Miniature Railroading in the Saginaw News today

Discuss park gauge trains and large scale miniature railways having track gauges from 8" to 24" gauge and designed at scales of 2" to the foot or greater - whether modeled for personal use, or purpose built for amusement park operation or private railroading.

Moderators: Glenn Brooks, Harold_V

Forum rules
Topics may include: antique park gauge train restoration, preservation, and history; building new grand scale equipment from scratch; large scale miniature railway construction, maintenance, and safe operation; fallen flags; track, gauge, and equipment standards; grand scale vendor offerings; and, compiling an on-line motive power roster.
Atkinson_Railroad

Miniature Railroading in the Saginaw News today

Post by Atkinson_Railroad »

DT&I orange goes well with Halloween

Page A3 of the Saginaw News today shows a nice shot of miniature railroad caboose 108 and the
“We Have the Connections” compass herald.

The 67-year-old caboose and other pieces of equipment were put in service for a Fall Harvest event this past Tuesday.

Additional pictures of the Detroit, Toledo and Ironton miniature train can be viewed at
the on-line mlive photo gallery below. (Scroll to about photo 27 of the 40 picture gallery.)
Several engineers operated the 1955 Lima Switcher during the 5 hour event. The newspaper photo journalist caught
live steam boiler maker Marty Knox at the engine’s throttle in one of the pictures.

It was a fun day!

http://www.mlive.com/news/saginaw/index ... t_fes.html

John
Attachments
Saginaw News Photo by Jacob Hamilton
Saginaw News Photo by Jacob Hamilton
Marty_Knox

Re: Miniature Railroading in the Saginaw News today

Post by Marty_Knox »

Yes, it really was a fun day! I'd like to thank John for sharing the Atkinson Family Railroad with me , his cousins, and hordes of kids! He brought smiles to a lot of faces, especially my grandson Noah!
Attachments
IMG_8598.JPG
dash9

Post by dash9 »

Nice photos..
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

Here is a picture of John talking with his sister and some cousins.
Attachments
IMG_8584.JPG
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

And John backing up for another trip.
Hi Grandfather did a great job modeling a Lima switcher.
Attachments
IMG_8596.JPG
Rob Gardner

Post by Rob Gardner »

How cool. Is this 7-1/2" equipment?

Rob
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

No, it is not really to any particular scale. The track is 12 13/16" gauge, the side scale is roughly 1 1/2", but the front scale is 2" plus. It looks like something from Popular Mechanics in the late Forties/early Fifties.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Buried deep in the Show Us Your Park Guage Train thread is a bit more information on John's Christmas train. Here is his video from 2016.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ovd-Ia5kIBY

If I remember correctly, John's father built the loco and the cars, and John has restored it to running operation over the last few years. I think he said the track,gauge is actually 12 15/16". Definitely a unique gauge.

John also built a working replica of a railway crane, may years ago. Apparently the crane still exists, but has been in storage for decades, and now is awaiting its turn at restoration. I've been waiting with anxious anticipation to see some photos, or, perhaps the crane back in service. But,,,, good things take time.

John, any chance of an update on your crane? Hint hint, hint.

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Atkinson_Railroad

Post by Atkinson_Railroad »

~smiling~~~ at the misc info bits. "I read it on the Internet, so it must be true!"

Marty was off by an 1/8" on distance between the rails. Glenn corrected the gauge recalling the actual 12-15/16". "but", he was off one generation on the builder who was my grandfather, not my father.

A recent gathering for a 90-year-old relative of mine celebrating a birthday revealed some further details I need to update at the IBLS story.

http://ibls.org/mediawiki/index.php?tit ... n_Railroad

Some of the too many irons in the fire, need to be tossed out.

Glenn, thank you for inquiring about the wrecker. As you mention... things take time.
One discovery related to the wrecker over the course of the summer was learning that the American Flyer 644 S-gauge Wrecking Crane
which I worked from in building the crane (in the 1980s), the length of the boom on the toy was quite shorter than on the actual prototype.
Another one of those... "had I known that..." I would have made it the correct size.

John
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

John, so we missed by 1 gen and a 1/16". Close enuf for old retired guys!

Many thanks for the link to your great grand dad, granddad, dad, and your Railroad history!

I'd still love to see some detailed photos of your crane - even sitting in storage. I've been thinking about building one ever since I first heard about yours.

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....