12" working railroad

Discuss park gauge trains and large scale miniature railways having track gauges from 8" to 24" gauge and designed at scales of 2" to the foot or greater - whether modeled for personal use, or purpose built for amusement park operation or private railroading.

Moderators: Glenn Brooks, Harold_V

Forum rules
Topics may include: antique park gauge train restoration, preservation, and history; building new grand scale equipment from scratch; large scale miniature railway construction, maintenance, and safe operation; fallen flags; track, gauge, and equipment standards; grand scale vendor offerings; and, compiling an on-line motive power roster.
rkcarguy

Re: 12" working railroad

Post by rkcarguy » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:27 am

Thanks Tom, yeah I have a 6S, it just updated itself and I'll have to go turn off the auto-rotate setting again.

rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:35 pm

I'm still alive, it's been a busy summer. Shortly after I got the riding car rolling, our state re-opened non-essential construction so I was able to resume work on the house. I got the foundation poured and its now got about a week to go before it's had it's 28 days to reach strength so I can start building on it. Gains on the house and RR build are going to be highly, and oppositely dependent, on how bad the weather is.
I've got all my parts, minus hydraulic hoses and fittings, to get my hydraulic powertrain assembled into my locomotive trucks and the pump mounted and coupled to the engine, so at the first run of bad weather it will be time to fire up the lathe again and start getting some more work done!

rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:01 pm

Not much to report on the train front. The house is coming along and ready for siding and interior finishes.
We had 2 - "100 year floods" and a "500 year flood" in November this year, receiving more than double our record of rain ugh. I had to scrap my backfill plans as everything got way too mushy to bring any equipment in. Thankfully I built up and compacted a bit of a berm of 35 tons of structural fill which I poured my foundation on, with a 4" quarry spall French drain in the low corner. It drained well and stayed solid so I suffered no settling. When things dry out enough, I'll be resuming dirt work, backfilling around the home, and clearing/grading the first ~200' of the RR's ROW.