Thought you might like this

Discuss park gauge trains and large scale miniature railways having track gauges from 8" to 24" gauge and designed at scales of 2" to the foot or greater - whether modeled for personal use, or purpose built for amusement park operation or private railroading.

Moderators: Glenn Brooks, Harold_V

Forum rules
Topics may include: antique park gauge train restoration, preservation, and history; building new grand scale equipment from scratch; large scale miniature railway construction, maintenance, and safe operation; fallen flags; track, gauge, and equipment standards; grand scale vendor offerings; and, compiling an on-line motive power roster.
Harold_V

Thought you might like this

Post by Harold_V »

Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Glenn Brooks

Re: Thought you might like this

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Harold, thanks for posting. Truely remarkable video. I had no idea the line was so extensively well developed. A real loss now that it has closed.

GPB
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Mike Walsh

Re: Thought you might like this

Post by Mike Walsh »

Glenn Brooks wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:33 pm Harold, thanks for posting. Truely remarkable video. I had no idea the line was so extensively well developed. A real loss now that it has closed.

GPB
You have no idea. I have taken 801 over 20 actual MPH, and experienced runs firing at nearly 30, and it was one of the smoothest riding railroads I've ever been on. How often do you get to sit with a fellow crew member in the cab, and run the engine just as they were run back in the day, hollering out signal indications and setting each other up for success? The 801 was truly set up as a steam engine would be set up -- you couldn't see what was on the other side of the locomotive, because everything blocked your view. All you could see was out the side of the cab or through the cab window. It took me some time to learn firing the 801, but I will tell you right now, the last time I fired 801 in November, was one of the best runs I ever had. You could set up the injector as you started back up the hill, and fire against the injector -- trying to maintain as close to the pops at 200 psi you could, because the train that 801 pulled wanted to swallow up every square inch of steam you could give her. You treat 'er right, she takes care of you!

Alex Beams was always maintaining the railroad, and the Friends of the ATTNW did a phenomenal job supporting him. It truly is a loss to the Grand Scales community at this time, however we are trying to remain optimistic that a buyer will come in and buy the railroad - even if it is just the railroad and not the surrounding land... But only time will tell.

I never met John Woods as I started going out there shortly after his passing, and I wish I would have. However, the group that makes up the ATTNW is a top notch group, and we will continue to see each other in the steam world -- whether it be standard gauge or grand scales railroading, we all know we share a common interest - steam. I spent many years in the 12" gauge world, and this was a huge step up for me... and I am glad I was able to learn from these guys and apply what I learned.

It sure was a good time for these last nine years I was out there!

-Mike Walsh