbrock »

I used to live 3 miles from that railroad, owned by one of the nicest guys you could ever meet. The Atlantic was in Frederic Shaw's "Little Railways of the World".
John Brock
ALCOSTEAM

Post by ALCOSTEAM »

Where at in the book ?
jcbrock

Post by jcbrock »

My copy is buried a little too deep to find at the moment, but there are a few pages devoted to a relatively scale SP Atlantic built iirc by a printer in Santa Rosa, Ca. That's the one. I don't know the story of how it got to Minnesota. Several (if not all) of the locos were owned and operated by Al O'Neil, and the present owner purchased them after Al's passing.
John Brock
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

ALCOSTEAM wrote:Where at in the book ?
The owner quotes the page on the DLS for sale site. Page 250 something. Sure would like to see these engines up close.

-G

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Harlock

Post by Harlock »

In the Shaw book, the builder of the atlantic is listed as Robert H. Butler of Santa Rosa, CA. His profession is listed as an engraver. Apparently there is a quite a set of drawings that go with it, which he of course made engravings and the resulting prints from.

It's 2" to the foot and has been broad-gauged a bit to arrive at 12". It's a replica of a 3000 series. Apparently he never was able to run it himself as he became ill before he was able to build any track.
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
steaminfo

Post by steaminfo »

Hi, my name is Doug Bailey and I'm the webmaster of www.steamlocomotive.info. Our site does list 12" gauge locomotives, and I would be grateful for a source of information that would allow us to add these three locomotives to our website and database. Hopefully, someone can help?
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Doug,

you may be able to contact the owner through his ad on DiscoverLiveSteam.

Glenn