New grand scale trucks

Discuss park gauge trains and large scale miniature railways having track gauges from 8" to 24" gauge and designed at scales of 2" to the foot or greater - whether modeled for personal use, or purpose built for amusement park operation or private railroading.

Moderators: Glenn Brooks, Harold_V

Forum rules
Topics may include: antique park gauge train restoration, preservation, and history; building new grand scale equipment from scratch; large scale miniature railway construction, maintenance, and safe operation; fallen flags; track, gauge, and equipment standards; grand scale vendor offerings; and, compiling an on-line motive power roster.
Adirondack

New grand scale trucks

Post by Adirondack »

Hi folks. I've been asked by my client to gauge interest in the trucks I am doing for him on 18" gauge. They can also be easily set up for 15" gauge by simply moving in the wheels on the axles without affecting looks or operation. They also have a provision for braking built-in to the design.

The originals are from a Carter-Morehart 18" park train from the late 1940's. The current owner acquired the engine and three coaches with only one set of trucks. My job was to measure and convert his original to CAD for 3D printing patterns. These patterns will then be investment cast in either iron or steel.

That said, is there anyone out there who would be interested in a set of the castings? I don't have hard numbers on pricing yet, but I think most of our members have gotten over sticker shock in this scale. Also, the more castings I can run, the better pricing for everyone.

Please contact me directly to discuss further. Thanks!

ADK
carter morehart loco and train.jpg
CM CAD 1.jpg
CM sideframe CAD.png
CM sideframe render.png
CM test prints.jpg
sketch-CAD-print-casting.jpg
Adirondack Car & Foundry
Check out our projects: https://www.facebook.com/ADKrail/
Visit our ALL-NEW online store: https://adirondackcarfoundry.square.site/

A little locomotive with 4 wheels on the track is a lot more fun
than a 1/2 finished one with 16 wheels on the bench!
Glenn Brooks

Re: New grand scale trucks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

ADK, be helpful,if we could know the general dimensions of the truck frames, say, length and width and height. and what diameter wheel they will accommodate.

Also maybe PM with an estimated cost.

Thanks
Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
STRR

Post by STRR »

The side frames are approximately 24" long with an approximate 18 1/2" center to center axle distance. The wheels are 8" tall overall with a 7" tread. Gauge is 18" but can be built at 15" to 18". Double tapered roller bearings on the axle ends makes for extremely low rolling resistance. Sprung and equalized makes these trucks very versatile and reliable.

The photo is of my Carter-Morehart often listed as an All American Streamliner. I have determined this train to be a C-M due to the coach seat configuration. Original sales advertisements stated the number of riders which corresponds to this seat arrangement. All American purchased C-M for reasons unknown. All American advertising stated a reduced number of riders and a reduced number of seats. There are known All American riding cars still on the rails providing proof.

Good Luck,
Terry
Adirondack

Post by Adirondack »

STRR wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:39 pm The side frames are approximately 24" long with an approximate 18 1/2" center to center axle distance. The wheels are 8" tall overall with a 7" tread. Gauge is 18" but can be built at 15" to 18". Double tapered roller bearings on the axle ends makes for extremely low rolling resistance. Sprung and equalized makes these trucks very versatile and reliable.

The photo is of my Carter-Morehart often listed as an All American Streamliner. I have determined this train to be a C-M due to the coach seat configuration. Original sales advertisements stated the number of riders which corresponds to this seat arrangement. All American purchased C-M for reasons unknown. All American advertising stated a reduced number of riders and a reduced number of seats. There are known All American riding cars still on the rails providing proof.

Good Luck,
Terry
Thanks Terry.
Adirondack Car & Foundry
Check out our projects: https://www.facebook.com/ADKrail/
Visit our ALL-NEW online store: https://adirondackcarfoundry.square.site/

A little locomotive with 4 wheels on the track is a lot more fun
than a 1/2 finished one with 16 wheels on the bench!