A wish list for large scale castings

Discuss park gauge trains and large scale miniature railways having track gauges from 8" to 24" gauge and designed at scales of 2" to the foot or greater - whether modeled for personal use, or purpose built for amusement park operation or private railroading.

Moderators: Glenn Brooks, Harold_V

Forum rules
Topics may include: antique park gauge train restoration, preservation, and history; building new grand scale equipment from scratch; large scale miniature railway construction, maintenance, and safe operation; fallen flags; track, gauge, and equipment standards; grand scale vendor offerings; and, compiling an on-line motive power roster.
OddDuck

A wish list for large scale castings

Post by OddDuck »

Ok, so it seems like I have broken into casting things for large scale stuff. I have been told by several people that there is definitely a scarcity of suppliers for the larger scales.
Here's my question. Aside from trucks, what would you like to see cast for the larger scales?
"If you took the bones out they wouldn't be crunchy!" -Monty Python's Flying Circus
LIALLEGHENY

Re: A wish list for large scale castings

Post by LIALLEGHENY »

"Aside from trucks, what would you like to see cast for the larger scales?" Everything!

Scarcity would be an understatement. Then again it's not really a surprise, there is 2.5", 3", 3-3/4" and 5"scales, but depending on what your building it ranges from 7.25"/7.5", 12", 15" and 16" as the common track gauges( there are others). So there is a whole slew of variables depending on what parts you might be looking for. I have been trying to find castings for 3" scale Westinghouse cross compound compressors. I have one set that supposedly were from Little Engines in the 60's for the Seymour Johnson Hudson, and recently found castings listed for a slightly larger scale pump used on the Merrick engines, but nothing else. I've been inquiring about having patterns, and/or molds made to cast parts for 3" scale, but without doing enough quantities it is cost prohibitive.

Nyle
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

Everything? No prob. When would you like it? Haha... I suppose I opened myself up to that. That's the nice thing about being a hobby foundry and doing my own pattern work, small jobs aren't a deal breaker. Might take me a while, though. If you have dimensioned drawings it helps.
Pumps, ok. What else?
"If you took the bones out they wouldn't be crunchy!" -Monty Python's Flying Circus
LIALLEGHENY

Post by LIALLEGHENY »

The next question is how do you make your patterns? Do you print them , or are they wood? I recently inquired about having patterns made for the cylinder casting on a 3" scale Berkshire.....I was told about $20,000, and that doesn't include having them cast. I could also have a plastic mold printed for about $6700, but if i wanted another set cast I would need to spend another $6700. Granted it is a large part. I've been toying around with buying my own printer and doing some of the work myself, but haven't made that decision yet. Printers large enough to be useful to me are still quite expensive.

Nyle
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

Definitely old school (kinda sorta) pattern making here. I've thought about getting a printer, but I'd use it to make patterns for sandcasting instead of investment. Just out of curiosity, how big is the cylinder block? I am somewhat limited size wise. There's only so much one person can lift safety.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

We have a big open house tomorrow so I can’t reply right now but I would like to comment in a day or two. I’m thinking for 3” scale- definitely cylinders and 12 inch drivers; , even larger couplers in 3” inch would be cool.

Also MOW car parts such as 7 inch wheels and brake shoes, and 3 inch hand brake wheels would be really cool- can’t find those anywhere. There’s also the idea of making 1900 era wheels with curved spokes. I’ve always wanted to have those for a ww1 Hunslet trench RR loco build - can’t find them anywhere...

Incidentally, Charlie Pipes made up a batch of 6” diameter spiked wheels using shapeways to print the pattern, for me, a couple,of years ago. then cast the patterns for the foundry with Quickcast. shapeways patterns cost around $250. Don’t know what they charge now, but can’t image it would be $6000...

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
ChipsAhoy

Post by ChipsAhoy »

Using a small printer isn't too bad. This was done with four pieces glued together to make one pattern netting a pattern more than twice the size of the printer bed. There was of course a cope side and then a drag side. The original drawing was of one half only...printed, then a mirror was printed... then left, right, cope and drag glued together. Theroriticaly (sp) the size would be unlimited. But the bigger the pattern, the bigger the pain in the butt. But... doable.
Scotty
Truck 1.JPG
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

Chipsahoy, it would definitely help with making perfect mirror images. Was that just the pattern or the resulting casting?
ChipsAhoy

Post by ChipsAhoy »

IMG_20190806_205652.jpg
IMG_20190806_205652.jpg
That is the casting. We are making them for 7.5 guage and by just "shrinking" the drawing we are starting to pour these 'one piece cast archbars' for 1"scale 4- 3/4" guage. What I'm getting at is, only need to draw the part once then shrink or enlarge to the appropriate scale/guage. And by using the mirror technique it makes it easier to make larger scale items from what originally was drawn for other scales. That being said, there are a few dimensions that don't scale up or down without some minor compensation.
Here are a couple for making Locomotive jounal boxes. (Don't know how I managed to put two copies of the same image...sry).
Scotty
mattmason

Post by mattmason »

Scotty,

I'd be interested in those 1' Archbar trucks if you end up casting some extras. I have a few cars that could use them.
Matt Mason
ChipsAhoy

Post by ChipsAhoy »

Matt:
We intend to cast them for sale. Those you see in the above post are a test set. We have added tabs for hanging brake rigging. Also, the way we designed, one should be able to do the bulk of the machine work with one set-up. Which not only saves time, but should make keeping them "square" a none issue. Machine them, then cut them apart.
I will PM you when we have a set (two pair, enough for one car) ready in 1". You will own the first set from us, and as such will get a smokin' deal! The will come with or without cast iron wheels for the 7.5", we don't have wheels for the 1". Freight prepaid. Should be next weekend. These are intended to be priced to make it easy for beginners or a person who is cranking out a fleet of cars.
The set you see here were made from used rail 6061t, of course just 6061 now LOL. But we have the stock to offer some variety of pedigree aluminum. The 6061 rail is from MLS and will be sold as fund raiser castings at our fall meet in October. Along with locomotive journal boxes, and those same style trucks for 4-3/4" guage 1"scale.
My hope here is to be able to 'scale up' and also provide more for the larger scales.... someday.
Scotty
Last edited by ChipsAhoy on Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LIALLEGHENY

Post by LIALLEGHENY »

OddDuck,

The cylinders are approx. 34" x 16" deep x 18.5" tall....the tail cradle casting would be 68" x 32" x 9" height . These 2 are the biggest. The pilot truck casting would be another part of interest. Any of the components for the baker valve gear would also be of interest. As it stands right now I plan on making these parts from solid or from weldments.

Glenn, 3" couplers are available from RMI Railworks. They are on the website as cast iron, but I inquired and could get them in cast steel as well. Probably would require a minimum run.

Nyle