12" or 15" gauge, what is available?

Discuss park gauge trains and large scale miniature railways having track gauges from 8" to 24" gauge and designed at scales of 2" to the foot or greater - whether modeled for personal use, or purpose built for amusement park operation or private railroading.

Moderators: Glenn Brooks, Harold_V

Forum rules
Topics may include: antique park gauge train restoration, preservation, and history; building new grand scale equipment from scratch; large scale miniature railway construction, maintenance, and safe operation; fallen flags; track, gauge, and equipment standards; grand scale vendor offerings; and, compiling an on-line motive power roster.
Sandiapaul

12" or 15" gauge, what is available?

Post by Sandiapaul »

Commercially what is available in these gauges? I'm interested in anything, but mainly steam. Castings, complete engines,cars, anything. This is not for me but I'm researching for a potential client.

Thanks!
Glenn Brooks

Re: 12" or 15" gauge, what is available?

Post by Glenn Brooks »

I personally like 12” gauge, for personal use, however 15” is by far, better suited for commercial operation. Larger carrying capacity per loco, more robust equipment, much more of an attraction than the smaller gauges. There are half a dozen vendors that supply parts, castings or ready to run in 15” ga. Almost no vendors in 12” gauge anymore. Also, used 15” equipment comes up for sale once in awhile, and there is a large pool of used 15-16” ga equipment equipment to choose from ( think MTC G-16’s regauged to 15”). If your client is a big time amusement park 24” ga is the amusement standard- double the ridership capacity( 2 person seating per seat) and more widespread uniformity of commercial parts, wheels, couplers, etc.

Btw, there is a complete 14” RR available for sale on Discover Live Steam. Located in the northeast I think. 2 Steam locos, rolling stock and a sizable bunch of track. Adkkng around $100 k last I read. This is a bargain for a package commercial deal.

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
LIALLEGHENY

Post by LIALLEGHENY »

Glenn,

Do you have a list of the 15" vendors and the parts/products they carry (steam related)? parts other than couplers, trucks & wheels? To narrow it down a little more...3"scale.

Nyle
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Nyle, I could put something together latter this evening. Mostly, 15” ga will be 5” scale. Alas, Almost no one produces 3” scale parts anymore. At least that I am aware of.

Glenn

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Sandiapaul

Post by Sandiapaul »

This is for a private track and I'd love to see that list too! I saw that one on DLS. I'm also thinking about Wasatch's Cagney.
Thanks,
Paul
LIALLEGHENY

Post by LIALLEGHENY »

Glenn,

That's what I have found, nothing is available in 3" scale. That brings me to my next question, what if anything is being sought after in 3" scale? or any of the larger scales for that matter?
I've been thinking about getting involved in possibly producing parts for 3" /large scale steam, or diesel , but have no idea if there is any calling for it.

Nyle
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Paul and Nyle,

I suspect there is some interest in 3” scale castings and parts, but so far as I know, no critical mass to support any kind of parts inventory. The last two significant producers of 3” scale equipment (12”- 15” park gauge equipment ) were Ottaway Amusements (12” ga 4-4-0 coal fired train sets in the early 1950’s) and the MTC product line (same era). MTC produced around 2000 train sets, Ottaway about 85. If it were me, I’d try to run a small foundry order of couplers or stakepockets - common useage things - stuff you can build something with, and sell the remainder - maybe do a coop thing with others.

Chance Amusements turns out the only significant 24” park gauge production loco these days - the (hideous 4-2-4) C.P. Huntington. Hill crest Farms, Merrick Locomotive, Redwood Valley Railroad, and a few other shops all produce various larger scale bits and pieces. And there are a couple of additional manufacturers that build larger gauge locos basically one at time. They mostly have a presence on DLS.com, but I can’t remember all the names offhand.

Also I’ve run into a number of people over time, who either have patterns, or once produced parts and have inventory in storage here and there. Just takes looking and poking under rocks to find stuff.

Mostly, the many individual 15” ga railroads currently in operation around the country, either make their own castings and parts, or have arranged a specialty supply channel to produce what they need for maintenance and repair.

So maybe this would be a good place to start a park gauge vendor thread, just to keep track of various parts opportunities as they come up. Iam sure I have missed an Important group of suppliers in my above ramblings.

Good luck on your search. let us know how it works out.

Glenn

rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

The shop I work at has been reaching into the large scale train market and offering a few laser cut parts for diesel locomotives and rolling stock for the "self-fabricator", mainly in the form of laser cut plate parts utilizing easily available and more industrial common parts instead of custom castings and so on. Do you want live steam? Or just the steam engine appearance and something more simple to maintain and operate?
STRR

Post by STRR »

Gentlemen,

Uhrich Locomotive Works in Strasburg, Colorado has or will make anything you desire. He has his own foundry, pattern shop, machine shop, and build shops. He also specializes in 15" trains, has built several of his own and for sale as well.

Merrick is also another great place to work with. Darryll has several patterns, makes and sells 15" trains.

Good Luck,
Terry
Sandiapaul

Post by Sandiapaul »

Thanks all! What happened to the Winton stuff?
holtSteamer

Post by holtSteamer »

Mammoth Locomotive Works in Colorado I believe sells the Winton 15" stuff. http://www.mammothlocomotiveworks.com/

Grand Scale Parts sells raw casting of different 5" scale/ 15" gauge parts. http://www.grandscaleparts.com/
Sandiapaul

Post by Sandiapaul »

holtSteamer, thanks for the links