liability Insurance

Discuss park gauge trains and large scale miniature railways having track gauges from 8" to 24" gauge and designed at scales of 2" to the foot or greater - whether modeled for personal use, or purpose built for amusement park operation or private railroading.

Moderators: Glenn Brooks, Harold_V

Forum rules
Topics may include: antique park gauge train restoration, preservation, and history; building new grand scale equipment from scratch; large scale miniature railway construction, maintenance, and safe operation; fallen flags; track, gauge, and equipment standards; grand scale vendor offerings; and, compiling an on-line motive power roster.
Glenn Brooks

Re: liability Insurance

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Russell, I’ve talked to Merriman. Their agent is at a trade show and will be replying on Thursday.

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
RussellCofIdaho

Post by RussellCofIdaho »

Glenn Brooks wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:05 am Russell, I’ve talked to Merriman. Their agent is at a trade show and will be replying on Thursday.

Glenn
Great Glenn.

I sent you a PM...
Russell Courtenay
Idaho - USA
unknownidaho.wordpress.com
Big trains and big dreams...
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Just a quick update on liability insurance. Mike from Specality Insurance just emailed and said he has received word from several underwriters who are interested in working up insurance quotes for Live steam backyard railroads. He will be forwarding details soon as he receives them. So we might know something over the next week or so.

Glenn

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

RussellCofIdaho

Thanks Glenn!
Russell Courtenay
Idaho - USA
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Another update - not much to add. I checked again this week, was advised three of their underwriters declined to insure because it’s not a commercial operation. mike is awaiting additional responses from his other contacts. He will advise when he hears something positive.

Glenn

RussellCofIdaho

Thanks for keeping up on this Glenn.
Russell Courtenay
Idaho - USA
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Hello all,

I’ve been in touch in Brian Merriam owner of American insurance Agency, located in Schnectedy, NY. Brian’s approach is a bit different than Specality Insurance, in that they would like to reach out to everyone who may be interested in liability insurance and Build a base of possible clients to take to their underwriters.

Anyone who is interested in liability insurance can call or email them directly. Here is Brian’s contact info:

Brian H. Merriam, CPCU, ARM, AAI
President                                   
Merriam Insurance Agency
376 Broadway, PO Box 1038
Schenectady, NY 12301-1038
P 518.393.2109 ext.201 or 877.MERRIAM
F 518.346.0996
www.merriaminsurance.com
https://www.facebook.com/MerriamI

Russell, you mentioned having been contacted by 20 train owners on another forum. Can you pass this along to them, and/or advise what forum this is so you or I can let Brian know where to go to contact people about this opportunity?

If anybody has an interest in liability insurance for backyard railroading - indeed any private railroading activity, this may be our best possibility for developing proper coverage and achieving affordable rates.

Thanks,
Glenn

timmy wheeler

Post by timmy wheeler »

Thnks Glenn! Timmy
illigitimi non carborundum
RussellCofIdaho

I'll find my post on Facebook. Thanks Glenn.
Russell Courtenay
Idaho - USA
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Just received a comment on Facebook about a potential third insurance vendor. For those who are interested, the agency is McRail Insurance. Ask for Tripp.

They have a web site that states they specialize in Railroad insurance.

Glenn

Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

One more follow up re: liability insurance. I have just learned that my homeowner’s policy does in fact cover backyard railroading. I insure through USAA. I talked to them twice and confirmed USAA writes what are known as “All Risk” policies. Meaning they cover all risks associated with my homeowner’s use of you property - excluding commercial uses.

USAA does not have an exception for non registered motorized vehicles, such as ATV’s, snow mobiles, go,karts, etc. a registered vehicle would be an automobile, for which there are separate auto policies. Hence, my train, and farmal Cub farm tractor are covered for liability purposes.

Those folk who have current or prior military experience including National Guard or Reserve experience, and family members are eligible to join USAA. I have not inquired about what other homeowner insurance companies write All Risk type policies.

However, have heard that State Farm is an example of an insurance company that DOES NOT insure non registered motorized vehicles. Hence they Are NOT an All Risk insurer. They reportedly do not cover backyard railroads, as it is a form of amotorized vehicle.

So, in the event someone in the live steam hobby is seeking liability insurance for a backyard railroad, look for a company that writes “All Risk” home owner type policies.

Yet another option is to check with your insurance company to see if they will write an additional “Umbrella” liability policy, to cover you over and above what your existing auto or homeowners policy presently covers. I can buy an umbrella policy for around $20/mo and may pursue that in addition to the coverage I now have under my existing homeowners coverage.

This pretty much rounds out what I have learned about acquiring backyard railroad liability insurance.

Regards,
Glenn

rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

Having been deep into home owners insurance when I was looking into some other venues, I'm not overly surprised at the results.
The sad part of it is, there isn't much middle ground for the guy that wants to do a seasonal X-mas train or something like that. Also not surprised at your discovery about Farmers.....despite their "yep, we covered it" commercials. :roll: