liability Insurance

Discuss park gauge trains and large scale miniature railways having track gauges from 8" to 24" gauge and designed at scales of 2" to the foot or greater - whether modeled for personal use, or purpose built for amusement park operation or private railroading.

Moderators: Glenn Brooks, Harold_V

Forum rules
Topics may include: antique park gauge train restoration, preservation, and history; building new grand scale equipment from scratch; large scale miniature railway construction, maintenance, and safe operation; fallen flags; track, gauge, and equipment standards; grand scale vendor offerings; and, compiling an on-line motive power roster.
Glenn Brooks

liability Insurance

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Starting to look around for liability insurance for my home RR.

Anybody know of an insurance carrier that will provide liability and property coverage for miniature trains?

Also, has anyone explored buying "inland marine" type of insurance for their RR?

Thanks
Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
jcbrock

Re: liability Insurance

Post by jcbrock »

https://www.hmbd.com/large-scale-trains/

It won't be inexpensive but they do know the hobby.
John Brock
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

I haven't been able to find much. Seems like as long as it's a private venue and homeowners insurance will cover the trains and liability I think that's that.
For my application, I think my working RR is far better and safer than a 4-wheeler and a trailer. I've been into motorcycles in the past for years, and so many people get hurt on 3-4 wheelers it was really surprising. Usually it involves them rolling it, the quad and or trailer and contents land on them, and so on. The big bubbly tires make them bounce around where on a 2-wheel motorcycle it just falls over.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

RK,

Problem is, for what ever reason, most homeowners policies won't cover backyard RR's for liability purposes. Iam going to bring this up again with my policy holder - but not expecting much.

I've inquired here and there, and It seems no one is much interested in putting together an insurance pool to make backyard RR's liability insurance affordable. Hence the speciality markets are, so far, the only place to turn.

Glenn

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Don't know if this will help, but please follow this link

http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... 41#p345929

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Thanks Harold, I think I recall reading this thread some time ago. Property coverage is indeed easier to come by - often by the homeowners policy. My principle concern is protecting against liability - at a cost private hobbyists can afford. The liability aspect is the tough one.

Glenn

John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Most homeowner's liability policies cover anything not excluded.
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

As I wrote in the thread referenced above by Harold, unless you have it in writing from an underwriter, do NOT presume you have liability coverage. If you have a claim, the first thing the insurance company will do is sift through the fine print of the policy to try to find a way to deny the claim. An attorney once told me that the average minimum cost of taking a case to court is about $100,000. An injury claim against you could run well into six figures. If you do not have a specific affirmative written statement that you have liability coverage for ride-on trains, you are taking a risk.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

From a liability standpoint, I don't see it any different than if you and family members were riding quads around the property.
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

rkcarguy wrote:...I don't see it any different...
But it's how the insurance company sees it that matters.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

> But it's how the insurance company sees it that matters.

The policy is a contract. It's how a court of law sees it that matters. If you are uncertain take the policy to a lawyer and pay him to give you an opinion as to whether you are covered.
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »