12" Guage Wheel Standard

Discuss park gauge trains and large scale miniature railways having track gauges from 8" to 24" gauge and designed at scales of 2" to the foot or greater - whether modeled for personal use, or purpose built for amusement park operation or private railroading.

Moderators: Glenn Brooks, Harold_V

Forum rules
Topics may include: antique park gauge train restoration, preservation, and history; building new grand scale equipment from scratch; large scale miniature railway construction, maintenance, and safe operation; fallen flags; track, gauge, and equipment standards; grand scale vendor offerings; and, compiling an on-line motive power roster.
rkcarguy

Re: 12" Guage Wheel Standard

Post by rkcarguy » Fri May 17, 2019 5:44 pm

I've sized my wheel burnouts for a 5/16 wide (minus the 10* flange angle cut), by 1/4" deep flange when new, and left myself 1/8" of extra meat on the wheels which will allow several re-turns if needed. The flanges could either be left alone and would "grow" in depth as the "tire" was turned down, or turned down along with the tire. So if I was running on someone else's RR, my wheel may drop a little bit into their frogs and theirs would ride up through my frogs. I'm actually making the "root" of my frogs screw in though, so this isn't that big of a deal either.

This brings up another question of mine. I've assumed that when a wheel navigates a frog, that the bottom of the frog is supposed to be close to(obviously a bit deeper to account for wear) the flange depth to support the wheel for that short moment where it hops over the gap in the rails?