12" Guage Wheel Standard

Discuss park gauge trains and large scale miniature railways having track gauges from 8" to 24" gauge and designed at scales of 2" to the foot or greater - whether modeled for personal use, or purpose built for amusement park operation or private railroading.

Moderators: Glenn Brooks, Harold_V

Forum rules
Topics may include: antique park gauge train restoration, preservation, and history; building new grand scale equipment from scratch; large scale miniature railway construction, maintenance, and safe operation; fallen flags; track, gauge, and equipment standards; grand scale vendor offerings; and, compiling an on-line motive power roster.
rkcarguy

Re: 12" Guage Wheel Standard

Post by rkcarguy »

^^^ It probably cuts really nice. They make 1/4" round carbide inserts and holders, I've been watching ebay for one to come up.
My thought was to rough the wheels within about .030" and then finish cut them with that in one pass. Carbide likes to be "loaded".
dnevil

Post by dnevil »

I've created a first draft for a 12" Gauge Wheel Standard. Take a look.

http://ibls.org/files/Standards/IBLS%20 ... 0Gauge.pdf

This is based on the WF&P standard as published in Live Steam and Outdoor Railroading, Sep/Oct 2015.

I welcome feedback.
Daris Nevil
IBLS Secretary
North American Region
http://www.ibls.org
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Daris,

Thanks for doing this. Hopefully others will comment also.

One question: should FW and WD be the same dimension? If not, how are they different? Seems like they should both be the same??

Thanks again,

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
dnevil

Post by dnevil »

Good question. If FW and WD were the same, then the flange would ride on the frog. You want the wheel flange to be shorter than the depth to the bottom of the frog.
Daris Nevil
IBLS Secretary
North American Region
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Daris, ok, understand now. One measurement is for the wheel, the other for the frog. Makes sense.

Thanks very much,

Glenn

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

Perhaps a credit to the WF&P would be ideal. After all, the members of WF&P came up with this standard a long time ago.
dnevil

Post by dnevil »

That's a good idea. I'll modify and repost. Thanks!
Daris Nevil
IBLS Secretary
North American Region
dnevil

Post by dnevil »

BTW, if you are viewing the PDF file in your web browser you will want to hold the shift key and click the reload icon to see the latest edit.
Daris Nevil
IBLS Secretary
North American Region
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

The wheel gage WG looks a little big. Other than the flange depth and frog depth being deeper than I had planned on I'm looking good, and I have been using a 10mm bolt for spacing my guard rails (just under .400"). I'm modeling in 2" scale though, shouldn't hurt to leave my flange depth shallower on my wheels as long as my track is all to spec?
dnevil

Post by dnevil »

rkcarguy,

Good catch, WG is a typo, should be 11.843 inches. I've posted an updated document.

Daris
Daris Nevil
IBLS Secretary
North American Region
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

I'm surprised the flange depth is as deep as it is, but I guess that is based on 3" scale as well. Is there any rule of thumb for scale vs. flange depth?
I'm modeling in 2" scale.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Ryan,

I’ve always heard that flange depth relates most closely to the profile of the rail and the frogs and points, etc the wheel must traverse, not the particular scale of the locomotive it fits on. ( In turn, size of rail, points, and frogs, determines carrying capacity and load stability - hence gauge, rail profile, and equivalent wheel design.) so your 2” scale locomotive would ideally be equipped with wheels that are most suitable for the 12” gauge track you wish to operate on. Prototype locomotive builders in the last century did this all the time, by progressively scaling engines and rolling stock to larger and larger sizes and carrying capacity, all the while maintaining standard gauge and wheel profiles.

Interestingly, In the earliest days of live steam development, Henry Greenly made a similar distinction between scale and gauge, and by reference - flange depth, saying that Scale determines the height, width of the locomotive, but gauge enabled the width of the selected fire box between the frame.

Glenn